Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Taping Photos to Security Cameras
A picture from a camera + tape used on a security/AI camera should be able to do two things.

Spoofing - If the photo is taken of the camera tile from the camera tile it should be usable to show the AI/Sec a static image of the area instead of a live feed allowing for nefarious and fun things to happen without being as obvious as a dead camera.

Fun - blending that idea with the current ability to show a camera a note you should be able to tape on a photo, making the enlarged photo the only thing the camera can see.

In both cases the photo should peel off the tape and fall to the floor after a few minutes.
sounds ok 2 me although may bring certain complexities, has there been much change to how film cameras work? would it just cause the security cam to freeze its image? wouldnt that result in you giving yourself away, as youd have to be within photo-taking range of it, and thus be featured in the frozen image?
What if a photo of a person taped to a camera acted as a second instance of that person showing up on the AI camera tracking?

It could be a cheap delaying tactic in keeping the AI off your back
So this particularly unrealistic movie-gimmick isn't very well suited for SS13.

Photo's in SS13 aren't full screen-grabs of the game-view; it's just 2 sprites on a white square sprite.
So the idea of fun snap-shots in place of a view is right out.

The current implementation of camera's basically shifts your game-view on that camera's location; the camera's sprite is cosmetic.
This means that, rather then being able to apply some static image (since such an image isn't available in-game), an extensive filter would need to be made, that changes your view to not include Player characters. And NPC robots. And pets. And also recently added devices. But not already existing devices.

With all that in mind, spotting that a camera was "photo'd" is pretty easy for a human player. And the ability to disable camera's without stealth already exists; you can screw-driver a camera to disable it.
(07-10-2018, 09:12 AM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote: And the ability to disable camera's without stealth already exists; you can screw-driver a camera to disable it.

Wirecutters, actually
(07-10-2018, 09:12 AM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote: Photo's in SS13 aren't full screen-grabs of the game-view; it's just 2 sprites on a white square sprite.
So the idea of fun snap-shots in place of a view is right out.

hmm. yeah, even the improved cameras ive seen on other servers just give a 3x3 photo that also wouldnt fool anyone
Doing it with photos sounds real funny, but as others said, it doesn't really make sense when photos are so small.

I like the idea of spoofing cameras though. So maybe you could hack cameras to do different things. Like show a static image that way, or show hull breaches, or other nonsense.
(07-09-2018, 05:50 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: What if a photo of a person  taped to a camera acted as a second instance of that person showing up on the AI camera tracking?

It could be a cheap delaying tactic in keeping the AI off your back
I want this just so I can take a picture of a butt and then use it to annoy the Ai.
(07-10-2018, 08:16 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: I want this just so I can take a picture of a butt and then use it to annoy the Ai.

Well you can already write the word butt on a piece of paper and slap it against an AI camera
(07-10-2018, 09:41 PM)KikiMofo Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 08:16 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: I want this just so I can take a picture of a butt and then use it to annoy the Ai.

Well you can already write the word butt on a piece of paper and slap it against an AI camera

Just write *This appears to be insert your name's butt.  Gross.* on a piece of paper and slap away.
Yeah, I know it isn't how camers work but I wanted to give cameras more uses.

I still like the idea of being able to tape an image up to the camera to mess with the AI though - even if it is just a one tile image. I also like Frank Stein's idea for it to mess with AI tracking a lot.
(07-10-2018, 07:45 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(07-09-2018, 05:50 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: What if a photo of a person  taped to a camera acted as a second instance of that person showing up on the AI camera tracking?
Hmmmm.... I donno....
(07-10-2018, 10:17 PM)Erev Wrote: I also like Frank Stein's idea for it to mess with AI tracking a lot.
Don't know who this 'Frank_Stein' is, but he has good ideas!

Can you ask him his opinion on: what should happen if the insurgent has his camshot on multiple cameras? Would it sufice to only move to the most recently placed photo?
forget stealth, a camera with a photo taped to it should just show a full-screen stretched-out photo, as-is.
-Take a picture of a butt, or something spooky, or something gross
-Tape it to a camera
-Anyone upon switching to that camera gets a startling 16-tile-wide butt covering the entire playfield
(07-11-2018, 03:04 AM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 07:45 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
Hmmmm.... I donno....
(07-10-2018, 10:17 PM)Erev Wrote: I also like Frank Stein's idea for it to mess with AI tracking a lot.
Don't know who this 'Frank_Stein' is, but he has good ideas!

Can you ask him his opinion on: what should happen if the insurgent has his camshot on multiple cameras? Would it sufice to only move to the most recently placed photo?

I'd just make each photo be listed as one person, so hanging up 20 pictures of you makes it look like there's 20 of you when the AI searches for you by name