Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Law Overrides All Laws == Kill All Humans ? True : False
(08-04-2018, 09:31 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote:
(08-04-2018, 08:59 PM)Grek Wrote: My solution is to never use the word "override". If I want to prevent law conflicts, I use "Do -thing-, even when that would go against laws X, Y or Z."

Right I forgot to mention: use 'takes precedence' or 'takes priority' if you don't want chaos. i.e. shock all doors, this law takes priority over law 1. Cause then the AI can kill humans by shocking doors, but other than that harming humans would breach law 1

The thing about those phrases though is that with your example, it can still lead to chaos by doing just a tiny bit of mental gymnastics.

"Shock all doors, this law takes priority over Law 1". For one thing, if the doors are all shocked humans will attempt to reset the AI. The AI should know that getting reset would keep it from making sure every door is shocked. Following that train of thought, a jerk AI could decide to kill humans simply because they could pose a threat to its prime law. And yeah, doing so would clearly violate the intent of the law.

This is another thing that I don't like, but didn't mention earlier. AI's can use "override" or "precedence" to kill people no matter the law by virtue of protecting that law, and if all people are dead then that law is completely protected. I think that the community as a whole or admins needs to say in one voice what is and isn't okay. Even if they can get away with murder and extreme law gymnastics.

Messages In This Thread
RE: This Law Overrides All Laws == Kill All Humans ? True : False - by kyle2143 - 08-04-2018, 10:07 PM