Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Non-lethal ling stings for RP1.
An issue with changelings as regards RP1 that has often been brought up is the lethality of most of its abilities. One of the most offensive of these is the neurotoxin sting, which will not only knock the victim thoroughly unconscious, but also deal 50 toxin damage and significant brain damage. Because of this, it's significantly damaging to the victim even if the changeling doesn't absorb them, which limits its use for any non-violent scenarios.

I'd like to propose a change which I hope will make the sting more versatile for general RP purposes: instead of 50u of neurotoxin, let it inject capulettium - 10-20u, perhaps. That amount of capulettium is enough to knock people out for the ling to absorb them if desired, but also little enough not to keep them out of the round for an extended period. It's also totally non-lethal and has the side affect of making people appear like they've just dropped dead, only to rise up a moment later.

Of course, I'd say this is a change best kept to RP1 if possible, because it does have the side effect of changing the balance of changelings. Capulettium works faster and has different counters. Still, that should be fine on RP1.
why not just add it as a separate kind of sting ?
intertwine their cooldowns so you can't use em both at once - or don't, so you can??
capulettium is a bit less stealthy because of the conspicuous death message so it might be better not to use it if you can avoid it ???
I hate playing Ling and know fuckall about how to ling good ????
Yeah makes sense to me. The knockout effect of neuro is what most lings want from that sting, so I don't see a reason it also needs to poison you.

We could just add poison to the other sting that makes you trip, since that one seems to be more designed for dehabilitating someone
(06-27-2018, 08:47 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: why not just add it as a separate kind of sting ?
intertwine their cooldowns so you can't use em both at once - or don't, so you can??
 Fair point. I can see it working as a separate sting, but the problem with giving two stings but not intertwining them is it suddenly makes the usual counter to the ling much less effective: groups. If the ling can disable two people at once, then it would suddenly become rather harder to kill. An intertwined cooldown here would probably be fine, if we do want to go the "two sting" route.
Quote:capulettium is a bit less stealthy because of the conspicuous death message so it might be better not to use it if you can avoid it ???
 Honestly, I don't think the sting as it stands is much less stealthy, since the drooling and fainting it causes are very visible.
 The main reason I suggest capulettium as opposed to any other knockout chem is because it allows us to preserve an interesting way to counter stings: mix the drug with something to make a less bad drug. We can do this with the neurotoxin sting already by turning it into unstable mutagen, and capulettium can be turned into capulettium plus - not only less bad, but very interesting in that it prevents you from speaking.
Really really good points, i'm all the way on board now thank you.
Id be all for making lings use capulettium, RP or not
Or maybe, give the ling the ability to "suck up" reagents into a seperate stinger so that any reagent they can get a hold of can be used.
(07-03-2018, 02:56 AM)EristheSlackWyrm Wrote: Or maybe, give the ling the ability to "suck up" reagents into a seperate stinger so that any reagent they can get a hold of can be used.

I would sting every single one of you with bees...then later do rounds with charcoal stings.
BEEEESS
(07-03-2018, 08:42 AM)Eibel Wrote:
(07-03-2018, 02:56 AM)EristheSlackWyrm Wrote: Or maybe, give the ling the ability to "suck up" reagents into a seperate stinger so that any reagent they can get a hold of can be used.

I would sting every single one of you with bees...then later do rounds with charcoal stings.
BEEEESS

+1 to beeeees ('u'[[[)>

The charcoal one would also show a while new gimmick this sting could give - a doctoring ling who uses their sting for good, like drinking up some saline glucose/epinephrine or whatnot sort of mix. I like the idea.
Or carrying around stuff to help themselves when in danger
Custom stings are a bad idea, because you know that on Goon2, people would treat it like a sleepypen, and make instant-death mixes, which would be super un-fun.
Maybe have it only carry a highly limited amount, take a bit to kick in and reject certain insta death chemicals because your body cant store them safely