Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Pain effects
I feel like there's probably plenty of flaws in this idea, and I'm sorta questioning how worthwhile it would be to implement, but I also think it could open up some interesting conversation so here I go anyways.

There's a number of areas in the game where pain and it's effects are implied, but as far as I know these are just approximations, rather than being based on any one system.

For example, being hurt more (specifically, getting closer to lethal damage) causes you to slow down, until eventually you're passing out and agonizingly dragging yourself to medbay. Similarly, burning heat or freezing cold will cripple your speed. I feel like things like this could be made into a distinct feature which would allow for more granularity and customization.

Some sort of meter, maybe similar to the heat indicator, which describes your level of (dis)comfort. A higher level would result in slower movespeed, clumsiness, fainting, losebreath, maybe other effects depending on the situation. This would be made distinct from health, in this case. As a result, you could make it so different types of damage cause different amounts of pain, and other painful environmental factors can have a common system to rely on. Toxin damage might bring you down to a low health without impacting your movement speed much, for instance. On the flip side, maybe having certain chems in your blood would be horrifyingly painful without necessarily bringing you closer to death.
Well, we have the effects system now right? Wouldn't be a bad idea to move things like pain or even limb loss to be a persistent status effect that stays in place until you receive treatment.

As you hit certain damage thresholds, those statuses could start to kick in. Statuses could draw from a pool based on damage received. The presences of certain statues could open the way for others ones to take effect. Other effects could become more severe the longer you go without getting treatment.

A bruise could turn into a sprain. A hit to the stomach could give you a broken rib, which could also cause a punctured lung if you move too much with one. A bleeding wound left untreated opens you up to infections.

Seeing these effects kick on will let a player judge whether to push their luck and carry on, or seek treatment before they get too bad.
I would rather we not increase the difficulty of healing people from non critical injuries and the system works so why change it
Offloading certain damages into this pain system might make it less deadly to beat someone up, which would make it more of an appealing option to kick the snot out of an annoying interloper.
(09-17-2018, 03:30 AM)Newtonsolo Wrote: I would rather we not increase the difficulty of healing people from non critical injuries and the system works so why change it

I don't think it would increase the difficulty at all. Tie the new damage statues to the 4 damage types, and have the right medicines treat them.

If anything, you'd be able to take more damage and better monitor when you should heal up