Awfulworldkid Mentor App 3: Electric Boogaloo
https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=8260

Usual Character Name: (old) Chance Ironmonger / (new) Cassandra Ironmonger / (newer) Rhea Drakonova
BYOND Username: Awfulworldkid
Recommended by (if applicable): Grifflez, Avack
Times Available: 10AM - 4PM and sometimes 7PM - 11PM EST in the summer, erratically during school season

Reason for Application + Game Experience (300 word minimum): 
I used to be a mentor a long time ago, and though I did get removed as a mentor for being a big jerk to new people (I maintain that some of them deserved it, especially the captain that removed access on his own ID to go be a roboticist and made it entirely harder than it should have been to call the shuttle), I like to think that I've improved significantly over the last year or so. I don't know as much as I used to about modern systems, since part of that year or so was spent going on hiatus from Goonstation, but I'm pretty good with most science stuff except toxins. That includes genetics, robotics, materials science, and loaf science (and MechComp to an extent), and there's definitely some proof of my knowledge in a reference document I created and still curate that's going around the Solarium discord. In addition to what specific parts of the game I'm good at, I'm at a baseline competence level for pretty much any job, and I have a lot of little tips and tricks for different things that could really help people who are struggling for one reason or another. And, of course, I know from experience that a good half of all mentorhelps don't really need specialized knowledge to answer, and a lot of the minority that do need that specialized knowledge aren't something that a mentor absolutely needs to know and can't look up somewhere. My weakest point is probably security, since I haven't played it in a very very long time, but I know there are a lot of people that play around the same time I do that do play a lot of Sec, like Schwick (Roman Lawhon), so they could help with mentorhelps about Security. Since I got removed as a mentor, I've gotten a lot better in general with the sort of thing that got me removed as a mentor, so I do believe that I can conduct myself well enough nowadays to be a useful and helpful mentor.

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will):
Banned for a day on the RP server several times for not following the RP Rules, got de-mentored for being a jerk to new people last year if that counts.
Ey yo if this is supposed to be a joke "(I maintain that some of them deserved it, especially the captain that removed access on his own ID to go be a roboticist and made it entirely harder than it should have been to call the shuttle)" it's not funny and this is not the place for it, especially considering the circumstances. This app also lacks an actual reason for why you want to be a mentor, just a list of things you know. Based on what happened in the past you should probably do something to convince us you don't want to just smug it up again.

I reserve my judgement until some others chime in.
I don't actually know why I want to be a mentor, it just seemed like the thing to do to get more involved in the community. And yes, I probably shouldn't have included that line, but I guess when I wrote it I meant it as vaguely a reason as to WHY I was such a jerk at the time.
No. Not after how you behaved as mentor last time.
There are plenty of ways to be more involved in the community aside from being mentor, especially if you don't actually know why you want to be one. That combined with how you previously acted as a mentor makes this one a no from me.
If you don't know why you want to be a mentor, then why did you even apply?

This is going to be a firm no from me.
Personally, I think a generic 'to help people I guess' sentiment isn't really worth getting up in arms about, even if it's not worded super convincingly here. It seems to suffice for most other mentor applicants.

That said, with your behaviour on an average round I'm flabberghasted you ever made mentor in the first place. In addition, the 'it's not like mentors really need to, like, know anything about the game' part is pretty offputting, and while it's great that you've been maintaining that sol reference document, getting into slapfights over it does not bode well for the future.

No.
Yeah, no.
(07-11-2018, 03:41 PM)awfulworldkid Wrote: I used to be a mentor a long time ago, and though I did get removed as a mentor for being a big jerk to new people (I maintain that some of them deserved it, especially the captain that removed access on his own ID to go be a roboticist and made it entirely harder than it should have been to call the shuttle)

This alone gets a pretty hard no from me, but you also mention that you know things i guess?

Please read over approved Mentor Apps to get a general idea of why other people were approved.  Anyone can know things about the game.  You need more than that, especially since you proved to be a bad mentor before.

Saying Nay on this.
App is dumb however based on what i've seen in discord+your behavior in game i'd say rementoring you wouldn't hurt, i'd suggest taking a hard look at both why you want to be mentor and what you would bring other then knowledge to the team, then use that to rewrite this app later, but for now, i'll have to say no on this.

Also i hate to doublepost but i forgot to add one other point, the "I maintain that some of them deserved it, especially the captain that removed access on his own ID to go be a roboticist and made it entirely harder than it should have been to call the shuttle" point is the wrong attitude for someone who wants to be mentor to have, and you'll need to let it go if you do reapply.
My first thought would've been a "yes" since I don't recall any bad interactions with you, but after reading your application and the rest of these comments I feel I gotta say "no".

To be honest, I don't care much about people applying having a great deal of knowledge about the game or goonstation in particular. There are enough mentors around already to answer questions and if an applicant was accepted, then they will probably play long enough afterwards to be able to know enough to answer mentorhelps.

All that "Help the community nonsense" that everyone says in these apps always sounds really insincere to me, but maybe I'm just a cynic. I feel like being a Mentor here mostly means that you will play in good faith (play to make everyone have fun, most of the time) and you're not going to be an asshole for no reason(That's not to say that you can't yell at people for turning you into a lizard-man or beat someone up for stealing your PDA). But that's pretty general and most people do that anyway.

Other than that I think the most important part of being a Mentor is being accommodating to new players. And that's really the crux of the issue for me. I don't want to say that it's something you have or don't, but this game is intimidating enough without nerds yelling at you and beating you up for not being enough of a nerd to know everything about this game yet. And if you have a problem with people being incompetent on goon2 and one of your first instincts isn't to help them learn then I don't really know why you'd want to be a Mentor at all.
Aside from what everyone else has said, I'd like to point out your bans section, which is still quite recent as of June 20th, 2018.

"Banned for a day on the RP server several times for not following the RP Rules"

A mentor not following the rules enough times to get banned? Even for a day. What would that tell new folks, if they saw mentors blatantly ignoring rules SEVERAL TIMES.

I'm going to say no.
(07-11-2018, 03:41 PM)awfulworldkid Wrote: I used to be a mentor a long time ago, and though I did get removed as a mentor for being a big jerk to new people (I maintain that some of them deserved it, especially the captain that removed access on his own ID to go be a roboticist and made it entirely harder than it should have been to call the shuttle), I like to think that I've improved significantly over the last year or so.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that it's been so long since the incident you're referring to that you don't remember it well anymore.  I'm going to remind you how it went, in the hopes that you can understand that you are very wrong about it being deserved.

Here is the log:
Quote:Johann Faust: rest is piss
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): ;FFFFFFFFFFUCK
Stuart Certaint: ded
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): goddamn blob
Johann Faust: The best part is you didn't check my backpack
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): trapped me in a corner
Johann Faust: I had a laser rifle
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): Don't give a fuck.
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): Never gave a fuck in the first place
Tommy Tomkinson: sounds like a salty ironmonger
Johann Faust: hug it out my man
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): A bit
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): Mostly because the captain is a shitlord of the highest caliber
Johann Faust: He wasn't the captain though
Johann Faust: He is a roboticst
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): Unrobust AND stupider than a brick, not a good combo
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): He WAS THE CAPTAIN
Johann Faust: Oh, he changed his ID to roboticist
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): I know this because he had the gold ID.
Johann Faust: lol why
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): He changed his ID to roboticist and lost all of his extra access.
Austin Feufer: he was new dude
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): Because he's an asshole.
Austin Feufer: cool your fuckin jets
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): And now the only two allaccess IDs on the station are on one square in the blob
Johann Faust: He also is mindslaved so give him a pass in that regard at least
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): what the ACTUAL HELL
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): Who and how long ago?
Johann Faust: I did like 30? minutes ago
Johann Faust: I guess way longer ago
Johann Faust: long round
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): Deluxe mindslave implant or mindslave implant?
Johann Faust: I guess just normal, was out of a surpluss
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): Regular wears off in no more than 30 minutes
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): So if he was he isn't now
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): At least the round is going to end in nine minutes and jack shit can be done to prevent it
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): I even stole his hat and he was too unrobust to do shit about it
Johann Faust: Yeah, I accidently hit him with my dna syringe instead of my mindslave
Johann Faust: had time to put it in my backpack and grab the right thing
Johann Faust: while he unloaded 3 stun guns at me
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): whered his backpack go
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): and did ANY of those stun shots hit?
Johann Faust: nope
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): that is impressively bad
Johann Faust: to be fair I have had a LOT of practice robusting lol
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): how far away were you?
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): did you move at all?
Johann Faust: point blank basically
Johann Faust: and yes
Johann Faust: we were in the hallway just outside medbay
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): didn't know you COULD miss pointblank
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): he must be really bad at leading the target
Johann Faust: if you click the floor
Johann Faust: and I was running all over
Austin Feufer: like i said
Austin Feufer: hes new
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): like, in circles or in straight lines?
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): If he's new he's an idiot for picking Captain this new
Johann Faust: he probably is new enough he doesn't know to make captain low priority
Jillian White: MIght have been random. My first game, I wound up getting randomed to captain.
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): You can tell it's a newb captain round or a really really old captain round if the name is boring an hour in
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): Which it is
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): Next round imma captain up and show this dude how captaining is done
Austin Feufer: you sound salty chance
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): Mostly by making the lewdest station name possible
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): I'm a bit salty cause this guy is SUCH a shit cap
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): He's been terrible for at least the last hour
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): With no signs of even TRYING to improve
Johann Faust: dude you don't even know how long he has been playing
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): Notably, he hasn't mentorhelped ONCE in the last 8 or so hours
Johann Faust: this could be literally his first game
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): nah
Johann Faust: and he did mentorhelp
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): he was robototraitor last round
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): Oh right he mentorhelped about path
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): When he lied about following the wiki guide
Austin Feufer: oh come now
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): hi dead rob
Rob Oson: Hi
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): I was grumping about how much you suck at everything
Johann Faust: He was p salty
Rob Oson: Yeah
Rob Oson: Well I'm new, sue me
Johann Faust: You did a good job smacking people for me though smile
Rob Oson: Also, mind slave
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): protip: MENTORHELP THE THINGS YOU ACTUALLY NEED TO KNOW
Rob Oson: Dude
Rob Oson: Protip
Rob Oson: DOnt be a jerk
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): AND NOT THE SHIT THAT YOU DON'T KNOW BECAUSE YOU CAN'T FUCKING READ
Johann Faust: hes got you there man
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): too late for that man
Rob Oson: Seriously
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): you have officially exhausted my ignorance tolerance
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): this is way past noob
Rob Oson: What did I even do to you?
Johann Faust: dude maybe go take a break
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): this is even past willful stupidity
Stuart Certaint: its just a computer game dont cry chance
Johann Faust: like dang
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): this is a new and revolutionary form of being unintelligent
Rob Oson: Not sure what I did to you
Austin Feufer: chance shut the fuck up
Rob Oson: But no need to be so toxic

Saying "they deserved it!" is about as far from showing a change in attitude as you can get, regardless of how it actually went down.  Mentors are intended to help people who are new, and to do that you have to have at least some compassion for those who are such, and the mistakes they're likely to make.  Berating someone for not knowing all the basics, or not using mentorhelp when you think they should, is unacceptable.  If someone had acted this way to you when you started out, someone who was given mentor, would you want to keep playing?

From this application, I don't see an understanding of why you were dementored in the first place.  My vote is no.
Ive seen you around and you are robust, but I also regularly also think to myself "Why is this guys attitude so bad?" sometimes with other expletives put in, including using other words than "guy". Its cool-ish to come on and play the game how you want within the rules, but I dont think Ive seen you provide enough constructive advice to get a yes.

No from me.

Sorry to doublepost, but as a relative example, a couple of months ago I was playing as AI and got into an argument with you over the radio as you were trying to order me to commit suicide while I was on default laws. After respectfully declining, and trying to point out why I couldnt do that, the "conversation" went on for another 5-10 minutes while you declared me rogue to the crew. After multiple crew members stepped in to explain why that wasnt necessary, I think you gave up. 

Not quite mentor material there.
(07-12-2018, 04:07 AM)Haine Wrote: Here is the log:
Quote:Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): Notably, he hasn't mentorhelped ONCE in the last 8 or so hours

Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): protip: MENTORHELP THE THINGS YOU ACTUALLY NEED TO KNOW
Rob Oson: Protip
Rob Oson: DOnt be a jerk
Chance Ironmonger (Awfulworldkid): AND NOT THE SHIT THAT YOU DON'T KNOW BECAUSE YOU CAN'T FUCKING READ

Talking about anything that goes on in mentorhelp whether it be in deadchat or OOC in an active round is untrustworthy to say the least. And this is pretty much how you acted toward new players in any round that I've seen you in as mentor.