Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Genetics Ideas/Discussion/Grumpin'
Jumps colliding with someone as a tackle would be pretty funny.
Solving the mastermind puzzle when the research is still going seems to make the machine stop researching that block.
atomic1fire Wrote:Jumping over tables doesn't exactly seem like a good idea from a gameplay standpoint.

I mean sure it would make sense, but I can think of several places where having assistants jump over the table would only prove to get people tazed or murdered. The jobs room/HR/customs/whatever you want to call it.

Also that Security checkpoint next to mining.

that's a bit of a slippery slope wouldn't you say

and besides, not everyone has the potential for the jumpy gene
Why the hell are tables this crazy sort of impassible obstacle anyway? They're tables, upright tables, not baracades.
Same reason why plastic flaps act the way they do.
Zed Xionova Wrote:Why the hell are tables this crazy sort of impassible obstacle anyway? They're tables, upright tables, not baracades.
They're space tables.
The other thread is about mutation suggestions instead of mechanics suggestions, so I created this thread.

===Introduction===
The new genetics mechanics is awesome, it's very neat and clean, but it's very easy to get powers; so everybody wants to be a geneticist now, the lab of full of people whining "Give me powers!!". With the old system that didn't happen because it was hard and dangerous to get powers, that's the way it should be. So I'm going to suggest what I think wold make getting powers harder.

===The problems===
1.Researching mutations: The ability to research mutations makes getting powers extremely simple, it's cheap and not very time consuming because you can research a lot of mutations simultaneously. So when the research is done the geneticist will only try to activate the powers and leave the disabilities alone, making it very safe and simple.

I like the ability to research them, but I propose to increase the materials cost to about 60 and the research time to about 400 seconds, that would discourage abusing this feature. To counter that, when you activate an unknown mutation that mutation is automatically researched. If it is a disability you would need to stabilize another sequence in order do deactivate it.

2.Messing with the DNA is harmless: You can modify as many pairs you want, the times you want without any cons. That makes very simple, you don't have the pressure of activating a disability or killing the subject by radiation.

I propose that when changing a single pair gen, the subject will get small radiation, the amount of radiation he will can be decreased by researching upgrades. Also, everytime you change it, you have a chance of modifying a random pairs in some potential, and a very small chance of activating a disability that then would need to be stabilized before deactivating it.

3.You can research as many subjects a time: There's no limit on how many research can be running simultaneously, given with research budget, you can research everything at the same time. That makes very easy to get all the upgrades.

I propose a limit of 3 at the beginning of the round, that limit can be increased up to 8 with upgrades

===Conclusion===
I know this will dislike a lot of people that want powers to be easy to get because they never could get powers with the old system. But getting powers is not meant to be easy, it should be hard and dangerous, I hope some of this suggestions get implemented to make messing with the DNA harder and dangerous. Thanks for taking this in consideration.
Extending it

When you stabilize a power sequence and you click on Activate? there's a chance of the power activating in related to the power strength. If it fails to activate, the sequence is destabilized with random pairs getting black and locked then you will have to unlock the pairs that got locked and stabilize it before trying again.
I haven't messed with genetics much, myself, but I have definitely noticed that basically every shift has a significant number of super-powered crew members. I would have to agree that it should probably be a little harder to get them than it is currently.
Actually, from my genetics experience, the odds of actually getting -good- powers is slim. Sure you might get something like heat or cold resist or dwarfism, but the odds of getting something like Hulk are slim, and even then it takes some work to actually get that active. Leave genetics as it is, for the love of God.
I've played genetics quite a bit myself and I don't really see the need for the change. Sure, every so often some lucky guy gets to turn invisible when he stands still or turns out the lights but for the most part genetics is fairly benign. Please do not take away the Swedish glowing jumpy horned dwarfs who immolate themselves while shooting eye lasers.
I'm thinking these changes would make Genetics excruciatingly boring/inconvenient. I often try to keep in mind these days that there's latency on the servers - my local test server has no lag whatsoever and I can unlock tons of mutations by brute force in about 15 minutes. With lag, that extends out quite a lot.

By the way, activating an unresearched mutation already automatically researches it. That's a thing!
I do like the new mechanics, but as I said I would like it to be harder, not everything I suggested has to be implemented. As you said it would make it boring, the old genetics was boring, hard and dangerous, that's why I liked it. Maybe you could implement the radiation on changing a pair or the chance of a random pair changing.
...Not any of it has to be implemented, really. Again, it's fun in this new way, making it so it has a chance to completely fuck up your strand because LOL YOU ACTUALLY WANTED TO DO YOUR JOB or can kill your occupant because of the same reasoning...would just be stupid.
Having a chance to fuck up DNA just by trying to use the machine would make trying to unlock even 8-pair powers an excruciatingly Sisyphean task.