Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Change the Synchronized Self-Biomass Manipulation backfire effect.
I know that Synchronized SBM is a VERY powerful mutation, and as such it should have a nasty backfire effect, but RNG instakilling, especially in a way that makes you impossible to revive, is just bad game design.

Potential ideas:
  • Random limb falling off
  • Brute damage+a stun
  • All of your clothes falling off
And for that matter, normal SBM should leave a puddle of goo that you could scoop into a pitcher and shove into a monkey to make that person clonable. Or syringed into someone to add their consciousness to theirs hivemind style.
Stuns you, makes you drop everything you have, turns into a skeleton
Eh, I learned that if you don't scan yourself ahead of time, you kind of deserve to be instagibbed.

Shit you lose your stuff anyways though.
I agree 100%
I mean why wouldn't you want to be worth more as a stone statue?

And if you were to change the backfire effect to something less deadly, the stability cost should be increased (right now it is only -5).
if you turn into a statue you should be sellable via QM
(09-12-2018, 04:12 PM)poland spring Wrote: if you turn into a statue you should be sellable via QM

Though I still would prefer changing the backfire effect, if the coders decide not to they should at least do this. Same goes for if you get icestatued by freeze/pathology and the floorpills statue.
Don't forget golden macho statues
I agree, the backfire effect is too punishing and has essentially killed use of this mutation. Change the backfire to vomit, take brute damage, and pass out.

I would also suggest, in the name of balance, to change how the mutation works completely. Instead of mimicking the wizard teleport, it temporarily turns the player into a puddle of water that can move through doors like ghost critters, as well as slip people up. Still useful for breaking into places but you can no longer go through walls.
SECRET WORLD OF ALEX MACK
(09-13-2018, 03:14 PM)locusts Wrote: I agree, the backfire effect is too punishing and has essentially killed use of this mutation. Change the backfire to vomit, take brute damage, and pass out.

I would also suggest, in the name of balance, to change how the mutation works completely. Instead of mimicking the wizard teleport, it temporarily turns the player into a puddle of water that can move through doors like ghost critters, as well as slip people up. Still useful for breaking into places but you can no longer go through walls.

Maybe the backfire (and unsynchronized) effect would be that you *stay* a player puddle. You'd also soak up any reagents in other puddles you find, and get trapped in beakers and sponges. Only way to resolidify would be to soak up some mutadone or a puddle of blood-laced stable mutagen.
This sounds amazing. Could the Janitor have a constant mandatory goal of cleaning up any player-puddles too?
The whole point of the backfire was to make you have to take a single negative mutation (like shortsightedness) to be able to coutneract the stability effect?
They're not talking about the stability hit, SBM still has a chance of straight up instagibbing you when you use it, regardless of what your stability's at.