Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Feature] Reintroduce Werewolf
Title and idea inspired by(stolen from) a very successful older Suggestion Thread by Sundance Freely. I basically implemented most of his ideas for werewolf powers and abilities as well as the sprites he made for some of them.

Anyway, currently werewolves are only very, VERY rarely seen and not all that fun to play as or against. If you encountered a werewolf on your own, you're dead, there's basically no counterplay. Conversely, if a werewolf is fighting 3 or more  crewmembers or one of them has a stun baton, then it can only win with extreme robustness. In this patch I gave the werewolf some more powers and weaknesses with the aim to fulfill Sundance's vision, i.e. to make werewolf more fun. 

Overview:

- All powers:

[Image: zGTAaJM.png]  Transform - Same as before, but this is the sprite he made, I don't know what sprite exists currently, but there was none in 2016. Med-cooldown

[Image: 3dSj1fh.png] Maul/Feat - Same as before, you gotta maul people. You regain health by doing so. But not it has a cooldown due to the fact that it is no longer the only ability. Med-cooldown

[Image: 67FwAMx.png] Tainted Saliva - Every attack on another person, ability or regular hit, will apply some amount of reagents currently in your own body to that of your victim. Want to be a medical werewolf? Strap an IV bag of saline and synthflesh and run around saving lives. Want to kill someone extra fast. Take some cyanide and hit them with it before it has time to kill you. High-cooldown

[Image: GArgGHQ.png] (Defensive)Howl - Howl a couple of times like how wolves do. It's so loud it extinguishes you if you're on fire, and you're basically in macho man defense stance for 15 second. Except you'll be more likely to dodge attacks than parry them. Med-cooldown

[Image: aJzQzJR.png] Pounce - Basically the genetics jump ability with a twist. Now it's a targetable ability, so you click it and then click where to jump and you'll attack/knock aside people who are in your way. Low-cooldown.

[Image: kVKGp8C.png] Throw - This is Sundance's Gnash idea, but instead of a bite, and then throw. It's just a targetable throw like macho man's throw. But you don't need to grab them first, just click on them with the ability active. Low-cooldown

[Image: 7qpxmFE.png] Thrash - This is the only ability that is of my own idea. I never liked how once a werewolf is knocked down everyone only needs to surround and beat him to death. You spin around/flail your arms (pretend) swiping at and knocking back enemies who are next to you. It is usable when you are knocked down so you're not completely defenseless. Med-cooldown

You might or might not have noticed that the last 3 icons are not of the same quality as the others. The first 4 were made by Sundance, the last ones I did up real quick, I'm a shit artist.

-------------------------------------------------

Now for the other features added:

- Werewolves cannot transform at round start, unless they are made by an admin or they late join as a traitor. There's a timer and about 7-15 minute into the round they will gain the ability to transform. Gives people a bit of time to set up for the round and get prepared to deal. Ideally, I wanted the werewolf to play as a normal person until that time, a only awaken as a werewolf, but it was pointed out to me that it would be very hard to do well. That is why I left out one of Sundances suggestions about transferring werewolf to someone else with a bite.

- When a werewolf transforms, they are given the regeneration genetics ability. So they will be able to regrow limbs, and passively heal while they are in that form.

- Several types of bullets can now be dipped in silver to be "silver" bullets. Notably the Detective's lethal .38 bullets and .22 rounds. If a silver bullet is fired at a werewolf and is implanted, they will do burn and tox damage, which can really stack up. Though the wolf's regen can negate some of the burn damage.

- Related to werewolves getting shot. If a wolf transforms back to human form from wolf form, they will "expel" all the implants from its body.

- Similar to silver bullets, standard handcuffs can become silver handcuffs which can restrain werewolves. Though it makes them weaker, they only have 2 uses once it's turned silver. Werewolves can't rip them off like regular handcuffs, but they can escape after about 20 seconds or however long the normal escape time is. I think they will be able to unbuckle themselves from a chair, but it won't break the cuffs instantly.

[Image: LCoB0bH.png]

- A suggestion from the thread was that aconite should be able to be grown and used against werewolves. Botanists can grow it, finally botany has a use in fighting an antag. Werewolves cannot pick up, pull, or walk on top of an aconite flower without taking damage or getting knocked down. So you can leave em around or at entrances to critical rooms to keep you relatively safe. Also, if you attack a werewolf with them, they do decent damage.

[Image: r015fuU.png]

------------------------------------
EDIT: Video I forgot. It's long, shows pretty much everything in the patch I can remember offhand: https://streamable.com/loc24

Hopefully these changes will make werewolf a bit more nuanced than before. I liked the idea of it as an antagonist that is very powerful and sort of like a wrecking ball with no subtlety. 

------------------------------------
Note: all new sprites are in their respective places and in their own file in icon/mob/werewolf_ui.dmi. That file is used for werewolf abilities.

https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation-2016/pull/75

https://github.com/goonstation/goonstati...e80a31R352
small suggestion, make the defensive howl a different noise than standard *scream. Just pitch shift down the sound clip or something
Oh yeah I can do that. I feel like I didn't have enough werewolf sounds and I didn't want to go hunting for them. Also, that howl sound is terrible, so incredibly loud.
A lot of great stuff in this patch, definitely looks like it makes the Werewolf more viable as an antag, beyond just an admin thing. I didn't really see how much tox/burn was done by the bullets - Is it particularly significant?
(08-30-2018, 06:53 PM)Stryxic Wrote: A lot of great stuff in this patch, definitely looks like it makes the Werewolf more viable as an antag, beyond just an admin thing. I didn't really see how much tox/burn was done by the bullets - Is it particularly significant?

Only SILVER bullets have that effect on werewolves. Like you know how silver and aconite/wolfsbane are the cannonical weaknesses to werewolves? 

The reason that I did TOX and BURN instead of just BURN was because werewolves now have the regeneration bioEffect, and they would heal the burn damage. Sure it cans till stack up if the wolf gets unlucky with probability rolls, but I didn't really like that. So I made it do a bit of tox damage too, which regeneration does not heal, so they would be forced to un-transform for a little while to remove the silver bullets if they wanted to stay alive. Kind of as a way to coerce the werewolf out of his form, instead of having a chance of silver bullets simply reverting him to human form like some of the suggestions said.
Really cool stuff!
[snip]
(08-30-2018, 07:34 PM)New525 Wrote: Really cool stuff!
Super cool Kyle, sounds like a blast to play and interesting to fight. Id love to see this in game!
Oh I forgot the silver part of my question. I meant to ask how much tox/burn the silver bullets do?
(08-31-2018, 08:42 AM)Stryxic Wrote: Oh I forgot the silver part of my question. I meant to ask how much tox/burn the silver bullets do?

They have a 60% chance each life tic to do 5-10 BURN, 1-3 TOX, and 30 stamina damage. The damage values can be adjusted, I was just eyeballing it.