Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
Drink Umbrellas as Hats
We should be able to wear drink umbrellas in our hair, like flowers or something.
Sprite it. Maybe some flowers too since you brought it up.
I have zero art skills. :|
(06-24-2018, 06:49 PM)LuigiThirty Wrote: I have zero art skills. :|

"Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something."

People in this forum and wherever have said that that having a sprite for your idea goes a long way to getting it actually implemented. That is 100% true; adding a new item on the head slot for this sort of item is trivial. But the real effort in a post like this comes from the idea/sprite. You're halfway there basically.

It seems daunting if you haven't done it before, but most things do, and once you do them they seem far easier than you'd expect. Just download dreammaker from byond.com, download the goonstation source and open it up dreammaker. Two downloads and you're already well on your way to getting this going. Another thing to remember concerning "art", is this: "good artists create, great artists steal". You don't have to create it from scratch in a blank paint or dmi file, search google. 

I like the idea enough to make a patch for umbrellas or flowers/whatever if I had a sprite for it made up for me. Its simple programmatically, it adds something creative and fun, and I didn't even have to think up the idea. In fact, if you make a sprite, I will definitely make a patch for this if you want.
[Image: lTVplZ8.png]
[Image: vUvRfwR.png]

I tried my hand at spriting a drink umbrella hat. I'd like to say I'm not that good at pixel art; there're many, many things I do not know to do yet, but I'm glad still gave it a try. Also,if someone more talented put up a better version, I wouldn't mind at all. Anyways, clearly shown, I went through quite a few iterations and variations, experimenting with several shapes, perspectives, and sizes.

The reference pictures I looked at had cocktail umbrellas at all sorts of angles; some were a bit oblique, some were directly upward, some were directly horizontal like a bow or pencil, all of which I tried to emulate in the first row and half. In the end, I decided on a sort of 45 degree angle. It seemed very "spacemeny" to put an umbrella on your head all silly like that.

SS13 has a funny scale (stickers, for example, can cover up your face, but in real life, they're obviously not so large), but I was more worried about making it size up as I would expect a air umbrella to. Some versions were too big at 32 x 32 icon size; many were too small for my tastes. I went with a happy medium; umbrella neither too big nor too small, pole wasn't too long, and it looked fairly okay when I tested it with my library of screenshots.

(06-24-2018, 07:29 PM)kyle2143 Wrote:
(06-24-2018, 06:49 PM)LuigiThirty Wrote: ...

I'd also like to add that the very talented Gannets has made a whole Discord channel precisely for teaching and helping people who are completely new to spriting (as well as those far beyond completely new). Link is here.

Attached Files
.dmi   hairumbrella.dmi (Size: 250 bytes / Downloads: 208)
So perhaps I shouldn't have promised I'd add this before I looked at the code. This is a good deal harder than I thought; for starters, there are at least 3 different types of umbrella objects for drinks and a lot of re-colors. The main issue though is that apparently in order to wear an item in the head slot, it has to extend obj/item/clothing/head or something. And the current umbrella objects do not, and changing it to that would break or require some ugly rewrites to its current code.

Having said that, creating a new wearable flower object might be a more reasonable change to make since it can be specifically made to be worn.
(06-30-2018, 01:15 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: So perhaps I shouldn't have promised I'd add this before I looked at the code. This is a good deal harder than I thought; for starters, there are at least 3 different types of umbrella objects for drinks and a lot of re-colors. The main issue though is that apparently in order to wear an item in the head slot, it has to extend obj/item/clothing/head or something. And the current umbrella objects do not, and changing it to that would break or require some ugly rewrites to its current code.

Having said that, creating a new wearable flower object might be a more reasonable change to make since it can be specifically made to be worn.

I haven't messed with BYOND in ages, does it not have multiple inheritance?
As far as I know it does not. Without it I could get the functionality described there to work for the umbrella for drinks/wearing, but it would be too messy.
This has been sprited.