Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Antagonist Idea - The Mummy
The crew has disturbed an ancient space sarcophagus, and unleashed a horrible curse upon the station! Who will survive the wrath of The Mummy?

This being the month of October, and with werewolves in rotation, I was thinking about how to expand the horror canon in SS13, and how to meaningfully differentiate it from other antagonists. Of the "classic" horror monsters, this is the one that is most obviously missing to me right now.

The general gameplay design for the Mummy is that it is slow, powerful, unstoppable (but disruptable), and extremely targeted.

When I say unstoppable, I mean it. Mummies are immune to ALL damage. Beating them with toolboxes will do nothing, they will happily march through a plasma fire, they can't be pushed and they don't care about exposure to space. They're like the Terminator.

To counterbalance this, Mummies are slow and EXTREMELY fixated on one target. At round start, one random crew member is chosen to be a victim of the Mummy's curse. The Mummy is only able to directly harm this crew member; outside of a couple of non-harmful abilities, all other crew members cannot be targeted by the Mummy, even for grabs and punches. If the cursed crew member is caught by the Mummy and killed by their hand, the Mummy gains a point and the curse transfers to a new crew member. The curse also automatically transfers every 5 - 10 minutes. The Mummy is able to know where the cursed crew member is at all times in order to hunt them down.

Mummies are only able to move at walk speed, and they can smash through walls and pry open doors. They are also able to return to a random point on the station if for some reason they become trapped somewhere.

Suggested Abilities

Locate - Informs you of the current whereabouts of your victim, which direction they're in, and their current status.
Swarm of Locusts - Unleashes a cloud of biting insects around you, stunning everyone nearby for a short time.
Hex - Causes something bad to happen to the cursed crew member, regardless of distance. This could be a variety of things; they could get shocked by a nearby APC, if they're in a pod it could catch on fire, a vending machine could fall on them, a door could close on them, or they could simply trip and hit their head.
Scarab - Deploys a remotely controlled bug that is able to move like ghost critters, and has a similar limited amount of health. By directing the scarab to the cursed crew member and clicking on them while next to them, the scarab burrows under their skin and remote control is ended. From this point on the afflicted crew member suffers random stuns and disruption to their movement. Can only affect cursed crew member, and can be removed with surgery.
The Mummy Returns - Teleports you to a random position on the station. 5 Minute cooldown.
Doom - When used in touching distance of the cursed crew member, this instantly kills them in one of a variety of horrific and interesting ways. They could be turned to gold, reduced to ash, their skeleton leaps out and beats them to death, instagibbed, eaten alive by locusts, or any other cool stuff people can suggest.

[Image: 1Wdfn7i.gif]
Being absurdly slow sounds extremely unfun to play, especially since you can't do anything other than annoy other crew members besides your victim. You will just get walled away from your target constantly.
Maybe this could also change the faustian contracts for mummification?
(10-01-2018, 03:29 AM)Berrik Wrote: Being absurdly slow sounds extremely unfun to play, especially since you can't do anything other than annoy other crew members besides your victim. You will just get walled away from your target constantly.

the post mentions only moving at walk speed, which isnt too bad. i think its meant to be a play off of pursuit predation, since it looks like the mummy is infinitely durable and probably doesn't have a stamina limit. since it can get through doors and walls, it might be less boring than it sounds to hunt your target? 

i'd recommend adding something to deter people from just like... going to the void to get away from the mummy. maybe the mummy's curse means that you can't leave the z-level?
Would like to mention that "random position" for The Mummy Returns should probably select from a whitelist of teleport locations (like when you ghost teleport). If you just teleport to a random floor tile you risk junk like getting trapped in the anime mask room in clarion.

Also, if the mummy is impervious, what's the countermeasure to make sure people don't go Ass Day with it? Smashing walls and prying doors could let a mummy vent critical parts of the station incredibly easily, not to mention improvised welding fuel bombs and the like.
I like it, but have one concern: if the Mummy is totally unstoppable and unbeatable, why would the staff not just immediately call the Escape Shuttle when they find a Mummy seeing as it's the only way to 'win'? You can't do anything to stop it by hanging around, after all.

I mean defeating the Mummy would need to be pretty difficult, probably harder than a Wraith even, but it should be possible.
The mummy would essentially be a meatcube with a vendetta. I do like that idea though! Maybe give it some more interaction with the crew, such as allowing the mummy to wallop anyone who gets in its way, having it target an entire role or department, stuff like that.

Also keep in mind that the mummy'll be incredibly obvious, and thus should be able to, in some way, stand a chance against a full-scale crew assault. Wizards handle this with AoE spells and teleportation, blobs handle this by being fuckhuge, and nukeops handle this by gibbing themselves with rockets.
This sounds like a fun Halloween thing. I believe this should all be doable already with admin tools. Give them the unkillable trait, set some custom traitor objectives, change their speed, give them wizard clairvoyance. Perhaps we could ask an admin to try this out and have some Guinea pigs report back on how fun it is and offer suggestions?
I feel like the mummies abilities should all be tied to making their prey easier to catch

Stuff that slows them down
Stuff that hinders their abilities
Stuff that dissuades others from helping them
Stuff that moves the mummy closer to them

Like, if the mummy is cursing these people, they should have all kinds of jinxes, hexes, and other misfortunes they can throw at them.

How about, as a method of defeating a mummy, the players have to solve a riddle or puzzle that ends the curse?

Something that involves placing certain items in certain places in certain ways

"When the clown's temptation meets the silent fools facade on holy ground, the mummy's curse will not be found" IE pie the mime in the chapel
I think that this could be neat if used in conjunction with other 'horror' antags. Hell, I do like the idea of antags that aren't incentivized to, punished for, or are even physically incapable of murderboner rampages, like Spy Thieves. I'm not sure as to how fun this would be in practice, but it doesn't sound terrible!

Also I like Frank's idea of cryptic puzzles/riddles to end the curse. Probably would have to refresh with each new target. Heck, the puzzle/riddle could be related to the job of the target, with the target being unknown at first to anyone except the mummy.
related :

https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=10769

i'm basically gonna mirror the suggestions in that thread
Mummies should give soul gems when gibbed/butchered.
Some curse ideas
1. Cluwne level tripping
2. Painful Flatulence
3. Constant minor bleeding
4. Occasional spontaneous human combustion

I figure they all both slow the person down while making them easier to find from blood trails, light from fire, and noises from farts
have the swarm of locusts also eat food and destroy plants just cause locusts
The locust grabs the cheese sandwich right out of your hand!