Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 1.63 Average
[Forum]User requires 10 posts before they can make a thread.
Title.  It doesn't happen often, but the advertisement spam threads get annoying if you're constantly keeping track of things that may or may not be happening on the forums.

10 posts is pretty much nothing and requires you to actually, ya know, prove you're human before making gibberish title threads.
(09-03-2018, 10:47 PM)Technature Wrote: Title.  It doesn't happen often, but the advertisement spam threads get annoying if you're constantly keeping track of things that may or may not be happening on the forums.

10 posts is pretty much nothing and requires you to actually, ya know, prove you're human before making gibberish title threads.

Might be a problem for bug reporting, since people make accounts just for a bug report thread and never use them afterwards. Maybe you could remove the restriction for the bug report category, but then the spambots would just post everything in there.
Would make unban threads a hassle, too.
No.

Arbitrary post-count thresholds are anithetical to free and open discourse.
Although the idea is good, I have to suggest no, because quite a number of folks just post here for unbans at most, and they deserve to not have to jump through even more hoops just to get unbanned, it'd be counteractive since most folks who get banned are not bad people.
I wanna stress that it isn't a bad idea. We just can't do this due to the way reports, appeals and complaints work on SS13/goonstation.
I dunno. Spam threads dont pop up often, and when they do they're pretty quickly removed. They're kinda funny sometimes when they show up in No.

And, yeah, it'd make it harder for people to sign up and post bug reports and appeals. Might actually lead to *more* spam in that case.
IMO we should put up a $10 pay wall to make an account thus filtering out trolls and shit quality posts.
(09-04-2018, 09:43 AM)Readster Wrote: IMO we should put up a $10 pay wall to make an account thus filtering out trolls and shit quality posts.
Don't forget about the hotdog.
Maybe a time delay? 1 hour from making an account before you can post?
Going to go with 'no'. Sometimes a new player comes up with a great idea and people tell them to go post it on the forums. Annnd.... they won't. Cause there's a dumb timer.
I understand the sentiment, because I saw and was annoyed those dumb add posts last night too. But along with everyone else, I think this is a bad idea for all the reasons above. Yeah, it might stop those ad posts, but there is a big tradeoff of all those other issues.

Just gotta ignore those shitposts for a bit when they come up before they're removed.
what if the forum requires a linked byond account to post
i have no idea if the bots are smart enough to bypass that but it could be worth a shot?
(09-04-2018, 02:43 PM)Triacontakai Wrote: what if the forum requires a linked byond account to post
i have no idea if the bots are smart enough to bypass that but it could be worth a shot?

I'm not sure if that would be doable unless a coder makes a mybb plugin for it.

Otherwise integrating goonhub, mediawiki and mybb and using the byond login to verify might be neat.
(09-04-2018, 11:01 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Maybe a time delay? 1 hour from making an account before you can post?