Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scribe Scroll Suggestion 2.0
Every single Wizard gets scribe scroll at first level. It's literally the first thing a wizard learns how to do after learning how to cast magic.

So why can't OUR wizard?

Here's the breakdown

Enchantment: Scribe Scroll

Alright, so, to start off, Scribe Scroll isn't gonna be a spell with a cooldown or whatever. Instead, it'll be represented by an item, the Blank Scroll. The scroll spawns directly underneath the wizard, like the Staff of Cthulhu.

You may or may not be able to take it multiple times.

Alright. First, you hold the scroll in hand. Then, you go to cast a spell. If you attempt to cast a spell with the scroll as your active hand, then instead of casting the spell outwards, the spell is expended (begins to go through its cooldown cycle) and is written on the scroll. The scroll can then be selected in hand to cast the spell out of the scroll as if it was just clicked on your spells tab.

A scroll can hold 3 charges, but they must be of the same spell and they have to be added separately. The spell opens up in the windowed version of the spell where you select a target; no right-click quick-casting, and you can't go back after you decide to use it.

Furthermore, the scroll can be used by anyone (with a random failure chance if you're not currently wearing wizard robes). If you cast a spell on someone currently holding the scroll in their active hand, the spell is absorbed by it and written on the scroll.

PROS:
+ You can double, triple, or even QUADRUPLE up on one of your favorite spells!
+ A small item, looks like your teleport scroll, and a very good investment all around!
+ You can finally be a wizard. A REAL WIZARD.
+ If there are other wizards, you can trade spells using the scrolls.

CONS:
+ Takes a long time to charge
+ Can be easily stolen and turned against you
+ Uses up a spell slot
+ Requires it to be in your hand to use, meaning that you can't cast spells using it unless you wanna give up your ability to hold an item (such as an ID card, gun, whatever)

CODING ISSUES/CONCERNS:
+ Might still be considered overpowered. Consider reducing charges down to 1-2.
+ Some of the more quirky aspects such as the shielding function and the way you charge it might be difficult to incorporate

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? POST 'EM HERE.
I can see this being used to load up on the more powerful, long-recharge spells by sitting in the wizard shuttle and just waiting to fill up your scroll. Then teleport to the bridge, rapid-fire fireball instant-kill the Captain, teleport back somewhere else, repeat.

Not really sure how to work around that, but we should probably not base any major wizard items around sitting and waiting.
MyBlueCorners Wrote:I can see this being used to load up on the more powerful, long-recharge spells by sitting in the wizard shuttle and just waiting to fill up your scroll. Then teleport to the bridge, rapid-fire fireball instant-kill the Captain, teleport back somewhere else, repeat.

Not really sure how to work around that, but we should probably not base any major wizard items around sitting and waiting.
This was already possible.
Fireball + blink + magic missile stuns them long that they burn to death
Magic missile + shocking grasp straight up kills them
Etc.

No one said wizards weren't supposed to be a little overpowered.

Also, in the scenario you described above, the captain already had at least a minute to suit up. Suppose he saw you, reacted quickly, and tased you? He'd then just pick up your scroll and you'd lose it. Even if you'd escaped, you'd still have to deal with a spell-immune captain that can shoot fireballs back at you.

In a nutshell, it's high-risk high-reward for wizards that want to play a more dangerous game.
If you're not thinking of teleporting into the bar and casting pandemonium four times in a row I don't know what to say to you.
I want the wizard to have a magic gun.
Amuys Wrote:I want the wizard to have a magic gun.
This is not a thread about magic guns, this is a thread about being able to scribe scrolls!!! What is it with you guys?
Okay....I been brainstorming scrolls for a while and the BEST way i can think it can work is like this

The scribe ablity cost 4 spell slots to use and requires you to have a magic pen handy (There is ONE such pen in the whole game and lucky for you its on the wizard shuttle so one scribe per wizard round). Each spell takes a minute to write on a paper and the cooldown is 2-5 minutes long. Each scroll has 0-4 uses depending on RNG and is instant use. Now the main problem with most scrolls ideas on this fourm is that they expect all the spells that scribes can make are the regular wizard spells which are NOT balanced for scribing purposes except for simple ones like animate dead(This one is 100% more useful as a scroll then as a regular spell)

A few simple spells that MIGHT work for scribes but not a full/balanced list
  • Animate- Animates an object to attack people
  • Heal-Heals a tiny bit
  • Teleport- teleport scroll but without stuff like listening post or wizard shuttle
  • Recharge-Recharges items in a 5x5 area
  • Summon-This has a 10-30% chance of summoning a random player
  • Summon horror-Has 90% chance to summon clown spiders and a 10% chance to summon mini machomen.
  • Reinforce-Allows you to turn regular walls/tables/glass to reinforced stuff.
  • Mutate-Activates a random mutaion(Wizard mutation is included in there)
  • Emp-Do i have to explain?

The long cooldown and writing period means that wizards have to pick their scrolls wisely and use them in a efficent manner because they might never get a second chance to refill (And when they do they are vurnable to attack)
The idea of a wizards coming in with four Ei Nath's or four Fireballs and completely demolishing a room full of people in a matter of seconds doesn't sit well with me.

That being said, I think this is a fantastic idea. Some people will abuse things intended for fun and others won't. Shit, that's how wizard is now, this'd just make it turbo-wiz mode. The potential for ultra cluwnings and mega pandemonium and golem gangs is fantastic.
DyssalC Wrote:The idea of a wizards coming in with four Ei Nath's or four Fireballs and completely demolishing a room full of people in a matter of seconds doesn't sit well with me.
maybe give spells a period of time before its cast, like ei nath? stronger spells take more time to read, of course.
If scrolls were a thing, and I don't really think they need to be, Pizzatiger is on to the right idea here with
pizzatiger Wrote:Now the main problem with most scrolls ideas on this fourm is that they expect all the spells that scribes can make are the regular wizard spells which are NOT balanced for scribing purposes except for simple ones like animate dead(This one is 100% more useful as a scroll then as a regular spell)

As another idea, maybe scrolls should be tied into some kind of wizard objective? Find the missing magic words for creating more powerful scrolls.
So...the wizard buys the 4-point scroll ablity and is given the ablity to request special objectives....Completing them allows you to make more spells?
The scrolls, if they were an objective reward, would be independent from the normal 4 spells.

But your idea of them being something unique that supplements the other spells is better than them being single use copies of existing spells.
Frank_Stein Wrote:The scrolls, if they were an objective reward, would be independent from the normal 4 spells.

But your idea of them being something unique that supplements the other spells is better than them being single use copies of existing spells.

I think that the objectives then should be switched to something more magical and fun....KILLL KILLLLL KILLLLLLL objectives promotes murder wizards who kill everyone for thier scorlls.....

The reason is think scrolls should be a buyable 4 points spell is because it has the possiblity of all the diffrent spells you can do.....The list of spells that would be balanced and rather easy to code is pretty big...that or we can make it a two point spell with a second two point spell to buy a magicaly legally distinct spell book TM to store scrolls in if they want To carry more spells then usual
I've been thinking... what if scrolls were sold to you by a VENDOR? A merchant that likes to buy strange, magicalish items that might occasionally change up and vend the scrolls that pizzatiger is suggesting.

Each scroll has a failure percentage that lowers by wearing/holding magical-propertied clothing and items (akavl wizard robes, koshamarite armor, etc.) And should obviously always come to a very low percentage for the average wizard.

Make the vender somewhat public and maybe spacemen can mine magical clothes during other round types and become psuedo wizards
UrsulaMejor Wrote:I've been thinking... what if scrolls were sold to you by a VENDOR? A merchant that likes to buy strange, magicalish items that might occasionally change up and vend the scrolls that pizzatiger is suggesting.

Each scroll has a failure percentage that lowers by wearing/holding magical-propertied clothing and items (akavl wizard robes, koshamarite armor, etc.) And should obviously always come to a very low percentage for the average wizard.

Make the vender somewhat public and maybe spacemen can mine magical clothes during other round types and become psuedo wizards

A vender would kinda be too much.......I like your original idea of it being a spell you can buy better....Just make it a 2-4 points spell that allows you to make a bunch of cool scrolls