Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biological chemistry
I was thinking about how when, in game, if you eat a lot of sugar you can overdose and knock yourself out. Then it got me thinking about how the human body produces insulin in response to sugar as a way to break it down, and I wondered: What if that happened more often in this game?

What if players characters produced certain chems within their own bodies in response the presence of certain chems or even external stimuli?

Some ideas:

• Insulin in response to the presence of sugar. Over time, this response is weakened resulting in the development of diabetes
  • Bad chems that build up with repeated exposure to certain harmful elements. For instance, cancer cells from exposure to radiation.
  • Adrenalin from physical combat. Being in prolonged combat can actually give you a boost for fight or flight response
  • Adrenochrome: A rare drug made from extracting adrenalin from a player's blood.
Following this thread, this is good thread.

What if in the presence of pathogen, the body had a small chance per tick to form antibodies that could be extracted to innoculate uninfected people ? Use quarrantined patient-zero to save the station.
I really, really like the idea, but I imagine that it might be a very CPU intensive process for all of these checks.
general idea is quite interesting but idk how keen i'd be on adding the Big C to my farty spaceman game, same sort of problem i have with space aids etc.
(07-09-2018, 09:00 AM)Recusor Wrote: I really, really like the idea, but I imagine that it might be a very CPU intensive process for all of these checks.

Not particularly, assuming that we stuck to things like insulin and adrenaline. Cancer cells might be problematic since, to properly model cancerous behavior, we'd need to check for a random mutation for all humans on every life tick.

(07-09-2018, 09:03 AM)cyberTripping Wrote: general idea is quite interesting but idk how keen i'd be on adding the Big C to my farty spaceman game, same sort of problem i have with space aids etc.

Personally, I'm all for having to use surgery to remove tumors, but, uh, maybe just not *cancerous* tumors.
(07-10-2018, 11:48 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(07-09-2018, 09:03 AM)cyberTripping Wrote: general idea is quite interesting but idk how keen i'd be on adding the Big C to my farty spaceman game, same sort of problem i have with space aids etc.

Personally, I'm all for having to use surgery to remove tumors, but, uh, maybe just not *cancerous* tumors.

Patient contains 14 kidneys. 
Recommended treatment: excision and radiotherapy
Oh yeah, it doesn't have to be anything real and scary. That was more just the idea of a chem that builds up and doesn't go away easily.
Inb4 chem hosts hobo fights to get pure extracted adrenaline from patients.
I like this idea. I was thinking about making a patch that would add in the currently existing, but unused organs like lungs/pancreas/liver. The pancreas would be perfect for your insulin idea. Bad chems should damage your liver/kidneys, which could fail and need replacements. I like the Adrenochrome idea just looked it up and sounds funny for this space game, but I don't know about creating adrenaline naturally. It already exists in the game as epinepherine, so you'd have to make sure you can't just inject someone with epi and then draw their blood.
What about a fatigue reagent generated on knockout/low stamina that you can use to make people lethargic.

This might be a terrible idea.
(07-11-2018, 01:32 PM)atomic1fire Wrote: What about a fatigue reagent generated on knockout/low stamina that you can use to make people lethargic.

This might be a terrible idea.

Lactic Acid yes please
(07-11-2018, 12:45 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: I like this idea. I was thinking about making a patch that would add in the currently existing, but unused organs like lungs/pancreas/liver. The pancreas would be perfect for your insulin idea. Bad chems should damage your liver/kidneys, which could fail and need replacements. I like the Adrenochrome idea just looked it up and sounds funny for this space game, but I don't know about creating adrenaline naturally. It already exists in the game as epinepherine, so you'd have to make sure you can't just inject someone with epi and then draw their blood.

Hrm hrm. That actually would be a great way to handle organs: Each one acts as a beneficial chem generator, and the health of them determines how effective they work
(07-11-2018, 02:33 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 12:45 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: I like this idea. I was thinking about making a patch that would add in the currently existing, but unused organs like lungs/pancreas/liver. The pancreas would be perfect for your insulin idea. Bad chems should damage your liver/kidneys, which could fail and need replacements. I like the Adrenochrome idea just looked it up and sounds funny for this space game, but I don't know about creating adrenaline naturally. It already exists in the game as epinepherine, so you'd have to make sure you can't just inject someone with epi and then draw their blood.

Hrm hrm. That actually would be a great way to handle organs: Each one acts as a beneficial chem generator, and the health of them determines how effective they work

Would make more sense for livers to affect depletion rates, wouldn't it?
Yeah, and absorbing nasty chems or drinking to excess would damage your liver. Fortunately we have advanced medical science so you can go get another one.
(07-11-2018, 10:38 PM)cyberTripping Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 02:33 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:

Would make more sense for livers to affect depletion rates, wouldn't it?

I might as well flesh out what I was planning here. My main idea was this:

- add functions for these organs: lungs(r/l), kidneys(r/l), liver, pancreas, stomach, intestines, spleen, appendix.

- Lungs: You can have 2 lungs max, losing 1 lung makes you lose 80 stamina from your stamina cap. Losing 2 lungs makes you lose 160, probably you'll go into shock or cardiac arrest if this happens... Also, you'll probably get you a chance for losebreath damage every couple onLife tics, double the chance for 2 lungs missing.

- Kidneys: They will take damage based on the amount of tox damage you take. At a much lower rate, say if you take 100 Tox damage, then each kidney will have like a 50% chance to take 5-10 damage (more if you don't have a liver). Missing a single kidney won't impair you in any way except that it will have a 100% chance to take that damage(or maybe like 90%). If you lose both Kidneys, or they "die" from too low health, you'll take slow Tox damage. Think the Blood Toxification mutation from genetic, and reagents will deplete slower in your body(hopefully).

- Liver: Will take more of the load of Tox damage. If you don't have a liver your blood will get more and more toxic, reagent's won't deplete much at all if you don't have any working Kidneys either. Damaging reagents do damage to this organ similar to kidneys, but I'm thinking livers will be more resilient, taking less damage or gaining health back over time. 

- No Stomach means no digestion. Taking eating food will not work. It will just sit in your stomach and won't break down. (This might not be feasible to do for me, I haven't looked into it, but hopefully this will work)

- Pancreas: As I said before, I think its main function will be secreting insulin if you have sugar in your blood stream. Maybe a "Fun" trait could be to have Diabetes and it would prevent your liver from working properly.

- Intestines: These are pretty similar to the Stomach in my amateur opinion so the only function I was thinking for this would be it would prevent any beneficial reagents taken orally from helping you. How you might lose a stomach, I don't know maybe if you take acetaminophen or ibuprofen (do these exist?) with Alchohol too much. Probably not.

- Spleen and Appendix: Honestly I have no idea what either of these organs do. And if they do anything, would they lend themselves to this space game? I only included them in my list because they already existed as objects in the code and someone made sprites for them.

Organs could also have a chance to take some damage if significant damage is done to the chest area. Maybe...

I had it in my head that getting treated with standard medicine like charcoal for tox damage or syptic powder wouldn't heal organs. Synthflesh would be fine for healing some of them. But I didn't want surgery to be the only option for curing this damage, I was thinking about making a new class of chems that can heal specific organ groups. Like one chem that can heal Heart/lungs, one to heal Kidneys/liver/pancreas, and one to heal stomach/intestines/whatever.

So the damage I'm thinking will cause new diseases for the Health Analyzer to pick up. Like "Disease: Lung damage" or "Renal/Liver Failure: treat with [new drug/omnizine] or surgery"

I don't want these changes to be an annoying thing that will screw you up in the middle of your run as a traitor trying to turn every crew member into monkeys or something, but to add another layer of complexity to surgery/medicine. Since surgery is mostly used for elective surgery or heart replacement for the daring. These surgery's will be more low stakes, but failure to treat the issue could cause your to die after several minutes.