Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gene: Empathic Mimicry
Simply put, this would be a gene that would cause you to involuntarily manifest the genes of those around you. This would allow you to fight on equal footing with someone really powerful, or really disabled, to an extent, but only while they were on screen. After they're out of range, you will lose all replicated abilities/disabilities within 1-10 seconds. These powers will not have caused any genetic instability while in/out of the body.

This is essentially the ability Peter Petrelli had on the NBC show Heroes, except we're all to stupid to recall abilities once out of range of the original user. And that will always be the case. If you have this ability, you are incapable of having any other genetic abilities, for obvious reasons.

Right, that's that, tell me if you think it's viable, and if not, why. I think it seems pretty reasonable, if maybe a bit hard to code, but I think it's conceivable.
Thinking from a coding perspective, this would require constant checks of:
A: who is around me?
B: what traits and genes do they have?
C: apply all from B to my user
Unless I'm unaware of another method, that'd be laggy like the phobias were

I think the idea is good, but as a "grab all skills/negatives" this would be op as shit.  Maybe grab 1 random one from one player around you, or something to that effect.
(08-28-2018, 05:09 PM)Eibel Wrote: Thinking from a coding perspective, this would require constant checks of:
A: who is around me?
B: what traits and genes do they have?
C: apply all from B to my user
Unless I'm unaware of another method, that'd be laggy like the phobias were

I think the idea is good, but as a "grab all skills/negatives" this would be op as shit.  Maybe grab 1 random one from one player around you, or something to that effect.

This ability is meant to replicate powers and nothing else, for starters. So you would only have to check for genes. Without another superhuman around to leech off of, you're just a regular guy. After that point, it's only OP as shit if you're near someone who also happens to be OP as shit due to having an arsenal of super powers, which would merely let you stand on equal footing. If you're a naked man with this power, and you fight a traitor with a bunch of superpowers and weapons, they're still more likely to win than you, as they have weapons and you do not. If it had to be cut down a bit to reduce lag, I would understand, but seeing as the mimicry effect is merely a range-based, temporary ability, I think it stands as entirely reasonable mechanic wise.
Ah so you're suggesting a skill you use and it quickly checks all around rather than a toggle skill that checks passively all the time? If that's the case, disregard my previous message on the ABC checks, because that's how I read it.
(08-28-2018, 08:58 PM)Eibel Wrote: Ah so you're suggesting a skill you use and it quickly checks all around rather than a toggle skill that checks passively all the time? If that's the case, disregard my previous message on the ABC checks, because that's how I read it.

No, I'm suggesting a passive, yes, but it only has to check every 5 seconds or so.