Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Wild West Station
A well-armed frontier town "station" on a desert planet, for people to kill the sheriff and for admins to play Morricone stuff over.

Do please peruse this Google Doc with a bunch of brainstorming in it! Or just look at the following low quality screenshots, I guess.

[Image: 1LovhCH.jpg]

[Image: Xkcn7vZ.jpg]

[Image: FSLDmIX.jpg]

[Image: ks9UNCP.jpg]

[Image: 137UI9r.jpg]

[Image: 6EbGYHa.jpg]

[Image: bEQ0DgK.jpg]

Anyways, this is the ideas subforum, so please fire away!
(I am sorry this post is so ugly)
(09-16-2018, 07:00 PM)LovelyMimic Wrote: A well-armed frontier town "station" on a desert planet, for people to kill the sheriff and for admins to play Morricone stuff over.

Do please peruse this Google Doc with a bunch of brainstorming in it! Or just look at the following low quality screenshots, I guess.

[Image: 1LovhCH.jpg]

[Image: Xkcn7vZ.jpg]

[Image: FSLDmIX.jpg]

[Image: ks9UNCP.jpg]

[Image: 137UI9r.jpg]

[Image: 6EbGYHa.jpg]

[Image: bEQ0DgK.jpg]

Anyways, this is the ideas subforum, so please fire away!
(I am sorry this post is so ugly)

If this is the wild west, and everyone has a gun, I think there should be guidelines on escalation specific to that map. At least on the RP server anyway.

For instance, High noon showdowns are fair game should both players agree. 

Gangs could easily play a role in creating shootout situations, or just straight up robbing people, since you join a gang and now you're cocky enough to flash your gun around.
Really cool concept. One issue I'm struggling with is how to force player interaction on map that should be designed to be very open
(09-16-2018, 08:59 PM)New525 Wrote: Really cool concept. One issue I'm struggling with is how to force player interaction on map that should be designed to be very open

I think one idea that's kinda been developing is to have the map broken into about three main outpost areas, with a bit of distance between them. Each outpost is a bit self governing, but they'll be geared towards the main departments. An example is each outpost having a medbay, but only one has genetics and robotics.

Each area would have it's own merchants, and money could be made buying from one area to sell to another.

Traveling however exposes you to a harsh arid climate, requiring you to prepare for journeys with a stock of supplies like water, or a quicker means on the roads like a horse or vehicle.

The main roads would be the safest, while the wild desert exposes you to greater heat and hazards like aggressive wildlife

(09-16-2018, 07:31 PM)atomic1fire Wrote: If this is the wild west, and everyone has a gun, I think there should be guidelines on escalation specific to that map. At least on the RP server anyway.

For instance, High noon showdowns are fair game should both players agree. 

Gangs could easily play a role in creating shootout situations, or just straight up robbing people, since you join a gang and now you're cocky enough to flash your gun around.

I figure dueling should be allowed. Challenge someone, and if they accept you have a quick draw. Otherwise, shooting first should immediately qualify you for arrest or execution if you don't yield
all currency is meat please
I can't help but think of the awful combination that Wild Guns and Space Station 13 would make.
So I was initially not huge on the idea of bespoke heat exhaustion mechanics, but after some thought, I've concluded that getting hosed for not wearing a hat out of town isn't actually super harsh, given what happens on other stations when you step outside without internals. This seems roughly analogous to that.

I'm rather more concerned about the feasibility of having multiple player-occupied department-settlements. As Kubius put it:

[Image: N4uuxWp.jpg]

And like, Samedi's departments weren't separated by sweltering heat and the risk of bandit attacks. I just think the considerable work it would take to make this function would be better spent elsewhere.

That said, I'm certainly not opposed to the idea of there being nondepartmental outposts to travel to, with traders buying and selling cool goods at different prices. I just don't want to spread out the actual station. Well, town.
(09-17-2018, 07:25 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: all currency is meat please

Replace fireball with a lava bean
at last my dream of wooden cyborgs will come to fruition
Added some stuff to the doc
  • A Day to Night cycle
  • Vehicles that run on fuel
if this sees the light of day, it better come with an XP system for the rest of the jobs in this here town.
lord knows a cowboy aint nothin without his XP
This might be a good map to bring back chem bullets, not as something to make but as special ammo to buy
Honestly? Not a map I'd play on.
(09-18-2018, 07:12 PM)Erev Wrote: Honestly? Not a map I'd play on.

Not a fan of some of the ideas going in, or just not big on the premise?
Its a combination of things.

Immersion wise the various stations and ships are great, Oshan is a bit of a stretch but still beleivable (though I'd personally like more trench content - or even a static 'near trench' and randomized 'far trench'). I just lose the vibes on wild west.

I don't like the idea of the open map or micro-bases. The empty (or crushing) abyss is part of the danger of the game. And when it comes to micro-bases, lets face it. After a week or two we won't have the numbers. Unless we have a serious player recruitment drive big stations and concepts are bad ideas and a thing of the past. Even cog2 barely feels full at prime time. Players should be funneled closer so that they interact and, through that interaction, things occur and this concept qorks to other direction.

Finally, and this hooks a bit into part one, it feels more like a spinoff than a SS13 adventure.