Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Flood alarms
basically a copy of fire alarms that stop whatever fluid from flooding the whole station (as it is right now) when detected. using the firelocks that fire alarms use.
both could be combined into one flood/fire alarm ideally
We actually just implemented this recently, fire alarms are triggered by deep fluids on their tile.
(08-30-2018, 04:18 AM)mbc Wrote: We actually just implemented this recently, fire alarms are triggered by deep fluids on their tile.

An idea so good™ it's already in the game™

how deep is deep, for the record ?
That explains why I can't reset them.
Could they be renamed to fire and flood alarms?
(08-30-2018, 06:35 AM)Eibel Wrote: Could they be renamed to fire and flood alarms?

Might recommend something like "lockdown alarms" or somesuch. Rolls off the tongue better and is more futureproof.
(08-30-2018, 06:14 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote:
(08-30-2018, 04:18 AM)mbc Wrote: We actually just implemented this recently, fire alarms are triggered by deep fluids on their tile.

An idea so good™ it's already in the game™

how deep is deep, for the record ?

this is my concern, wouldnt the entire station already be flooded, or the door already be closed, for the water to be deep?
knee depth is where the alarm triggers
Maybe this should be reworked or reconsidered, because it does very little to stop or slow down flooding, but makes it massively inconvenient to get around, especially once a significant amount of the station has been flooded. The relative dearth of crowbars on that map means there's not much people stuck in a flooded corridor can do, because often the fire alarm toggle is located far enough from the doors that there's not enough time to get to them before it simply reactivates.
I agree.

Fire doors are almost a server meme, "that which was meant to save you, kills you", but flooding is nigh constant and the doors just become an annoyance. It's a great idea, but doesn't work too well in practice.

Maybe allow the doors to be opened with your hands? Requiring a crowbar is the major annoyance.
IMO, the problem is that you can't click on the actual fire alarm to reset the doors like you can during a fire. Make that work and it would be fine. Or use the liquid shields from arrivals and the podbay doors. That was an idea I had a while ago, but didn't get any traction. Maybe give them a high energy cost or a timer or something.
Maybe just have it so that when the fire sensors are manually reset there's a timer until they start sensing again? 10-30s should do for getting through whichever door.