Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Let people set their own avatars on the forums
^

There's literally no good reason not to.
I definitely see the appeal, but just to play devil's advocate it could potentially make more work changing from what is essentially a whitelist only scenario to free for all. Might take significantly more work to change pictures that are inappropriate. I browse at work often and would not want something NSFW to pop up necessarily.
It literally takes one click in the board options. And if people are shits it's not like it'll be hard to deal with it.
While I don’t have any issue with people picking avatars I believe that assigned avatars are basically tradition at this point

Plus it’s funny to see what some people get assigned

I vote no change
(10-29-2018, 06:31 AM)Sov Wrote: Plus it’s funny to see what some people get assigned

I vote no change

^
There's one good reason not to, the random avatars are fun and practically a tradition at this point.

Yeah it's as easy as changing one setting, we decided to have that setting a certain way.

Anyway I'm not going to vote either way because I'm biased as hell since I came up with the random avatars thing in the first place. Whatever the community wants, I'll respect that. It definitely has nothing to do with worrying about NSFW avatars or people being jerks, like you said that'd be easy to handle and I'm sure hardly anyone would cause problems. Letting people set their avatars would be perfectly harmless, we just never did that because the random thing is funny.
I think it's a fun and goofy tradition. Even if I can change my avatar I'm still using that thread.
I prefer the tradition, the admin sass on some of our avatars is fun
But few things add joy to my life as much as seeing what shitty image I'll have represent me for the year.

plus i guarantee there would be a shit ton of anime avatars.

Including me.

[Image: latest?cb=20161204204339]

There is no way I won't use this if given the chance.

Do the right thing. Don't let me do it.
you'd have to look at this face every day 
[Image: I4BBMIO.png]
i am biased towards the status quo, since i super duper like choosing avatars for folks.
Doesn't matter much to me, but if it's possible there could be a middle of the road option where the admins select a bunch of potential avatars for users to decide on, and claim.
No, It took me hard work to get a passable, un-offensive avatar here. I had to make like 3 requests. I refuse to allow the next generation of space game players to not have to suffer as I did to enjoy an avatar of similar quality to my own.
i say no cause people are bad but admin choices are good and fun
The random assignment of avatars is great and I believe letting people be able to select them themselves would take away from how special they are/meaning. I find the best things in life come with working with/around limitation. Like having to play admin roulette for your avatar.

Even if they missed me last time I posted in that thread so I'm stuck with the horse mask. It's probably the cursed one or something.