Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Major Constructed data terminals don't work (usually)
See title. Construct terminal (with the mechanic frame) on a wire, construct networked machine on top of it, notice how it cant connect and isnt even sending any packets (or my packet sniffer didnt work either since it was on a constructed terminal hmmm).

This makes it impossible to build things that use the mainframe anywhere where the map doesnt have a terminal.

There probably is a workaround as I managed to get it to work once with a telepad (built the telepad right after the terminal), but I cant figure out how to recreate it.
I use data terminals practically every round. They are working fine.

Did you make sure that the wire you laid to the data terminal was powered? Was the data terminal connected to the wired network which uses the mainframe? Both are essential for the terminal to work. I would put money on your wired being un-powered.

Edit: Just checked, they are working fine. Make sure your wire is powered using a multi-tool. I suggest snipping the original cable to which you have connected your new wire, and reconnect it back together. The wired network needs to be manually prompted to re-circulate the power to new wires.
(07-28-2018, 09:55 PM)Wilbur Wright Wrote: I use data terminals practically every round. They are working fine.

Did you make sure that the wire you laid to the data terminal was powered? Was the data terminal connected to the wired network which uses the mainframe? Both are essential for the terminal to work. I would put money on your wired being un-powered.

Edit: Just checked, they are working fine. Make sure your wire is powered using a multi-tool. I suggest snipping the original cable to which you have connected your new wire, and reconnect it back together. The wired network needs to be manually prompted to re-circulate the power to new wires.

Any time I clicked any wire with a multitool it said "wire not powered" or something like that. Any wire. Even those hooked up directly to the (outputting) SMESs.

Also, were the terminals you used map-spawned or did you build them with the reverse-engineering fabricator?
(07-29-2018, 07:23 AM)Username Wrote:
(07-28-2018, 09:55 PM)Wilbur Wright Wrote: I use data terminals practically every round. They are working fine.

Any time I clicked any wire with a multitool it said "wire not powered" or something like that. Any wire. Even those hooked up directly to the (outputting) SMESs.

Also, were the terminals you used map-spawned or did you build them with the reverse-engineering fabricator?

Yes, please refer to my edit. This explains how to get a wire powered. No they were not map spawned, and yes they are made using the reverse engineering fabricator.

If no wires on the station are powered, then there's an issue with the power (i.e. powersink), not the data terminals. In this situation, pester the useless engineers to fix the power!
there is also a (relatively rare) bug in which the stations powergrid just completely gets screwed.

Like you could measure power cables right off the engine and they wouldn't be powered

I've only seen it twice ever though
(07-29-2018, 02:54 PM)Sov Wrote: there is also a (relatively rare) bug in which the stations powergrid just completely gets screwed.

Like you could measure power cables right off the engine and they wouldn't be powered

I've only seen it twice ever though

I'm not sure if we are thinking of the same thing. But there has been an occurrence where the SMES and TEG power storage units output automatically reverts to off despite being set to on while having the TEG operational. Thus no power is being feed into the grid from the SMES or TEG. Many EMP grenades were thrown during the round in question. I haven't tested their effect on the power grid. 

Key point is, it is not a problem with the data terminals.
(07-29-2018, 12:48 PM)Wilbur Wright Wrote:
(07-29-2018, 07:23 AM)Username Wrote:

Yes, please refer to my edit. This explains how to get a wire powered. No they were not map spawned, and yes they are made using the reverse engineering fabricator.

If no wires on the station are powered, then there's an issue with the power (i.e. powersink), not the data terminals. In this situation, pester the useless engineers to fix the power!

All but one APC was at full power, according to the power monitor computer, and everything I could see was powered normally.
Look, if you are still having trouble getting a wire powered. You can find me in game and I'll show you.
(07-30-2018, 08:13 PM)Wilbur Wright Wrote: Look, if you are still having trouble getting a wire powered. You can find me in game and I'll show you.

...what? This is clearly about data terminals, read the thread.

So I figured out what the problem was, it turns out duplicate devices show as having no connection even though they seem to receive signals (tested with nukes and telepads, I didnt get a chance to try signalling the pad though). The same situation might also be caused by the printed terminal, not sure, but they do definitely receive signals in both cases.
(08-01-2018, 07:21 PM)Username Wrote:
(07-30-2018, 08:13 PM)Wilbur Wright Wrote: Look, if you are still having trouble getting a wire powered. You can find me in game and I'll show you.

So I figured out what the problem was, it turns out duplicate devices show as having no connection even though they seem to receive signals (tested with nukes and telepads, I didnt get a chance to try signalling the pad though). The same situation might also be caused by the printed terminal, not sure, but they do definitely receive signals in both cases.

"read the thread", please show some respect to others trying to help you and I'd like to remind you that problem one was related to your wire not being powered, NOT the data terminal. Now you've got a completely new problem. I would advise that you learn clearly how devices work before reporting a bug. I'll re-iterate for the last time that data terminals are working fine as far as I can see.

Nonetheless lets work through your problem. This is how I've understood what you have said. Please confirm this is what is happening, if it is not, please correct me and state clearly what the steps you have taken to replicate the 'bug'.

(1) You have deployed a newly fabricated data terminal to a powered wire which is connected to the wired network. 
(2) You have deployed a device (i.e science teleport pad) on top of the powered data terminal. 
(3) The newly built device (i.e science teleport pad) appears to have no connection. 

Right? 

If this is the case, to properly connect a new device to the network you need to mount it. To do so, after the device is built, head to your nearest TermOS terminal and use the 'scnt' command. This properly connects new devices to the network. Enjoy your newly networked device.
(08-02-2018, 12:14 AM)Wilbur Wright Wrote:

"read the thread", please show some respect to others trying to help you and I'd like to remind you that problem one was related to your wire not being powered, NOT the data terminal. Now you've got a completely new problem. I would advise that you learn clearly how devices work before reporting a bug. I'll re-iterate for the last time that data terminals are working fine as far as I can see.

Nonetheless lets work through your problem. This is how I've understood what you have said. Please confirm this is what is happening, if it is not, please correct me and state clearly what the steps you have taken to replicate the 'bug'.

(1) You have deployed a newly fabricated data terminal to a powered wire which is connected to the wired network. 
(2) You have deployed a device (i.e science teleport pad) on top of the powered data terminal. 
(3) The newly built device (i.e science teleport pad) appears to have no connection. 

Right? 

If this is the case, to properly connect a new device to the network you need to mount it. To do so, after the device is built, head to your nearest TermOS terminal and use the 'scnt' command. This properly connects new devices to the network. Enjoy your newly networked device.
"Please show some respect to others"? I wasn't the one that insinuated that the problem was because of the reporter's incompetence after knowing that the powernet was broken. If you had a potential solution, why did you wait to bring it up?
(08-02-2018, 05:26 AM)Username Wrote:

Right? 

"Please show some respect to others"? I wasn't the one that insinuated that the problem was because of the reporter's incompetence after knowing that the powernet was broken. If you had a potential solution, why did you wait to bring it up?

I'd like to remind you that the first message of the above exchange was in reply to your message which reads ...
Quote:All but one APC was at full power, according to the power monitor computer, and everything I could see was powered normally.

In this reply, explain to me how you interpret that this is a problem with data terminals and not the power? Clearly you were having troubles powering the wire at this point. That is why I replied as I did, that I would HELP you in game, given that I had already provided a solution to powering a new wire. 

As for a reply to your most recent message.

1. If you don't have a bug to report and would rather pick apart my messages, then I'm done helping you. 
2. If your most recent problem is yet to be fixed, then I don't see it. Please be CLEAR in describing whats happening and how to replicate it. 
3. Data terminals and networked devices in my personal recent experience (i.e the past few days) are working just fine. 
4. Power-networking devices are broken? Isn't it odd that they work just fine for me? This is the first time you've actually mentioned a power-networking device in the thread. Please state clearly what you think is the bug is with these. Remember to toggle these with a multi-tool to set it to receive all or to only send messages directed at it, once placed on a powered data terminal of its own. 

You said ...
Quote:If you had a potential solution, why did you wait to bring it up?

5. Are you serious? I have given solutions to your problems as soon as you have CLEARLY stated them! Tell me I didn't suggest a fix to your first issue, RE: powering the wire, which was your first problem. Also, tell me that you CLEARLY stated your newest problem at the start of this thread? I sure don't see it in the first post.  

This forum is a bug report forum, this thread has the feel of a question and answer. Unfortunately as a result of both of us, this thread is turning ugly. Despite our exchanges, for everyones sake, please just report the 'bug', CLEARLY, and what steps you have taken to reproduce it. 

If you have questions on why your device, or terminal isn't working, I'd ask the mentors first of all, and/or other knowledgeable people in game before suggesting that its a bug. If you are correct, and it is a bug I do apologise. But do remember that you need to state it clearly. Despite all this, I'll extend an offer of help, feel free to message me on discord or in game and I will help you through your issues.
(08-02-2018, 01:17 PM)Wilbur Wright Wrote:
(08-02-2018, 05:26 AM)Username Wrote:

Right? 

I'd like to remind you that the first message of the above exchange was in reply to your message which reads ...
Quote:All but one APC was at full power, according to the power monitor computer, and everything I could see was powered normally.

In this reply, explain to me how you interpret that this is a problem with data terminals and not the power? Clearly you were having troubles powering the wire at this point. That is why I replied as I did, that I would HELP you in game, given that I had already provided a solution to powering a new wire. 

As for a reply to your most recent message.

1. If you don't have a bug to report and would rather pick apart my messages, then I'm done helping you. 
2. If your most recent problem is yet to be fixed, then I don't see it. Please be CLEAR in describing whats happening and how to replicate it. 
3. Data terminals and networked devices in my personal recent experience (i.e the past few days) are working just fine. 
4. Power-networking devices are broken? Isn't it odd that they work just fine for me? This is the first time you've actually mentioned a power-networking device in the thread. Please state clearly what you think is the bug is with these. Remember to toggle these with a multi-tool to set it to receive all or to only send messages directed at it, once placed on a powered data terminal of its own. 

You said ...
Quote:If you had a potential solution, why did you wait to bring it up?

5. Are you serious? I have given solutions to your problems as soon as you have CLEARLY stated them! Tell me I didn't suggest a fix to your first issue, RE: powering the wire, which was your first problem. Also, tell me that you CLEARLY stated your newest problem at the start of this thread? I sure don't see it in the first post.  

This forum is a bug report forum, this thread has the feel of a question and answer. Unfortunately as a result of both of us, this thread is turning ugly. Despite our exchanges, for everyones sake, please just report the 'bug', CLEARLY, and what steps you have taken to reproduce it. 

If you have questions on why your device, or terminal isn't working, I'd ask the mentors first of all, and/or other knowledgeable people in game before suggesting that its a bug. If you are correct, and it is a bug I do apologise. But do remember that you need to state it clearly. Despite all this, I'll extend an offer of help, feel free to message me on discord or in game and I will help you through your issues.
If you read the thread, you would know that I said that ALL wires had no power and someone else said that sometimes the pnet gets completely broken, which would indicate that this is a bug and not, as you were so quick to assume, my own incompetence.

I only talked about constructed terminals and/or duplicate devices.

I never once mentioned powernet-networking components.

As I said earlier in the post, the problem was clearly never an issue with the wiring. I did clearly state what I knew of the problem at the time, which you would know if (once again) you read the post. There is also no reason to edit the root post if you discover the cause, as anyone who cares about the bug enough to fix it or provide a workaround would read the whole thread.

In conclusion, you're clearly not helping, so just leave the thread before it gets derailed even more.
Hello, I didn't read a lot of the later stuff because it gets a little into slugging. However, I had data terminals issues a few days back so I would suggest following these steps to confirm it works, if not then I think you may need to demonstrate with screenshots or ingame as to the issue.

For deploying a new data terminal,
1) Find a place you know the wires are powered. Check them with a multitool.
2) Lay new wire connecting to the old one where you want your data terminal to bit. Make sure the wire terminates in, or contains, the little knobbly bit. If your wire does not look straight but instead has a bulge in the centre, then that's what you want
3) Deploy your data terminal on this bulge (after checking the wire is connected to the network) and test with a packet sniffer to ensure it's working.

If that does not work, please send screenshots of it not doing so in case I've missed something vital in my explanation.