Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Players with like-accents should be able to understand others with that accent
Not sure if this already happens or not since I never play with those accents traits or generics, but some of them are utterly unintelligible. I think that people with like-accents should be able to understand that accent in regular text.
Not sure if this is intended but I'll write it here anyway: this could potentially lead to people choosing various accents to sound extremely garbled while being able to normally play with other players that did the same - leading to a Horde V Alliance situation but in SS13 - probably not something you want.
Didn't think about that, it could be a pain if people were speaking secret languages. New idea: Remove accents except for when you join a gang, all gangs have a unique accent.
I think that if you play with an accent for long enough already, you understand the accent well enough that your own mind can do the translating.
(07-25-2018, 01:07 PM)Huff H Law Wrote: Not sure if this is intended but I'll write it here anyway: this could potentially lead to people choosing various accents to sound extremely garbled while being able to normally play with other players that did the same - leading to a Horde V Alliance situation but in SS13 - probably not something you want.

Anything that leads to more pointless arbitrary ingame conflict is fine with me. Cliquey bands of mushmouthed jackasses sounds interesting, and it might be self regulating since you can always just be an even bigger jackass back at them.
Horde V Alliance is saving the world together then finding some dumb shit to get mad about so they can justify being two seperate factions. We would have MUCH more fun
(07-28-2018, 04:54 PM)poland spring Wrote: Horde V Alliance is saving the world together then finding some dumb shit to get mad about so they can justify being two seperate factions.  We would have MUCH more fun

Nuke Operatives are stopped.

Then someone gets into a fight over a sandwich.

Next thing you know, massive war between Cargonia and Hydrotropolis.
We oughta just have translation devices that repeat things they hear in a selected language
If it’s that big of a problem, let medbay produce universal translator implants that disable accent effects on speech. Problem solved.
(07-29-2018, 12:53 AM)LuigiThirty Wrote: If it’s that big of a problem, let medbay produce universal translator implants that disable accent effects on speech. Problem solved.
Now this I like! I have had some real problems with understanding my masters (as a mindslave) with weird accents, but I can hardly ask them to get cured.
Picking up an implant from medbay would save quite some headaches.
What if the translator implant made it sound to you as an accent of its own, where it makes it sound very clinical, but easy to read? Maybe even selfcensoring swearing at that point or something? I may be overthinking this :P
(07-30-2018, 11:10 AM)Recusor Wrote: Maybe even selfcensoring swearing at that point or something?

Please implement the V-chip from the South Park Movie immediately.
What if people actually decided to try and learn to understand accents (Except Gyrus X of course)instead of trying to make it auto-translate for lazy people?
(08-04-2018, 04:34 AM)MrMagolor Wrote: What if people actually decided to try and learn to understand accents (Except Gyrus X of course)instead of trying to make it auto-translate for lazy people?

Why revamp pathology to not randomly destroy samples and be more user friendly? If people are too lazy to put in the effort like a true Gamer™, why do they deserve the same fun as me?
(08-04-2018, 08:14 AM)cyberTripping Wrote:
(08-04-2018, 04:34 AM)MrMagolor Wrote: What if people actually decided to try and learn to understand accents (Except Gyrus X of course)instead of trying to make it auto-translate for lazy people?

Why revamp pathology to not randomly destroy samples and be more user friendly? If people are too lazy to put in the effort like a true Gamer™, why do they deserve the same fun as me?

That's a completely different scenario.

Pathology's arbitrary and random sample destruction was an unfun game mechanic that punished you regardless of your level of expertise or familiarity with the game. Accents add humor and flavor to the game and can (for the most part) be easily understood with even a minimal amount of experience.

That having been said, while I disagree with your method of argumentation, I do support making a translation implant. It'd be cool and science-y and could help with the more outlandish "accents" like reversed text or yee speak