Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Post-Wizless RP: Let's have a Scary-Antag Role Whitelist
EDIT: This thread was a "Remove Wizard from RP" one, but we've chatted about it since and want to rethink it a touch!

Yeah, once or twice there's a good wizard round where funny things happen.

Most of the time, though, wizards are just really really good at taking people out of the round in a way they don't want to be. 
Being polymorphed is fun, sure, but it's also crippling and insta-death if you're hit by anything.
Cluwne is just ridiculously unfun for RP.
etc etc 

Just doesn't work IMO.
I agree with this. Good wizard rounds are few and far between on #1. Even though the good ones are fun, that doesn't make up for the slew of wizards that end rounds in under 30 minutes and polymorph/murder without roleplaying any of it.
Wizards don't have any abilities conducive to RP, so I'm going to agree with this.
Flourish has removed mixed from Intrigue, effectively removing wizard. RIP! We'll come back here shouting and crying if we miss it horribly, don't worry.
(06-12-2018, 06:04 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Wizards don't have any abilities conducive to RP, so I'm going to agree with this.

I mean, nor do conspirators and they're the best antag on #1 by far. Some of the most memorable rounds I've been in on #1 have been wizard rounds.

One round the wizard posed as a NanoTransen High Inspector and went around inspecting things, blowing up stuff he deemed not up to standard. Another they demanded all advanced technology be turned over and destroyed, threatening the crew with repercussions.

Essentially, this boils down to: people who get wizard abilities decide to go on rampages even though it's #1. Imagination, folks.
We were talking in discord about this -- and I'd like to suggest that since basically most traitor types get locked away from G1 due to a small amount of folks being giant assholes. Could we put the scarier traitor types that have potential to be roleplay but also can wreck face (nukies, wizard) behind a 'You have to be marked as at least an OK roleplayer' type of whitelist of some kind?
I'm totally on board with a Scary Whitelist as well!
(06-13-2018, 06:44 AM)Weavel Wrote: I'm totally on board with a Scary Whitelist as well!

+1

You must approve your good RP in a round with someone of officiality to even have a chance of getting accepted
I think a whitelist like this could work well. My only question, is how would we implement the whitelist? Voting? Admin judging? Forums applications?
Personally, I don't think a whitelist would be that great of an idea. While it opens up some more antag roles and possibilities for RP, it also opens up the question of who qualifies and who decides that.

If we make it a role you have to apply for and be voted on, either by players or admins, it becomes kinda complicated, because different people prefer different playstyles and have different ideas of fun. It's not just "this person is trustworthy and knows their stuff", like for a mentor application, but more so "this person knows how to roleplay well and can make things engaging for others". It becomes rather subjective, and there can also be personal biases or grudges. Of course this is true for any application, but I think it would be even more so here.

Though, if it's just something where you have to be simply "OK", I think that would work well. Because the qualifications aren't super high, it opens this up to more players, and the process can also be more informal. But even then, it disallows any players who are joining just to grief/powergame/disregard the RP/etc., which is probably one of the larger sources of unfun-ness.
Whitelists are the bane of all servers but I don't play on #1 so it would be up to all the RP nerds if they want to do that.
I don't understand, now that Wizards have been removed from goon1, what overpowered antags are left that you're suggesting we whitelist? I don't have a problem with whitelists as long as it's simple and the barrier to entry isn't very high, but I don't think there really are any scary antag roles that need it.
(06-13-2018, 04:20 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: I don't understand, now that Wizards have been removed from goon1, what overpowered antags are left that you're suggesting we whitelist? I don't have a problem with whitelists as long as it's simple and the barrier to entry isn't very high, but I don't think there really are any scary antag roles that need it.

Maybe wraith? Or vampire?
(06-13-2018, 04:20 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: I don't understand, now that Wizards have been removed from goon1, what overpowered antags are left that you're suggesting we whitelist? I don't have a problem with whitelists as long as it's simple and the barrier to entry isn't very high, but I don't think there really are any scary antag roles that need it.

I believe he's suggesting adding them back in with a whitelist.
The suggestion is to add them back with the simple caveat of "this person role-plays" when they've been antag, no big fancy anythings. We just have a decent amount of folks who come to g1 and treat it like g2, so we lose a lot of things because folks can't be trusted to role-play.