Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flashes
Flashes, as they stand, are completely illogical. Even in the land of space technology, it makes no sense that shining a bright light in someone's eyes can knock them down and render them unable to move. A bright light would certainly render you unable to fight (because you wouldn't be able to see), and might even disorientate you, sure, but it wouldn't paralyze you.

For this reason, I suggest flashes be changed somewhat. The area of effect (where you click it in your hand/pagedown) to shine it in everyone around's eyes should remain unchanged; this is a logical thing for a bright light to do. However, the targeted flash should be changed: instead of knocking them down and making them unable to move, it should temporarily blind them (a few seconds? minutes? idk feedback is appreciated), and maybe make them drop what they're holding (because they'd probably wrench their hands up to cover their eyes). This would allow you to rather easily take them down, since they can't see where you are, or even where they are (though they could still run about in circles to evade you), but it would also make a hell of a lot more sense than how the flash works now.

In addition, maybe traitors could have some way to access flashes as they are now? Maybe by emagging a flash, or a syndicate flash they could buy for a relatively low price? Maybe to compensate it would be better than the current flash? Cause brain damage, permanent blindness, tans, fire damage? I don't know, give me some feedback, that's why I'm here.

What do you guys think? Yes, no, horrible idea, worst idea ever hatched by man? Also, if you have another flash related idea that isn't my idea (but would make flashes better), feel free to throw it out and discuss it.
BruceHenke Wrote:it should temporarily blind them (a few seconds? minutes? idk feedback is appreciated), and maybe make them drop what they're holding (because they'd probably wrench their hands up to cover their eyes).
Only if there is a chance that, instead of dropping the item, you hit yourself in the eye with it trying to cover your eyes.
Since when has things making sense been an important part of this game? I could list off a bunch of wacky dumb things around the station but I'm sure you can come up with examples on your own.

Flashes are fine as they are. It ain't broke, so why fix it?
One of the main uses of flashes is for security to arrest criminals who are resisting, without the risk of getting disarmed and having the weapon used against them. It's not a very long stun anyway, about enough to cuff them. I'm all for keeping them as is just for that. Annoying as shit to get pushed over and stunned with your own baton because of some lag.
Dachshundofdoom Wrote:Since when has things making sense been an important part of this game? I could list off a bunch of wacky dumb things around the station but I'm sure you can come up with examples on your own.

Flashes are fine as they are. It ain't broke, so why fix it?

Because it is broke. Flashes are overpowered relative to how common they are, I think; any old assistant could get his hands on a flash and go around murdering everyone (with the only chance of stopping him being sunglasses (which is totally fine and should not be changed)), and the only real reason for a player to not be carrying a flash is if that player didn't realize how horrible they are, or if \he just didn't give a shit (a lot of players don't, to be fair). All you really need to get one is the knowledge of where they spawn, and, even failing that, a fire extingusher to break into robotics to manufacture enough flashes to blind an army.
sorry for double post but this wasn't here when i sent in my previous post

Beardbeard Wrote:One of the main uses of flashes is for security to arrest criminals who are resisting, without the risk of getting disarmed and having the weapon used against them. It's not a very long stun anyway, about enough to cuff them. I'm all for keeping them as is just for that. Annoying as shit to get pushed over and stunned with your own baton because of some lag.

Which is fine! I'm all for sec having a good way to stun prisoners. It's the fact that anyone, sec or not, can relatively easily get their hands on a flash, and then proceed to beat everyone to death.
Flashes basically burn out at random and are a close-range weapon with one decently robust function I like to abuse to frighten people in combat. Seriously, it's hilarious to watch people freak out and run away when they think you've flashed them, but I digress.

If two or more people rush you on disarm intent when you have a flash, you have to be either extraordinarily lucky or robust, or both, to not get it at least swatted out of your hands. I fail to see how a stun countered by sunglasses or welding masks is this ludicrously overpowered hyper-common stun weapon.

I haven't noticed any unstoppable traitors roaming the halls, carrying one or more flashes and bringing the station to their knees with them, is what I'm saying. Deadchat is not filled with crewmembers gnashing their teeth in anguish at the absurdly OP top-tier weapon that is the flash.
Flashes are fine, who cares if they don't make sense.
Klayboxx Wrote:Flashes are fine, who cares if they don't make sense.
Klayboxx Wrote:Flashes are fine, who cares if they don't make sense.
This.
Dachshundofdoom Wrote:I haven't noticed any unstoppable traitors roaming the halls, carrying one or more flashes and bringing the station to their knees with them, is what I'm saying.

I agree with you, except for one thing.. 1 traitor, 1 bathtub full of chemicals, a cloak, and a flash,

http://pastebin.com/ANQTCjZM
replace flashes with led incapacitators

Quote:The LED (Light Emitting Diode) Incapacitator is a weapon designed like a flashlight. It emits an extremely bright, rapid, and well-focused series of 'differently-colored random pulses.' Before the human eyes can focus in on one frequency, another frequency comes on, causing intracranial pressure, which results in cluster headaches, nausea, vomiting, disorientation, irritability, and visual impairment to the target (opponent).

have a rng roll that may cause the target to vomit. do it.
nelttab Wrote:
Dachshundofdoom Wrote:I haven't noticed any unstoppable traitors roaming the halls, carrying one or more flashes and bringing the station to their knees with them, is what I'm saying.

I agree with you, except for one thing.. 1 traitor, 1 bathtub full of chemicals, a cloak, and a flash,

http://pastebin.com/ANQTCjZM
Had he used a rolling pin, taser, baton or several well applied fire extinguisher or dismembered arm strikes to the head, he'd still be able to knock people down with little risk to himself. The flash isn't the issue in that situation - the cloak is.
Leave my flashes alone.
Flashes are fine, if they're OP it's because they don't seem to ever burn out any more like they used to.