Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Major Aggressive grab on a human makes you immune to all projectiles
If you have a hold on someone, i.e. where you pick them up onto the same square, you are rendered completely immune to all (non-exploding) projectiles. This happens because they are always hit first. Thus you can just pick up a blinded monkey for an instant and total immunity to all tasers, lasers, phasers, revolvers, etc.

In case some of you are thinking "its just a human shield" well not really. A human shield exists to stop shooting in the first place to not harm the shield. Bullets are perfectly capable of hitting two things lined up.
This is the intended effect of the "human shield" feature. After about maybe five or so shots, the thing you're grabbing on to will be knocked out of your hand anyway.
This is intended as far as the code goes, but something we should consider implementing later is a 'bullet penetration strength' variable that allows a bullet to shoot through multiple targets while sacrificing some power for each target passed.
(10-03-2018, 06:01 PM)InternetDweller Wrote: This is the intended effect of the "human shield" feature. After about maybe five or so shots, the thing you're grabbing on to will be knocked out of your hand anyway.

As of now this does not happen. 10+ shots did not do this.
(10-03-2018, 06:20 PM)Firebarrage Wrote:
(10-03-2018, 06:01 PM)InternetDweller Wrote: This is the intended effect of the "human shield" feature. After about maybe five or so shots, the thing you're grabbing on to will be knocked out of your hand anyway.

Strange; I've had it happen before. Maybe it's just extraordinarily rare?
Charging into battle with a blindfolded monkey new meta.
I saw something like this happen as a ghost last night, and once the blanket covered monkey shield was lying down after being hit by 7 taser shots it was still happening. I feel like dragging the dead weight of a nerveless/unconscious body would reduce their effectiveness as a shield. Sure you can drag them around by their neck, but keeping them upright and in front of the projectiles seems a bit far fetched and potentially unbalanced.

As a quick idea, what if it was chance based to hit with the chance increasing the closer the shooter is to the target, with point blank being like 80% chance to hit the target especially if the shield is prone
it gives a bit of counterplay to ranged gunplay, which is fine, and there are ways around it such as using the riot shotguns with rubber slugs, or smoke since the held person still qualifies as a handheld object and will knock back the shield, or sometimes both the shield and the user, disarming them of their protection.

It just kind of forces alternative play than mass-fire tasers at a target until one hits and combat ends.
As an additional note, if someone is hit from behind while facing forward with a human shield does that still get blocked? I feel it shouldnt, leading to flanking maneuvers from a coordinated crew being effective.
Humorously, people holding a weapon while grabbed will also smack themselves instead of you. Try it with a monkey!
(10-03-2018, 06:19 PM)mbc Wrote: This is intended as far as the code goes, but something we should consider implementing later is a 'bullet penetration strength' variable that allows a bullet to shoot through multiple targets while sacrificing some power for each target passed.
pierces_left does this (projectile_parent.dm)

edit:

(10-05-2018, 02:41 AM)Berrik Wrote: Humorously, people holding a weapon while grabbed will also smack themselves instead of you. Try it with a monkey!
Should be fixed now.

(10-04-2018, 08:19 AM)Recusor Wrote: As an additional note, if someone is hit from behind while facing forward with a human shield does that still get blocked? I feel it shouldnt, leading to flanking maneuvers from a coordinated crew being effective.
It was directional for melee but not ranged. I removed the direction requirement completely as it doesn't really work with SS13 combat.

(10-03-2018, 06:22 PM)InternetDweller Wrote:
(10-03-2018, 06:20 PM)Firebarrage Wrote:

Strange; I've had it happen before. Maybe it's just extraordinarily rare?
It was previously a 10% chance for ranged, and melee never caused the grab to be dropped. It's now 20% for both melee and ranged.