Mentor Application: The Card
So, I'm assuming I just plonk this down here?
Usual Character Name: Eric Todd/Doctor Todd
BYOND Username:Thecard365
Recommended by (if applicable): Does "myself" count?
Times Available:Typically late afternoon, like 6-12 Eastern Standard Time.

Reason for Application + Game Experience (300 word minimum): Well, I've been playing SS13 for quite some time, definitely no less time than a year. I've played every role at least a couple times (with the exception of HoS --for obvious reasons-- and captain -I've only rolled it once, and I didn't really like it), so I know the basics of them all. I actually haven't played that much on the servers too recently, but I've picked up everything except the new genetic modification and the engine. Back before this past September, I played on Gibbed 4 as Ol Charlie, and I played way too much than is healthy for a person. So that's where I got most of my experience, was back on Donut and early mushroom.

I decided to apply as a mentor because I genuinely enjoy helping people. I don't play antagonist roles if I can help it, because antagonistic behavior does not come naturally to me. Yesterday, I was playing a round, and someone happened to be stuck in disposals behind some flaps. I told him to lie down, then stand up, because there was literally no other way out short of breaking a wall down. I realized people sometimes needed instruction that they couldn't find out from the wiki, and I realized I could help.

I haven't really been on these forums before today, so I haven't really talked with y'all too much out of the game (just at the ends of the round), but I've never really gotten a "what the fuck were you doing, asshole?" reaction from anyone, so I think I'm doing my jobs correctly. My memory can be a bit spotty at times, but I generally don't screw things up. I generally can pick up new tricks pretty well, but I am in no way the most capable crew member. I prefer to run instead of fighting, but not if there's someone else in danger. I generally try to keep everyone alive that I can; that doesn't always work out for the best. My hesitation to kill antagonists is often the cause of my death, and has allowed a traitor to wreak havoc on a few occasions.
On the whole, I try my very best to not be an asshole, and I get far more pleasure out of healing someone who was in crit, than I get out of beating an antagonist to death. If I'm taking down a baddie for some reason, I always go for incapacitation first.

I'm actually quite proud that as medical doctor (my favorite job, actually) I often fulfill the "no harmful action all round" objective when I have it.

Your opinion of Shrek (5 word minimum): Wha... I don't even... I... liked it? Maybe? It was a thing, I know that much.

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application, lying about it will): None. I think. If I was, I didn't notice it and I wasn't told about it.
I've no bloody clue who you are, but honestly you seem like a really nice dude. I'll say yes because it's always nice to have someone who's genuinely interested in helping on board, but you should try play a bit more on Gibbed #3/LLJK #1.
(it will forever be Gibbed #3 to me)
i've only seen you once ever in OOC chat on LLJK #2 ( which was yesterday) and uh... yeah, i'd probably say yes if i had seen you in some rounds.

also, no harmful action all round is a bugged optional objective, it always registers as successful even if you have harmed someone.

perhaps we play mainly on different servers, i play on LLJK #2 almost exclusively, and i don't know what you play normally.
I haven't seen you at all in game or in OOC so I can't really say anything about what you know or who you are, so I'm going to have to default to no due to inactivity/scaraceness and lack of citable information.
I'm tied up. I play on Gibbed 4 only, and at night till morn. I'm not sure if I have ever ran into you, but application wise, you show that you know how to do shit, and you have the typing skills to actually help someone. If I had to base it on your application, a yes, but since I have never seen you, I have to say... maybe? Good luck, and if you deserve it, you'll get it! Try to make a name for yourself! cool
Same here, I haven't seen you much and I mainly play on G3/LLJK1. But if you're as knowledgeable as you seem to be, and you promise not to treat mentorhelp as a club house, I'm cool with it.
If I have any reservations, it's because we seem to already have a lot of active mentors now, and in not sure if it's necessary to accept more, especially if it's a player that no one knows that well.
yes, you seem like a good fit for mentor, if you have any reservations to answering a person's question, just direct them to the wiki.
to be honest, I dont think I've ever seen you in-game. And I play a decent bit on both servers.
or maybe im too dumb to remember
BillyMays Wrote:to be honest, I dont think I've ever seen you in-game. And I play a decent bit on both servers.
or maybe im too dumb to remember
Never seen you before. Based on your application, I'd say you seem like a pretty cool guy, but since no one seems to have witnessed you in action i'm a little wary.
Who gives a shit if you don't know who he is, he's asking for the ability to answer new players' questions. It's not like the job comes with a brick of cocaine and a tank, if he can string enough words together to fill out the application, seem competent doing so, and doesn't appear to be a piece of shit, why the fuck not?
bubs Wrote:Who gives a shit if you don't know who he is, he's asking for the ability to answer new players' questions. It's not like the job comes with a brick of cocaine and a tank, if he can string enough words together to fill out the application, seem competent doing so, and doesn't appear to be a piece of shit, why the fuck not?

Well for one seeming and being are two different things. Most of us have never seen the guy and for all we know he could be a dumbarse who came on once saw the forums applied and pissed off.

Two being availability seeing as again, we've pretty much never seen him online and it doesn't really make sense to make someone a mentor if they're never going to actually be there to help.

And a third being its really not that hard to bullshit the 300 word minimum for the application and make yourself seem somewhat knowledgeable.

Mostly it boils down to some of us think it would be better to give mentor status to people we actually know will be there to help instead of just tossing it around.
and if it turns out to be bullshit and he's never, ever there, he'll be either 1. removed or 2. left as a mentor but then not there

it's not like there are limited places or some magical ultra-special reward, he's literally asking us "can I help out occasionally" and people are writing essays on why he shouldn't
Xeram Wrote:
bubs Wrote:bluh bluh as long as he's good
blah blah he might be bullshitting this, he'll never be on

Some of the admins and mentors (and those old HoSs) appear once in a blue moon, and it's not like they get ejected.