Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
RP: Please change the Motive system
Currently, motives are insta-lethal if you hit zero.

This leads to so many people (especially new players) just suddenly dropping dead. Your internal reagent tank filling up with ethanol also means you can't drink any water once you're too drunk, so you p. much die unless you get charcoal.

Instead of this, it'd be far better to have it do toxin damage, maybe ramping up the longer you stay at zero. Same effect, same things needed to fix it, just more time to do so.
I agree with this. Just last night I had a guy on me die this way, I didn't know that could happen.

Plus there is no way to determine the motive levels of other players other than asking them. No scanners I mean.
I learned one round that LSD stinging the same person twice would kill them due to motives.
(06-03-2018, 05:19 AM)Eibel Wrote: I learned one round that LSD stinging the same person twice would kill them due to motives.
Congrats! That's the first death by LSD OD I've ever heard of.
imo drugs draining your motives is a bad mechanic in general and should just be done away with.
(06-03-2018, 08:03 AM)Lord Birb Wrote: imo drugs draining your motives is a bad mechanic in general and should just be done away with.

Except maybe the bladder motive.

I think it's hilarious enough to keep.
ive died several times to the "sit around chugging gallons of water and still dehydrate from ethanol" problem back when i still played
Using the bathroom oughta clear out some space for more water
I don't think that was the issue.
For those dying while chugging water: it's very likely that it's because the water in your bloodstream has turned to ice (which doesn't reduce thirst). No, I have no idea why your body temperature cools to freezing/below freezing from drinking water.

The solution is a nice trip to the sauna, or drink something hot enough such that your average temperature is increased above 0C, melting all of the ice and thus hydrating you.

In terms of a fix (short of working out why water lowers your temperature so much), I could make ice partially sort your thirst motive (say, half as much as water). Not really going for realism here; if your body temperature was anything close to what spacemen regularly get to you would be very dead a lot more.
Motives: making spacemen even more fragile than actual real human beings!
Has the ice nerf thing been added?
(06-16-2018, 11:57 PM)cyberTripping Wrote: Has the ice nerf thing been added?

No, I haven't noticed ice decreasing your thirst. I think it should be added, though.
Just did the ice thing. Not a long-term fix, I know, but should solve some problems.
Reviving this thread because instantly dropping dead from your hunger or thirst hitting zero is a bad mechanic for RP. Maybe it could be changed like how Weavel initially suggested, with the slow toxin damage instead of insta-death?