Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Feature] Functional Organs, also some Cyber Organs(updated)
(09-15-2018, 11:44 AM)kyle2143 Wrote:
(09-15-2018, 09:29 AM)MeWaka Wrote: Will there be synthetic plant version of the new organs?

This patch does not contain Synth organs. I had no particular ideas for what they should be able to do. I barely knew what to do with cyber organs.

But, this is set up in such a way that it will be relatively simple to add functional Synth organs provided someone makes up sprites and has ideas about what each should do.

Color: green 
Efficiency: meh 
Patch: complete
I agree with Warcrimes.

It would be quite inconsistent to have the synth plant (new) organs to have special abilities while the others not.
I'm not sure I understand what you guys are saying. You want synth organs to be completely inferior to regular organs?
My main idea was for regular organs to work so that there is little change to functionality to a all meat spaceman, and robot organs would have certain advantages and drawbacks. And I assumed that synth would similarly have advantages and disadvantages, since standard synth organs currently are the most time consuming to make (synth limbs). 

I would think that people would consider it to be pointless to bother growing synth organs if they are in every way inferior to meat and cyber organs. If anything I expected people to want them to have more varied or something like plant based effects since they take longest to make.
they'd have the exact same purpose as currently, to replace fucked up organs & to serve as bulk versions for chef's recipes (Stomachs and bowels should definitely be involved in haggis & sausage, lets be honest)
OK, I'm picking up what you're putting down. That sounds fine to me, my worry is just that nobody would use them to replace damaged organs when it's so much easier to make cyber organs. Maybe that's unfounded though, can't be sure without playtesting, or without synthorgans actually existing.

Though if everyone agrees that that's all they want synthorgans to do, then it should be very simple to add them once someone makes up sprites for the organs themselves and the plants that grow into them.
I think that while cyber organs are admittedly easier to make, they have one drawback : they're not free
produce, being a primary material, is functionally free, whereas anything manufactured requires some deeper interdepartmental coop
oh man please please please give me this stuff
i am so excited for cyberorgans and more gibstuff
(09-17-2018, 01:49 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: ...my worry is just that nobody would use (grown organs) to replace damaged organs when it's so much easier to make cyber organs.
I fully agree that the organs grown in botany are quite useless. It has been a long-standing tradition/oversight, with many a thread with little to show for it.
It is a bit out-of-scope for your new feature; you have made something awesome, don't let existing problem of balancing out the synth-organs deter you from finalizing your work.
(09-20-2018, 09:59 AM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote:
(09-17-2018, 01:49 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: ...my worry is just that nobody would use (grown organs) to replace damaged organs when it's so much easier to make cyber organs.
I fully agree that the organs grown in botany are quite useless. It has been a long-standing tradition/oversight, with many a thread with little to show for it.
It is a bit out-of-scope for your new feature; you have made something awesome, don't let existing problem of balancing out the synth-organs deter you from finalizing your work.

I think you're right. Even if it was just waiting on sprites, that could take a while unless I personally did a simple recolor. 

Plus, I think that actual Synth organs could have a lot of potential concerning all those weird botany nuances with splicing or whatever they are. And I hand't considered that before.

As far as I'm concerned the patch is finished, I haven't really touched it since making my update. I suppose there could be some more special powers for standard cyberorgans and interesting cyberorgans, like there are for cybereyes, but I figure that is something that is better added over time.

The only thing of real issue that remains would be reconciling eye damage and blindness with my new organs. But I think that would require a complete rework to the current blindness system, which is definitely beyond the scope of this patch.
(09-20-2018, 07:43 PM)kyle2143 Wrote:
(09-20-2018, 09:59 AM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote:

As far as I'm concerned the patch is finished, I haven't really touched it since making my update. I suppose there could be some more special powers for standard cyberorgans and interesting cyberorgans, like there are for cybereyes, but I figure that is something that is better added over time.

Cybereyes have a use?
I made a couple changes to this over the last few days, I thought I'd mention them here:

1. Cyber Lungs now enable their owner to safely breathe a different atmospheric composition. They can breathe in a lower pressure of Oxygen, and can survive slightly higher levels of CO2 and Plasma. You have to have two cyberlungs in order to get this benefit.

2. In doing the above, now humans have a variable on them that is "datum/respiration_type" which just holds the safe values for gases breathed. Currently there is the regular old human breathing composition, robo lungs, and synth lungs. (but synth lungs are exactly the same as human atm)

3. When I first made the surgical scissors I made it in a bunch of different colours since I couldn't decide what worked best. Someone suggested I just make it be a random colour each time, but I was lazy at the time. I did that now.
Synthlungs could probably take a higher level of CO2 then flesh-lungs
(12-10-2018, 02:37 PM)Tarmunora Wrote: Synthlungs could probably take a higher level of CO2 then flesh-lungs

That's what I said.
> They can breathe in a lower pressure of Oxygen, and can survive slightly higher levels of CO2 and Plasma. You have to have two cyberlungs in order to get this benefit.

I didn't post the actual values, but regular lungs can handle 9% CO2, with cyberlungs they can do 18%.
tarmunora said synthlungs, which you said are just human lungs atm. cyber lungs handle more c02 than human lungs, i think tarm was saying synth lungs should be able to handle more c02, id say either more than the cyber lungs can, or just as an easier to make middle ground between human and cyber
(12-10-2018, 11:47 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: tarmunora said synthlungs, which you said are just human lungs atm. cyber lungs handle more c02 than human lungs, i think tarm was saying synth lungs should be able to handle more c02, id say either more than the cyber lungs can, or just as an easier to make middle ground between human and cyber

Oh shit, you got me. I'm dumb. I wasn't even drunk when I responded so I have no excuse. 

Also yeah I agree 100% it would be fun is synthlungs could breathe very high levels of CO2. 

I didn't do anything special for synth lungs because Synth lungs at this moment do not exist. Well, there's code for em, but it doesn't do anything special and there are no sprites for em.