Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
dont let people be conspirators if they have the pref off
afaik the game chooses random people to be conspirators if not enough people have that option enabled. personally, i just dont join in at roundstart anymore because of the fact that i have the possibility to be an antagonist when i always have those roles disabled. if the game bypasses your statement as to whether or not you wanna be an antag, then why leave the choice in for it?

(sorry if this seemed a bit knee-jerky / ranty, its just been frustrating me to no end)
(07-15-2018, 06:03 PM)Wraithcraft Wrote: If the game bypasses your statement as to whether or not you wanna be an antag, then why leave the choice in for it?

Short answer?  Someone's gotta do it.

I haven't been on 1 that long, but is it a safe presumption that antags tend to be the main conflict causers?
(07-15-2018, 06:35 PM)Technature Wrote: Short answer?  Someone's gotta do it.

This, basically. If not enough people have it on, short of changing the round to extended how else could you solve it?

Antags aren't required to be antagonistic, they're just encouraged to and have the option to. Generally, when I'm an antag on #1 I play the same as I would as non-antag until something happens that the non-antag status would normally prevent me from acting on (non-antag Medical Director Woods is a bitch, antag Medical Director Woods will make your life hell if you piss her off).
(07-16-2018, 08:39 AM)Mordent Wrote: If not enough people have it on, short of changing the round to extended how else could you solve it?

Check everyone's antag prefs and swap to a random antag that someone has enabled?
(07-15-2018, 06:35 PM)Technature Wrote: I haven't been on 1 that long, but is it a safe presumption that antags tend to be the main conflict causers?

No. That's Tooty.
 In all seriousness: RP1 already gets a whole load of extended rounds and rounds where the antagonists stay out of the way / don't know what to do / didn't want to be an antagonist in the first place. I think one reason for this is that forcing people who don't want to be antags into the role just means they often won't do it! Here's what I'd suggest:
  • Roundtypes which rely on roundstart antagonists and relatively high population counts remain the same as current. Examples: Nuke, blob, rev, gang. None of these appear on RP1 anyway, so there's basically guaranteed to be enough people.
  • Roundtypes which don't, however, such as traitor and changeling, get changed so that antagonist preferences are totally respected in the case of roundstart and latejoin. They can therefore start with no antagonists,  but until at least one antagonist has been chosen the chance for latejoin antagonists to appear is greatly increased.
 This means only people who are willing to do it will become antagonist and near-ensures there will be at least one antagonist. Seems better to me than the current setup.
I feel sympathetic to WraithCraft, but I agree with Mordent.
It is 'no-consequense' problem, not worth the effort of solving.

I'm not sure if it makes you feel any better next time you get an enforced antag role, but knowing for sure there is at least 1 antagonist who isn't being a prick helps me feel more comfortable. Or at least, less 'accidentally the entire station'.
yeah, making this thread was a kneejerky choice. if i step back and get myself out of the picture, i can understand why that system is in place and how useful it is.