Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
[Feature] Force touching artifacts
grab someone and force them to touch an artifact

https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...orce-touch
So you're basically enabling lucky scientists to have a free 6 TC item?
*scream
(10-10-2018, 02:01 PM)MrMagolor Wrote: So you're basically enabling lucky scientists to have a free 6 TC item?

lucky scientists have been having free TC items for a long time
(10-10-2018, 02:01 PM)MrMagolor Wrote: So you're basically enabling lucky scientists to have a free 6 TC item?

a *very lucky *traitor scientist to have a free 6 TC item they couldn't normally get, yeah. it's a rare artifact and using it while not a traitor is rude and adminhelpable. if anything, this patch adds a way to check if the artifact will kill you when you touch it.
Yeah, my first thought was that this would be op or annoying, but really it's only logical. I've definitely tried to get someone to touch an artifact this way before, so i think it makes sense. Also, wraithcraft is right, all of science can be OP thanks to randomness, that's not a reason not to add this.

Should log it as combat or something though. Well I'm sure if someone merged that they would do it.
(10-11-2018, 05:19 AM)Wraithcraft Wrote:

a *very lucky *traitor scientist to have a free 6 TC item they couldn't normally get, yeah. it's a rare artifact and using it while not a traitor is rude and adminhelpable. if anything, this patch adds a way to check if the artifact will kill you when you touch it.

Borger artifacts are not that uncommon.
Forcing someone to touch a borger should just rip both people's arms off and spit out some random robot parts.

This could be *kinda* useful for touch-testing artifacts that you dont really want to touch. Then again, the same functionality could be implemented to severed limbs...

This would make those occasions more threatening when the borgs find a borger and their laws tell them to make people touch it. If the borgs could actually grab people. Which they can't. Darn.

Other than borgers and jailors, what other artifacts would become a problem if you could force people to grope them?
I was iffy on this at first but then I thought a bit and am now convinced this is a good patch.

1. It allows scientists to use monkeys to safely test for borgifacts

2. It could make for an interesting traitor gimmick

3. But on the flip side it is very risky, as doing this without subverting the AI will almost certainly spawn in a Borg that immediately screeches over the radio and bolts you in a room.

A few suggestions that aren't needed but may be nice:
Lock borgifacts behind activation like most artifacts to make it harder to do this.
Make borgifacts have a significant chance of just replacing a limb or two. E.g. 30%
Let people resist their way out before it finishes borging
Great patch idea, but yes I agree, borger, injector and partial borger, anything that harms, should have a chance of affecting the holder as well as the holdee.
what if: full grab needed and a short progress bar, you can resist out of grabs.
(10-15-2018, 08:58 PM)Rocket Wrote: what if: full grab needed and a short progress bar, you can resist out of grabs.

Chances are if you're grabbed and the grabber wants to do something bad to you, you're also stunned, which resisting won't help with.
It always seemed a little silly to me that artifact-converted borgs that have been emagged or have laws allowing them to harm humans really can't force-convert people. I like it. Also agree with the "short progress bar" thing.
Honestly, I'm fine with this.

Why?

It beats stuffing someone into disposals, or spacing them, or beating them to death. Being creative with your murdering is ALWAYS fun, even when you're the victim! Being blown up for no reason is boring, but being forced to touch an artifact then subsequently gibbed from GBS is hilarious, not gonna lie.
This is a good patch. There's much more to this than just "Kill random guy with large artifact".

Here's a few ideas that I literally just thought of that you could do with this:

1. Use the borger artifact for fast and free shells if used with monkeys
2. Use the injection artifact to collect rare chems from monkeys
3. Force a person in a prison artifact for a science version of a port-a-brig. Stop that rampager in his tracks!