Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3 Average
make wraiths more common
Some stats on antag types were posted recently, and wraiths are one of the least common antags, with a frequency comparable to omnitraitors and macho men. Let them show up more!
[Image: tumblr_npp1qkBfJG1sjcsglo1_500.gif]

Of every antag in the game, the wraith is the only thing that is straight up not fun to deal with ever. You're effectively subject to a malevolent force you have no real defense against that could strike you at any time with a variety of frustrating gimmicks, including one that's just "You die, that's it, you get gibbed, you can't even be brought back as a fucking borg, fuck you" and "Hey, you know the AI? How it's super cool with shit? It fucking hates you now, have fun with that. No real reason, it just does.".

The only defense against a wraith is pathetically easy to avoid and very unreliable to use in mass quantities which is all but necessary, meaning you have to rely on the wraiths own stupidity to kill it. Twice.

That's the worst part really, you have to hope it's stupid enough so you can kill the fucker twice! Yeah, same thing with the wizard, but it comes with the drawback of having one less spell. The wraith just fucking comes with it.

Fuck! No!
I feel like wraith is a little unbalanced, with them being a fairly powerful enemy with few ways to combat them that aren't limited and labor intensive.

This is fine with a low rate of seeing them, but if they are more common I think they could use some tweaking
Remove salt scuffing 2018
(09-16-2018, 09:45 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I feel like wraith is a little unbalanced, with them being a fairly powerful enemy with few ways to combat them that aren't limited and labor intensive.

This is fine with a low rate of seeing them, but if they are more common I think they could use some tweaking

Yeah. That's basically how I feel about them. They're *very* fun right now, but only because of how rarely they show up.
Wraiths are pretty much the definition of tedium. No.
There are people who havn't been able to play wraith since it came out years ago, fyi.
one of the only times i played wraith was literally by performing a ritual to the admins
and then i kind of hated it because all my fun abilities were on cooldown

i see four important questions:
- does the wraith have fun?
- does the wraith have a fair chance to win?
- do the players have fun?
- do the players have a fair chance to win?
Wraiths from what I know are fun to play, but as soon as one is detected the crew will cover every concievable station tile with salt, making life very hard for the wraith.
wraith is only good as a rare antag. Just like how vampires only show up rarely in mixed. It need not be more frequent just so more people can play them.
A couple of ideas I had to nerf wraith, such that it could be made more common:

1: The wraith is always tangible, but can float through doors. It gets a 'turn intangible' power and a lower cooldown on object possession, so it can use those if cornered.

2: The wraith is still intangible, but must materialize for a short time to use any of its destructive powers.
wraiths are already the second weakest antag type and do not need any nerfs whatsoever

Consider that they're so shitty that they got given extra lives. They have a very hard time killing anyone without a revenant, and if they die even once they lose all of their progress.

People talking about how awful wraith is to fight must not fight antags very often, because a half decent wizard is a far greater threat and a far more common one.
I think the pushback is less about wraiths being hard to fight and more about them being boring to fight. It's all running around in the dark hoping that the wraith decides to go corporeal around you so you can both try to kill eachother. Or waiting for the wraith to mis-step onto salt.
I'd love to see more wraiths. I'd love to see wraith get a minor power increase. But both of these are dependent on there being another, more solid way to cause wraiths to become attackable (either in its corporeal or incorporeal state).
Wraiths cannot really do more than annoy the crew unless they have a revenant.