Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Move the genetics consoles and chairs to the medbay lobby
The chairs, specifically, should be right in the flow of traffic.

tl;dr make it easier to annoy genetecists and harder for them to ignore the entire station for the entire round
There's already a genetics console board in tech storage.
I don't see how putting them in the way of others would make them pay attention to the station more.
the consoles being out in the open would make the geneticist job completely irrelevant. Their current job is more or less "sit in the nerd room researching shit so when people roll up and ask for superpowers they can have them, with the additional bonus that you get first dibs on everything". If anyone can just sit around, research their own shit and get it for free, what's the point of geneticists?

(Well, I think genetics also gets pathology access in some or all maps, maybe? Can't remember. Either way, that's more of an ancillary thing)
(10-14-2018, 11:01 PM)cyberTripping Wrote: "sit in the nerd room researching shit so when people roll up and ask for superpowers they can have them, with the additional bonus that you get first dibs on everything".

Exactly. I don't see why complaining about some geneticists refusing to interact with the station is so popular when all you have to do is ask them for your powers, or any stabilized goodies they might have. If they refuse to respond, that's their loss because they're missing out on more used needles that are very beneficial to them.
(10-15-2018, 12:17 AM)Skornzy Wrote:
(10-14-2018, 11:01 PM)cyberTripping Wrote: "sit in the nerd room researching shit so when people roll up and ask for superpowers they can have them, with the additional bonus that you get first dibs on everything".

Exactly. I don't see why complaining about some geneticists refusing to interact with the station is so popular when all you have to do is ask them for your powers, or any stabilized goodies they might have. If they refuse to respond, that's their loss because they're missing out on more used needles that are very beneficial to them.

Yeah. Seems like this whole thing about how Geneticists are so removed from the round comes from the fact that *you* have to interact with *them* ya lazy fricks.

Problem is that the gene console ui thing distracts from the chat window, so it's kinda hard to tell when someone is asking if they could include you in their round. Maybe add in a little dingle bell by the door to get their attention \ pester the frick out of them.
Just put their lab closer to the main hall.
People complain about geneticists sitting in their lab all round doing nothing, BUT at the same time they see no issue in isolating genetics even more by placing them the further.

Some locations are going to be visited wether they're directly next to the main hallway or a bit farther.
Transposing one of them with genetics would cause more interactions with the crew for a few reasons.

- People don't necessarily want to go out of their way to get powers especially since they can expect only useless things half the time from activators, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't mind a quick injector if they don't have to get out of their way to acquire it. Don't neglect that, even if it takes no time to go through maint or medbay to get there, it's still a movement you don't bother to do unless maybe you're a traitor or preparing to combat one.
- A consequence of the first : more direct interaction with the crew (instead of sometimes ignored calls for visitors over the radio) means they just -have- to take the crew into consideration. You can't ignore people bashing windows to get in, and you're going to get more of that and more often if you keep ignoring people now that your department is in the open.
You're also more likely to get attacked by a traitor I guess ? Depending on how much more you're attacked, you may start paying more attention to the radio and to who's passing by your department, now that it's no longer at a dead end.

I was thinking (for cog1) about where robotics is. People are going to use robotics wether it's located closer to the main hall or where genetics is at the moment. The benefits for both the crew and the geneticists would be greater than the loss of roboticists' view on the main hallway.
But that's never going to happen, people just hate this department. It's hated because of the braindead (lack of) behavior of some geneticists (it seems?), but see no issue making this problem bigger by isolating them.
(10-14-2018, 11:01 PM)cyberTripping Wrote: the consoles being out in the open would make the geneticist job completely irrelevant. Their current job is more or less "sit in the nerd room researching shit so when people roll up and ask for superpowers they can have them, with the additional bonus that you get first dibs on everything". If anyone can just sit around, research their own shit and get it for free, what's the point of geneticists?

(Well, I think genetics also gets pathology access in some or all maps, maybe? Can't remember. Either way, that's more of an ancillary thing)

Medical Doctors get access to pathology. No need to roll geneticist.

(10-15-2018, 03:50 AM)Haprenti Wrote: Just put their lab closer to the main hall.
People complain about geneticists sitting in their lab all round doing nothing, BUT at the same time they see no issue in isolating genetics even more by placing them the further.

Some locations are going to be visited wether they're directly next to the main hallway or a bit farther.
Transposing one of them with genetics would cause more interactions with the crew for a few reasons.

- People don't necessarily want to go out of their way to get powers especially since they can expect only useless things half the time from activators, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't mind a quick injector if they don't have to get out of their way to acquire it. Don't neglect that, even if it takes no time to go through maint or medbay to get there, it's still a movement you don't bother to do unless maybe you're a traitor or preparing to combat one.
- A consequence of the first : more direct interaction with the crew (instead of sometimes ignored calls for visitors over the radio) means they just -have- to take the crew into consideration. You can't ignore people bashing windows to get in, and you're going to get more of that and more often if you keep ignoring people now that your department is in the open.
You're also more likely to get attacked by a traitor I guess ? Depending on how much more you're attacked, you may start paying more attention to the radio and to who's passing by your department, now that it's no longer at a dead end.

I was thinking (for cog1) about where robotics is. People are going to use robotics wether it's located closer to the main hall or where genetics is at the moment. The benefits for both the crew and the geneticists would be greater than the loss of roboticists' view on the main hallway.
But that's never going to happen, people just hate this department. It's hated because of the braindead (lack of) behavior of some geneticists (it seems?), but see no issue making this problem bigger by isolating them.

Cog1 actually has the best genetics because it's in a position where you can help out with doctoring/cloning. On any other map it's hard to tell when/where help is needed except via the PDA mailbot.
put genetics in the trench
Almost every genetics room has easy public access.
If you're complaining that Genetics don't interact with you either they're losing out or you're not trying.

I think mushroom is the only real exception but I could be wrong.
I dislike the map too much to remember it.
(10-15-2018, 10:46 PM)Technature Wrote: Almost every genetics room has easy public access.
If you're complaining that Genetics don't interact with you either they're losing out or you're not trying.

I think mushroom is the only real exception but I could be wrong.
I dislike the map too much to remember it.

Actually it's donut 2 that had genetics completely isolated from the rest of medbay. Which was bad for both the geneticists and doctors.

Mushroom's was actually directly connected to cloning.
I knew one of the maps was more bad than the others somehow...