Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.43 Average
Remove massive power drain from telesci portal
By now, I think it's clear that a measure implemented to encourage greater cooperation has done the exact opposite. Regardless of power drain or telesci layout, any half-decent telescientist can move some windows around, grab the portasci remote, and hop back and forth from the station soloing zones. On the other hand, it's much harder to interest the general public in exploration because you actually have to organize them ahead of time, as opposed to the halcyon days of leaving a portal open, bolting the door open and waiting for a bevy of bored assistants to stumble through it. Bring back that experience once more.
Agreed. Nothin' really gained from the limitation. Plenty lost, though.
Yup, this adds nothing really good to the round.
I agree this is just an annoyance for the sake of it
You guys are all fools. This is not a detrimental effect to discourage portal use. It is in actuality a brilliant mechanic that allows the scientists to fuck over their rivals the Engineers by draining all the station power with a portal to hell!
(09-26-2018, 11:20 AM)Readster Wrote: You guys are all fools. This is not a detrimental effect to discourage portal use. It is in actuality a brilliant mechanic that allows the scientists to fuck over their rivals the Engineers by draining all the station power with a portal to hell!

Idea, science portal has adjustable input like the PTL and the more juice you feed it, the bigger a fuckin nerd you are.
How about a variable power thing where the teleporter is functional on low levels, but gets easier to use with higher levels?

Like, for instance, I've always thought we could use an ingame method of aiming that thing at specific points, that could be a high power function
I wouldn't mind this if it wasn't basically impossible to do hellburns on oshean. You can get high power outputs there but it's a hell of a lot more work and a lot more dangerous for all involved.
(09-26-2018, 02:46 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: How about a variable power thing where the teleporter is functional on low levels, but gets easier to use with higher levels?

Like, for instance, I've always thought we could use an ingame method of aiming that thing at specific points, that could be a high power function

Oo, a high and low power mode for the teleporter. High power would bypass the need for offsets, low power would work like it always does.
the most common problem with the teleporter portal for me is the fact that someone new to telescience will likely press toggle portal instead of send (portals woo), draining telescience's apc. i think that this isn't a mistake thats repeated often, but the powerdraw is inconvenient to deal with in many situations where you need to use a portal, and could be easily remedied by just decreasing the power it uses. does draining 1-2% of the apc's charge every second sound good?
I reduced drain amount, try it out and see how it feels

(09-26-2018, 04:56 PM)Berrik Wrote: basically impossible to do hellburns on oshan

i.m.o. the TEG puts out way too much power. Every other power gen method is 'balanced' in that it meets station demand and scales reasonably (singularity, portable generator, solars, and thermal vent capture) but the TEG can go higher than all of the other engines combined with just 5-10 minutes of work.
True, but IIRC the reason the telescience power requirements were shot to the moon in the first place was to encourage hellburns.