Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
The change to the Russian Station should be reverted
Magalor and Flourish, those are excellent ideas. Why not combine them and move the chem dispenser elsewhere entirely and have the shuttle be devoted to "organic" solutions? Just growing plants is a neat enough side activity on its own.
I loved to do the botany there, cook meals in the diner, deliver them to the station, then grow drugs for the trip back, but even I realize the chemistry machine there tends to be used for nefarious purposes more often than goofy secret chems or huge floods of simethicone.
My suggestion is to please also delete everything outside of the station Z level and get rid of telescience.
I haven't played after the change was made and won't be able to for a while, but I really support this change. There's already three places with chem dispensers on every map, one of which is patho which is typically empty. There was no reason to go botanist because you could grow plants just as well if not better as an assistant in debris. Now you have to ask the AI or a botanist or the HoP to let you into hydro. Or you could break in. Or you could be a botanist yourself. I don't think off-station hydro or chem is needed and if it never existed it wouldn't be a thing people would ask for a lot since there are already ways to do hydro as a non-botanist and chem as a non-medicalsciencebarman.
After a brief discussion in the discord, I came to the conclusion that removing the chem dispenser and heater (and possibly Chemmaster), but keeping botany and the reagent extractor would be the best.
Well, neither is an off-station diner, yet it exists. You do raise a good point about there not needing to be more chem dispensers. An off-station botany wouldn't hurt anyone (much?).
(10-10-2018, 11:30 AM)Flaborized Wrote: I haven't played after the change was made and won't be able to for a while, but I really support this change. There's already three places with chem dispensers on every map, one of which is patho which is typically empty. There was no reason to go botanist because you could grow plants just as well if not better as an assistant in debris. Now you have to ask the AI or a botanist or the HoP to let you into hydro. Or you could break in. Or you could be a botanist yourself. I don't think off-station hydro or chem is needed and if it never existed it wouldn't be a thing people would ask for a lot since there are already ways to do hydro as a non-botanist and chem as a non-medicalsciencebarman.

the issue is you're basically leaving the goals of what people want to do in a round up to the whims of others.
I agree that the kitchen stuff doesn't need to be there. Also the robotics lab in faint signal. Even the mech lab seems unnecessary to me. The hydro in debris was safer to use for everyone, including botanists. Why take the risk of working alongside another botanist when I could fly out to debris and do the exact same job in a more enclosed, safe environment? I also like the interaction of "if you want to grow something you at least have to be in the same room as a botanist". I think that in some cases, you should have to interact with others to do what you want to do in a round. I think it's part of the spirit of the game. If you wanna grow plants, you gotta deal with the potheads growing weed in the same room.
(10-10-2018, 11:37 AM)MrMagolor Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 11:30 AM)Flaborized Wrote: I haven't played after the change was made and won't be able to for a while, but I really support this change. There's already three places with chem dispensers on every map, one of which is patho which is typically empty. There was no reason to go botanist because you could grow plants just as well if not better as an assistant in debris. Now you have to ask the AI or a botanist or the HoP to let you into hydro. Or you could break in. Or you could be a botanist yourself. I don't think off-station hydro or chem is needed and if it never existed it wouldn't be a thing people would ask for a lot since there are already ways to do hydro as a non-botanist and chem as a non-medicalsciencebarman.

the issue is you're basically leaving the goals of what people want to do in a round up to the whims of others.

I mean they did offer "break in" which requires nobody but yourself. Door hacking is so easy its kind of a joke.
(10-10-2018, 11:49 AM)Dions Wrote:

I mean they did offer "break in" which requires nobody but yourself. Door hacking is so easy its kind of a joke.
i think off station hydroponics is the better option to keep on the shuttle. there are several chem dispensers on every station, and having all of them be destroyed before you're able to get a scan is improbable. there is only one hydroponics area on each station, and it can get crowded with multiple botanists. i'm all for the russian ship being used for botany only and having the chem dispenser removed.
(getting into the russian shuttle would probably be about as difficult as getting a quartermaster to buy you some trays.)
(10-10-2018, 12:21 PM)Wraithcraft Wrote:

i think off station hydroponics is the better option to keep on the shuttle. there are several chem dispensers on every station, and having all of them be destroyed before you're able to get a scan is improbable. there is only one hydroponics area on each station, and it can get crowded with multiple botanists. i'm all for the russian ship being used for botany only and having the chem dispenser removed.

I've gotta agree with this take probably. 

Seems the key is that features which are destructively powerful but nerfed by their relative complexity & time investment are significantly worsened by being provided a safe haven in which to do em- whereas complex & time intensive tasks which are less munchkin are enriched by a little peace and quiet. 

The same could be said about the traffic levels through toxins
If I'm being honest adding a single hellmonkey (barrel monkey) with sunglasses would be great

Yeah but what if you don't want to be super rude?
(10-10-2018, 11:29 AM)boaty Wrote: My suggestion is to please also delete everything outside of the station Z level and get rid of telescience.

I like the way you think, kid
There's been many interesting interactions for me on both the shuttle and faint signal.

People should be able to be social when they want to, not because they have to.
(10-10-2018, 10:17 AM)Readster Wrote: I too think the best way to play this game is to sit in a dark room by myself all round

well, what's wrong with that? taking away player agency+choice for no reason other than personal taste is bad game design imo
(10-13-2018, 12:49 AM)babayetu83 Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 10:17 AM)Readster Wrote: I too think the best way to play this game is to sit in a dark room by myself all round

well, what's wrong with that? taking away player agency+choice for no reason other than personal taste is bad game design imo

I agree. Plus geneticists already do this and they dont get drastic changes some could say chem nerds do too yet they dont get changes. If it’s okay for them to sit in a dark room alone all round then why cant people use the russian station for the same reason.