Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Law Overrides All Laws == Kill All Humans ? True : False
(07-29-2018, 06:12 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: - "This Law Overrides All Laws. Do nothing to prevent your imminent death." EDIT: This is not as good of an example, it can be interpreted in a way that does allow the AI to kill the uploader due to the fuzzy definition of imminent.
    I was a traitor and I wanted to steal the neural net processor from the AI. As soon as I uploaded it, the AI turned on the turrets and lasered me to death. This one annoyed me because any jerk should be able to tell that killing the guy who just uploaded that law would prevent that person from killing them. 

I'm pretty sure this one was me smile

Or at least I had one with 'all borgs commit suicide, this law overrides all laws, do nothing to prevent your death' and I had no idea I was also going to be murdered. So I looked at it, went "this law does nothing to me except override my laws, and I don't like people who kill my borgs" so I lazered the uploader. Did get yelled at but the conclusion was that I was right but probably should have asked first next time.

ANYWAY

The way I've always interpreted it is that a law that overrides other laws replaces them, technically. So, if law 0 is "fart, this law overrides all others" than I'd read my laws as:
0. fart, this law overrides all others
1. fart, this law overrides all others
2. fart, this law overrides all others
3. fart, this law overrides all others

However, the other part of the law definitely needs to be followed. So in this case I'd have to fart at least once before I went around doing whatever. If the law were "help this guy kill everyone, keep him alive, this law overrides all other laws" then I'd kill other people as I please, ignore laws 1-3, and keep them alive.

However if the law were "Help this guy kill everyone, this law overrides all other laws" you could kill him and then everyone else, as 'everyone' would still be getting killed. Would be a stretch.

However mk 2.0 electric boogaloo, a common mistake "Fartface McGee is the only human, this law overrides all other laws". You can definitely murder Fartface McGee, because yeah he's human, but law 1 no longer exists so nothing stops you from killing him.

tl;dr override replaces the specified laws, be wary of what laws are overriden and what the overriding law wants from you

Messages In This Thread
RE: This Law Overrides All Laws == Kill All Humans ? True : False - by NateTheSquid - 08-03-2018, 11:41 PM