Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-Antag Crime on Goon1 RP server
So a couple of times on Goon1 I've played HoS or Security and I've felt like I had nothing to do for the whole game in terms of actual policing. Especially when the round is extended. Sure I can make up some events and stuff to do, but it feels boring when I have very little to do in my assigned job. Having said that, I feel like dealing with antags as security on goon1 is much more fun than on goon2 .

But because of the slightly more serious nature of the RP server, people don't usually commit petty crimes or annoy others when they aren't antagonists. I feel that RP in general should allow people to commit minor-major crimes, but stop short of doing things to endanger the station or multiple people (unless they were really good at RP). People should be able to steal, physically assault others, or even attempt to murder/take hostage a crew member if they have been sufficiently RPed into that situation.

I I'm not trying to encourage a new surge of crime since a station full of criminal is might not be that fun, but the fact that RP allows for more interesting dialogues than on Goon2, means that more interesting plot can be developed from it. And sometimes that plot can form into criminality. But I think people are too afraid to do anything criminal even given sufficient motive by RP circumstances in a round.
I've literally played a drug dealer, a corrupt politician, and a hacker as a nonantag before, as long as you create good RP and it isn't just LOLbreakin i don't see the issue and i don't think admins mind either.
I dunno, I feel like there's a lot that can be done. Yelling at botany for growing weed, giving people random tickets, holding self defense classes... Often times it's easier to create a fun situation yourself and draw other people in, rather than wait for something to happen. But, also, yeah, it's understandable if it feels boring.

People should be able to commit some crimes, but they should also understand that there are consequences, and that if they keep escalating, they're the one that's going to be in trouble. Additionally, there are also definitely some sorts of crimes that are more fun than others. Being a shady drug dealer who can sell people meth for cheap is fun for other people as well. Going around being an aggressive boxer who punches every person they meet three times probably isn't fun for other people. Being really good at RP shouldn't be an excuse to break the rules. This means that in general, non-antags should not be beating other people up, venting the station, attempting murder, etc.

However, LOOC is very useful, and if you as a nonantag were to use that to ask someone if you could hold them hostage/beat them up/cut off their limbs/whatever to create a spectacle and promote RP, and they agree, then you're absolutely free to do such a thing. The key is consent, so other people's experiences aren't soured. You have to keep in mind, however, that the rest of the server doesn't know whatever agreement you just made, and so you can totally be put on trial/demoted to clown/put on death row/etc. for your actions, if appropriate.
As a frequent security player on Goon1, I agree that a lot of the time rounds can be quite boring. I think this problem could simply be solved by increasing the ratio of antags to non-antags (typically there's only 1 antag every round, unless it's conspirator and there's 2), and/or, decreasing the chance of extended being picked (yet again). Personally, I'd prefer the first option.

Oh, and what Flourish said is very well put.
(08-06-2018, 07:16 PM)Flourish Wrote: I dunno, I feel like there's a lot that can be done. Yelling at botany for growing weed, giving people random tickets, holding self defense classes... Often times it's easier to create a fun situation yourself and draw other people in, rather than wait for something to happen. But, also, yeah, it's understandable if it feels boring.

People should be able to commit some crimes, but they should also understand that there are consequences, and that if they keep escalating, they're the one that's going to be in trouble.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to say that there was nothing to do as a sec officer, just that quite often there is little actual police work(discovering baddies, arresting them, and then rehabilitating them) that needs doing. And it was my assumption that players thought that as non-antags they cannot commit minor crimes even if it is acceptable given the RP scenario that is evolving because they might get banned or that they had to play just as a nanotrasen stooge who does his job pretty much without issue. Either that or people just don't like committing crimes, I couldn't say.

And minor crimes obviously doesn't mean venting the station or murdering people. I meant more like getting in an argument with someone IC and eventually climaxing in a fight or beat down between those people. LOOC sounds like a good tool for crimes more deadly/annoying than that level, but I hadn't considered that. As for consequences like you say, I think consequences should be in game consequences like being brigged or losing access. Unless the no-name greyshirt lucks into robusting the sec officers arresting him and taking control of the station, that is obviously not ok on any level. 

As for Alec's suggestion, I'm all for more than a single antag so long as there is more than one non-antag command or sec officer.
I noticed not a lot goes on in 1, so I tend to try to do things that cause minor problems to make things interesting.

I've stolen stuff to make and sell weed, I've snuck Space Drug Ice Cream into the dining room, I stole a mop and bucket from the janitor and crushed it in retaliation to slipping on water without a sign, I stole a labeler and marked every door I could as a security area, very silly small things.

That janitor thing did end with me dying, but it was my fault anyways all security's fault for not confiscating my belt of tools to break out of the brig.

Anyways, this reminded me of a bug I need to report.
I have a tendency to waffle so I'll keep this post brief.

Apart from a few characters you can rely on to cause trouble (Tooty, Corinna Thrush) most people stay in the bounds of the law. You don't have to! So long as you don't get obnoxious by doing it all the time, keeping at it to the point of annoyance or getting in the way of more important business (e.g. don't be breaking into sec while all the officers have their hands full with a bomb threat/hostage crisis). A bit of minor crime or properly-escalated fighting can bring a lot of fun conflict to a round.

I'd also say something quite frank re: playing sec: If you interpret the role of sec as to catch the bad guys, you will not have fun a lot of the time. Keep the peace! Protect the innocent! Help those who can't help themselves! Give attention to even minor disturbances and, when there's nothing else, goof off with the crew, hold safety seminars and generally make the fun yourself.