Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biological chemistry
(07-12-2018, 12:44 AM)kyle2143 Wrote: - Spleen and Appendix:

AFAIK the appendix stores "backup" gut bacteria that can be used if the bacteria in the digestive system dies off

IIRC the spleen is part of the immune system, kinda like a kidney that filters out disease and stuff (PROBABLY very wrong on the spleen)

not sure if there's really a way to add either of these as they don't play roles that translate well to ss13
maybe appendicitis could be added as a random event diseases and require the removal of the appendix to fix
(07-13-2018, 02:43 PM)Wraithcraft Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 12:44 AM)kyle2143 Wrote: - Spleen and Appendix:

AFAIK the appendix stores "backup" gut bacteria that can be used if the bacteria in the digestive system dies off

IIRC the spleen is part of the immune system, kinda like a kidney that filters out disease and stuff (PROBABLY very wrong on the spleen)

not sure if there's really a way to add either of these as they don't play roles that translate well to ss13
maybe appendicitis could be added as a random event diseases and require the removal of the appendix to fix

The spleen also helps build and retire red blood cells. A damaged spleen could reduce blood regeneration and make yourself more vulnerable to pathology.

And a broken appendix could make food not work so good.
That spleen thing with the blood regeneration and disease stuff sounds good.

But I don't know about appendixes . Aren't they normally removed with an appendectomy due to appendicitis (I like that idea for a minor random event) and the patient wouldn't suffer any ill effects from it? I was thinking I'd just add them in and have a procedure to remove them. Maybe someone will finally make artifact organs or have a fun idea for a cyborg appendix that provides an actual function and then there would be a use for an appendix.
I think that we tend to go for magical realism in SS13 and additional organs should be tuned to that effect.

Liver damage reduces your metabolism rate.

Kidney damage causes tox damage over time. If motives are on, pee accumulates more slowly.

Pancreas produces insulin when your body contains sugar. Insulin neutralizes sugar. If it’s damaged, you need insulin autoinjectors (available from medbay or those medical vendors).

Medbay would be able to replace all of these with cyber or monkey organs!

Spleen reduces how fast your blood volume recovers. If damaged, you can bleed internally until you explode in a shower of gibs and blood. Or run out of blood.

No stomach, no digestion. No food bonuses. If motives are on, eating does not reduce hunger but medbay would be able to give you IV bags that reduce hunger. Also, you can’t make poo.
(07-13-2018, 05:42 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: That spleen thing with the blood regeneration and disease stuff sounds good.

But I don't know about appendixes . Aren't they normally removed with an appendectomy due to appendicitis (I like that idea for a minor random event) and the patient wouldn't suffer any ill effects from it? I was thinking I'd just add them in and have a procedure to remove them. Maybe someone will finally make artifact organs or have a fun idea for a cyborg appendix that provides an actual function and then there would be a use for an appendix.

appendixes are really darn close to being a vestigial organ. the bacteria thing was only found out pretty recently. before that, it was only notable for swelling up and trying to kill you sometimes. 

a cyborg appendix would probably be useless in that case
This is a cyberappendix.
What does it do? Nobody knows, not even roboticists. But there’s a slot in the torso where they fit perfectly.
Wink 
Be careful with products extracted from another organism, it may contain prions!
Yes, let us get a cyber spleen or extended lungs
(08-09-2018, 05:47 PM)Wisecrack34 Wrote:  extended lungs

https://goo.gl/images/gCGWjV
(08-11-2018, 10:18 PM)Wraithcraft Wrote:
(08-09-2018, 05:47 PM)Wisecrack34 Wrote:  extended lungs

https://goo.gl/images/gCGWjV
Screaming with lung extensions rocks the very station to its core, and may shack a few things loose. Be careful!