Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Oshan Toxins Discussion
Rainbow 
So, with the introduction of oshan we are given a toxins lab which has trouble heating any sort of gas beyond 6k. The issue being the replenishing nitrogen moreso than the water. However, I have found a way to make a canbomb.(although i have only gotten one the size of the testing room at the toxins outpost so far)

I have had two working bombs made, one at 90000 pressure, slightly over 100000 temp. The other being at about 60000 pressure(I fucked up and released too much in a panic) and 230000 temp
How big have my fellow toxins nerds gotten?
I only checked out toxins once so this is speculation:

IIRC pressure is pretty negligible (vs can durability) in the calculations. That means the insane heat is necessary for reaching the cap, and that means finding a way to keep cans from exploding from ambient heat. This used to be accomplished via the cold of space, which we don't have. Seeing as heat makes water evaporate, I doubt submerging cans helps.

TL;DR: I don't think proper canbombs are possible unless something has changed while I was inactive. If you wanna bomb big, I suggest learning how to nuke.

Honetly? I wouldn't mind if Oshan was incredibly demo-resistant on top of having harder-to-make explosives. Demo-lag on Oshan is particularly bad in the first place. Besides, it gives TTVs some love.
(08-31-2018, 06:23 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: I only checked out toxins once so this is speculation:

IIRC pressure is pretty negligible (vs can durability) in the calculations. That means the insane heat is necessary for reaching the cap, and that means finding a way to keep cans from exploding from ambient heat. This used to be accomplished via the cold of space, which we don't have. Seeing as heat makes water evaporate, I doubt submerging cans helps.

TL;DR: I don't think proper canbombs are possible unless something has changed while I was inactive. If you wanna bomb big, I suggest learning how to nuke.

Honetly? I wouldn't mind if Oshan was incredibly demo-resistant on top of having harder-to-make explosives. Demo-lag on Oshan is particularly bad in the first place. Besides, it gives TTVs some love.
I use hvacs to cool the room to prevent explosions, it seems to cool it enough to keep them from popping even though you still need to wear a fire suit and have internals.
Okay, new personal record, which spanned the majority of the toxins corner itself. Pressure: 117703 kPa, Temperature: 165972°C.

Can hissed but it didn't get any rng rolls to fuck it over more.
(08-31-2018, 06:23 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: Honetly? I wouldn't mind if Oshan was incredibly demo-resistant on top of having harder-to-make explosives. Demo-lag on Oshan is particularly bad in the first place. Besides, it gives TTVs some love.

TTVs and weldbombs are working as intended despite some of the quirks associated with the ocean combustion chambers.
(08-31-2018, 06:23 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: I only checked out toxins once so this is speculation:

Possiblity wrong - however I believe ocean floor tiles like space tiles have a fixed heat in the case 48c - hotspots may affect this. In that regard removing the floor directly below a can would give it complete immunity to overheating g

As others have said TTVs are absolutely possible, and frankly quite easy still.

Getting a cannisters heated a a bazillion degrees however is not something we have yet found a working method for. I am interested in how others got it as high as they did so far.

I have a few ideas that would make building a can possible- though they aren't exactly practical in application and/or rely on certain Atmos exploits
Question box I never said TTVs were impossible? You can make those with an air pump, a gas tank dispenser, a small room and a lighter. I just said it gives them some love, aka there's actually a point to them right now.

It's good to know that the sea floor is (maybe) a constant 48c. Now we just need a way to rid yourself of waste gases. Also maybe the coldness of space. Sounds like it wouldn't matter, but this is byond and we're talkin' about creating and trapping plasma hotter than the core of the Sun.
(09-05-2018, 06:43 AM)Sov Wrote: Getting a cannisters heated a a bazillion degrees however is not something we have yet found a working method for. I am interested in how others got it as high as they did so far.

Well, the burns always start pretty decently enough with the exhaust closed. The co2 builds up and fucks the burn though. We can always close off the hot loop, cut off fuel, open the vent and let it all settle down to seafloor atmos. After that close er up and restart. Two problems with this method though. First, it takes an UNGODLY amount of time to get anything resembling supermassive heat. Second, you are still limited to the shitty pre-blue temps.

The solution I have messed around with is preheating both plasma and o2 and trying to find a good temp/pressure ratio to have them react within the can itself. Some problems i have run into would be of course pressure overload and not being able to get it to the sea to vent it, or the 1k pressure release not being enough, and i have also run into the fact that Co2 has different pressure to temp ratio per mol. So much so that you can accidentally dud a perfectly good can just by waiting too long and having that glorious 90k pressure be reduced to several thousand. This is most notable when you do the 33/66 mix and the entire can is converted to co2.
Are atmos pumps still able to hold an infinite amount of pressure without bursting? If they are, I really should report that as a bug. Also that might be one way to contain the fires of toxic hell.
(10-17-2018, 04:23 AM)Superlagg Wrote: Are atmos pumps still able to hold an infinite amount of pressure without bursting? If they are, I really should report that as a bug. Also that might be one way to contain the fires of toxic hell.

They are, but I think that's an intended behavior. There aren't really any other ways to deal with such an immense amount of pressure without them.
I still think a sol length round is the only way to even pretend to hope to get a decent sized canbomb and I have not gotten the chance to see how far I can go on the hour and a half plus rounds. Has anybody else had better luck on oshan?

Edit:
Also, would the amount holdable even matter for the most part? you can only output so much afaik.
Not sure what the current state of Oshan Toxins is, however, I think that this issue has a potentially easy, albeit somewhat-but-not-really complicated fix:

Essentially, build a big 'ol vacuum chamber around the burn chambers and add a space between the chambers and the lab. This would surround the burn chambers with a vacuum rather than heat-absorbing water. Additionally, magic atmosphere-deleting tiles (that don't work when wet) could be added to this vacuum chamber to keep it as a vacuum chamber.
I posted this in the questionable quality ideas form a while ago -

Idea - Null field.

With some issues being discussed in the Oshan forum about difficulties for toxins to reach high temperatures due to venting problems and gas mechanics that previously relied on Space tiles, what about a field idea very similar in look and function to the Liquid/gas forcefields we have on Oshan that would simulate a space tile in eating ambient gases and cooling things down. These could be put at specific locations (Toxin burn chambers).

In my mind we could say "LASER COOLING" as the reason :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_cooling

Thoughts?