Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.2 Average
Make electrical equipment have a chance to short out depending on the amount of water
Most modern electronics, much less the cheap Discount Dan brand junk the station's supplied with, don't respond well to immersion in water. At minor levels I figure this would break lights and/or fire alarms, at higher levels of water, I figure consoles/etc would shut down. Exposed wiring might lead to nearby water getting electrified.
This is the future, it's gonna take more than a little water to short out our sophisticated electronics.
Mabye if our electronics were actually sophisticated that would be the case. We're talking about a company that uses human brains for cyborg and AI CPUs because it's cheaper.
Like Ed, I'm also pretty skeptical of any features that add "realism" just for the sake for realism. I'm particularly weary of suggestions that don't expand things beyond, "You have to do C when doing A now, to take into account B, because that's how A is in real life" or "D is now vulnerable to E, so have to do F now, because irl". Not a lot of interactions between systems or new strategies and choices involved.

That said, this isn't one of those suggestions. For once, Berrick is on to something. If this was implemented, maybe fluid floods could be more interesting than "you get slowed down and slip a lot, maybe drown if it's big enough", and people would have more incentive to actually clean up fluid floods.

On the other hand, I can't really accept this without a co-requisite anti-fluids tool to counteract. There's plenty right now (candles, drains, especially with mass production via mechanics, mops, Buffer-R-Matic, sponges and loofahs,chem containers, energy shield, walls, scrubbers and HVACS, etc.), but I find most of them pretty weak against huge floods with multiple sources. But then, that's a gripe with fluids, not this suggestions.

Still weary of electrified water though. Does not sound fun to avoid/deal with, especially if only a few loose wires made everything shocky-unfun-bad-time without any visual cue.
Old mops
Ideas for fluid interactions with floors
  • Shocks delivered through fluids interaction dependent on fluid. An example would be water carrying a reduced charge, or fuel igniting into an inferno
  • Fluids interacting with air temperatures. Fluids turn into slick ice in cold, or create steam in a warmer one
  • Fluids having a flow speed in relation to it's spread weight. When a great deal of water is moving through an area quickly, the flow speed pushes back items, knocking people down, and pushing people into surfaces

Quote:Fluids interacting with air temperatures. Fluids turn into slick ice in cold, or create steam in a warmer one
Fluids having a flow speed in relation to it's spread weight. When a great deal of water is moving through an area quickly, the flow speed pushes back items, knocking people down, and pushing people into surfaces

You might want to check out the Toxins Lab sometime. There's a lot of odd reactions relating to these two things in the combustion chambers...
(08-29-2018, 08:37 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Ideas for fluid interactions with floors

[*]Shocks delivered through fluids interaction dependent on fluid. An example would be water carrying a reduced charge, or fuel igniting into an inferno.

Last night, there was a round where someone set off an incendiary grenade on a flooded station. Likely due to the floodwater mixing with the fuel from arrivals, this ended up blowing up the entire station.
(08-29-2018, 10:40 PM)Roomba Wrote:
(08-29-2018, 08:37 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Ideas for fluid interactions with floors

[*]Shocks delivered through fluids interaction dependent on fluid. An example would be water carrying a reduced charge, or fuel igniting into an inferno.
[*]

Last night, there was a round where someone set off an incendiary grenade on a flooded station. Likely due to the floodwater mixing with the fuel from arrivals, this ended up blowing up the entire station.
[*]

Why do I always miss these amazing things?
Its not really out of scope to add a zappy effect, I imagine it being a sort of mild thing where if a tile is jolted then only the next few adjacent tiles suffer any effects (instead of conducting along the whole group, that might get crazy). Some code similar to fireflash, maybe.

(08-29-2018, 10:40 PM)Roomba Wrote: Likely due to the floodwater mixing with the fuel from arrivals, this ended up blowing up

Probably sabotage - for oil, it needs to be at least 25% of the fluid body composition in order to ignite.
Yeah that was kind of my thought. Mabye also cause APC batteries to get rapidly drained/cause the APC to break if the tile around it is inudated beyond a certain depth.

The only way I could see this becoming extremely dangerous is if someone hotwired an engine in some fashion, and as we don't have a way to do hellburns on the currnet station, I don't think that will be a thing.
Hotwires are definitely possible on Oshan, although maybe not to the one touch vaporization of a TW/PW engine we may be used too.

Still definitely enough to cause a problem though.