Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Public Teleport Portal
idea to make coordinating teleport expeditions easier and thus more likely to happen

add the ability for the teleport console to make another perm portal, this one whose entrance is in some public place on the station and exit is at specified XYZ coordinates. maybe the entrance would be at a demarcated spot in the courtroom, or right outside the research wing, or in crew quarters/jazz lounge/some poorly monitored but easy to get to place

useful scientists can use it to set up a place for crew to go on a field trip to ice planet/biodome/whatever without having to get access into research and crowding the tiny telelab, making it easier to manage when the AI/HoP isn't around to help. could also be used to set up a bypass-- if the airbridge is locked down or the southern half of the station blown up, open up the public portal to link to the escape arm

traitor scientists/AIs can set it to link to deep space/the crusher and lure folks in with promises of riches and adventure. or other traitors could use it to more conveniently bring horrible monsters back from the expeditions onto the station
Yes pls
I would find this very useful. I support this idea fullheartedly.

Yes. Just yes.
Wasn't this the (soon to be implemented) point of the Observatory that's above Crew Quarters?
APARTHEID Wrote:Wasn't this the (soon to be implemented) point of the Observatory that's above Crew Quarters?

No, that was to scan for interesting telescience locations so expeditions aren't a matter of figuring out which distress beacon is the Ice Caves and then going to that one forever.
It would be nice if there was a way to let them place the first portal more places without the obvious griefing that would happen.

But really, now that i think about it griefing would be basically as easy anyways, just make the entrance room a hostile environment (plasma fire, open to space, space yeti) and place the other portal on the station in a hall.

So why not just let us have two portals anywhere, for ultimate cool science guy potential?

Either way i am totally for this idea.
How close is telescience to the hangar? How about a little maintenance-access hallway that leads to the teleport chamber? The scientist can control the blast doors to keep people from running in, sort of like how the QMs have it.
MyBlueCorners Wrote:How close is telescience to the hangar? How about a little maintenance-access hallway that leads to the teleport chamber? The scientist can control the blast doors to keep people from running in, sort of like how the QMs have it.
How about another air-bridge?
Telescience can already kind of do this. You can set up a Perm Portal from telescience to somewhere on the station, and when people walk into it you shut it down and then teleport them wherever. Adding in a way to streamline the process would simply make it faster, easier, and a lot more user-friendly. I'm all for this.

What if you just gave Telescience two consoles? Each one can scan, each one can teleport to/from the pad, but if you activate a Perm Portal with both, it links the two locations you've got in each computer. So you have one telescientist trying to figure out locations on the station, so he can plop a portal in the jazz lounge, and you have another one scanning for the Ice Moon. Once they've both got it figured out, they both hit the Perm Portal, and it puts a linked portal from the jazz lounge straight to the Ice Moon.
Almost forgot, if you have two computers, it also makes griffing your fellow telescientist much more fun! Just put in random coordinates, wait until he teleports something to the pad with his console, and then zap it away before he can react!
Ronnyfire Wrote:It would be nice if there was a way to let them place the first portal more places without the obvious griefing that would happen.

But really, now that i think about it griefing would be basically as easy anyways, just make the entrance room a hostile environment (plasma fire, open to space, space yeti) and place the other portal on the station in a hall.

So why not just let us have two portals anywhere, for ultimate cool science guy potential?

I was thinking of that initially but somehow I expect the old 'block off one half of the airbridge and put a death portal in the other half' gag would get run into the ground really, really quickly
It'd be no worse, or more unusual, than disabling the airbridge to cut the station in half. If anything, it'd be easier to work around, because you can bash the windows or try to fix/RCD away the broken door. Plus, you'd know exactly who to blame and kill.
mozi Wrote:
Ronnyfire Wrote:-Snip-

I was thinking of that initially but somehow I expect the old 'block off one half of the airbridge and put a death portal in the other half' gag would get run into the ground really, really quickly

Bit what i was saying is it would be nearly as easy for anyone who actually wanted to be a dick to just make the first portal inhospitable, plasma fire or something.

If we actually get support for the idea it would be nice at least to try it out with both portals and see if it is any more terrible than your way, because the cool side of it would be way cooler.
I'm going to see if I can swap the teleporter and RD offices around and put a toggled blast door facing the public hallways. I feel like that would be the most simple way to handle this.
At the very least, it'll make calling for volunteers a lot easier. No more ferrying people in and out.