Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wingsswmud
Admin name: wingsswmud
Server: Gibbed #3
Date/Time: 6/4/2013 around 12am
Synopsis: A brief synopsis of what happened, if it's going to be longer than brief then for god's sake please use paragraphs. No-one will read a wall of textIll show a picture
Log: If you have a log of messages/combat/whatever post it in code tags
Extra Information: Did the admin follow you to irc and then tell you you touch dicks, did he come to your house and fart on your dog? Any thing extra related to the incident goes here.

[Image: ss13_pt_1.jpg]

[Image: ss13_pt2.jpg]

Now I understood that what I said "nigga" and its racist, even though Im black, but the ban was kinda overboard. I know racism is against the rules, even though that word isnt racist, but from all the stuff these admins say, I figured it didnt matter. I forgot admins were above law on gibbed servers. But anyways as seen in the picture I said what I did, because I was going to rp as a Lil Wayne talkin security guard, and he told me not to the the ironic, casual rascim thing[Which I did not understand, because that doesnt make the least bit of sense to me]. So anyways I asked, "What if I just dont say nigga?" I figured itd be taken as smart mouth, so I added"Would that be acceptable?" Then I got banned with a reason of "out". Now it was only four hours, but was a ban even needed? And if it was, four hours seems way to much for that. I was just trying to understand what he meant, and play the game at once, but he banned me. Without even a good reason. Now if that isnt a reason for complaining, then I dont know what is. But it'd be nice if the admins were not so short tempered, and was not so quick to ban.
You got a four hour ban for having a seemingly annoying attitude after being warned to stop breaking the rule about casual racism. Anything less than a dayban isn't really supposed to be appealed anyways, and this reads more like a ban appeal anyways. Figuring that the rules don't matter is a pretty quick way to get yourself banned in general.

"but from all the stuff these admins say, I figured it didnt matter. I forgot admins were above law on gibbed servers."

We certainly say rude things to dumb people sometimes, but the rules about not being racist or sexually creepy apply to admins as well.
I never did get around to registering an account after we moved forums but I am here JUST FOR YOU. Hi. You wrote a novel, so I will write one back.

Quote:Now I understood that what I said "nigga" and its racist [...]

Quote:I know racism is against the rules, even though that word isnt racist[...]

Make your mind up.

Quote: even though Im black,

We are not personally interested in your race, sex or creed. Even if we were, we don't have cameras pointed at your face. You can take that lack of interest in a positive way or a negative way, I guess. Unfortunately for you, assuming you're being serious about it, one of the favourite pastimes of the bored suburban 12 year olds who make up the majority of this game's subhuman playerbase is hilarious wacky roleplaying as hilarious wacky racist caricatures of what some decrepit TV executive thought was the up-and-coming thing down in the bippety-bopping jive-turkeying ghetto in, I don't know, 1987, probably. We take a pretty iron-fisted approach to it and tend not to ask too many questions because, again, 12 year olds - negative attention is still attention, and that's all they're after. The consequent catch is that noone else gets to do it, because we have enough on our plate without starting up a programme of background checks to find out who is socially entitled to make a particular joke.

Quote: but the ban was kinda overboard [& etc]

Four hours is the metaphorical equivalent of a sparrow getting roasted by a satellite tracking radar around here, sorry. Usually you'd be permabanned and have to come here and explain in at least coherent detail why what you did was wrong, but I was busy so you got the 'go cool off and have a think' option. And yet, here we are...

Quote:But it'd be nice if the admins were not so short tempered, and was not so quick to ban.

While we're at it, I'd like a pony.

Leaving aside how bird-brained it is to suggest that we all need to mend our ways because one of us did something that you happened to dislike, short tempers and free-flowing bans have taken center stage for at least as long as I've been around (and I don't even like to think about how long that is), and will no doubt continue to do so because, again, 12 year olds. It is not a community that can be effectively managed to the satisfaction of a set of grown-ass adults (which, terrifyingly enough, is what we are) through asking nicely and being all sweetness and light all the time. We are all perfectly capable of having a pleasant, civil, polite etc conversation, but we have dealt with enough of the same bullshit from a whole range of different people that if you start off on the back foot the way you did you will tend to remain there.
Hey! Umm, yeah Im not twelve. But in the end your missing the point. You mistook how I admin helped it, then you was so quick to ban that I was confused. You're also ignoring the reason for my banning. I got the go cool off and think option like you wanted. I was cooling off, from being banned when I didn't know why, and I thought about the reason for me being banned. Also, forget what I said. In general, Itd be better if the admins were overall less moody. Whatever you say, theres like a good 100 people on other servers to prove that Goon station happens to have "jerkish" admins. Before I posted my complaints, I did browse around the forum, and saw the posts from the admins to see what I was going to go through also. The admins who have to be offensive, and say insults in there posts and replies. After reading Cogwerks reply I was cool with it, surprised he didn't say anything offensive. But you had to come and insult. Anyways, don't hold this complaint against me as I play the game. I'd appreciate not being cracked on for everything as I play.
Liafer Wrote:Hey! Umm, yeah Im not twelve. But in the end your missing the point.

I love this statement. I want to take it home and put it in a jar and just keep it forever.

Quote:You mistook how I admin helped it,

Can't see that I did, really. There are no exceptions to this:

Quote:No racism, anime, anime smilies, furries, memes, whining, spamming, advertising, or creepiness. Even "ironically" or "roleplaying" it. Memes from the internet will likely get you gibbed - "moar" "over 9000" "I can has toolbox" for example. Don't do it, even ironically. Racism and homophobic comments - “Dr. Kay is such an insufferable faggot” – will get you almost immediately banned, even if you are of ethnic origin or homosexual yourself.

It is clear that you knew exactly what you were doing wrong in the first place (else, why bring it up?) and so presumably had at least a faint idea of why what you were doing was wrong. In future, you may want to consider not doing things that you know are wrong in the first place.

Quote:then you was so quick to ban that I was confused.

Obviously.

Quote:You're also ignoring the reason for my banning.

That doesn't make any sense; since I was the one who banned you I can't have been ignoring it at the time, and I just took the time last night to explain why we do the things we do the way we do.

Quote: I got the go cool off and think option like you wanted. I was cooling off, from being banned when I didn't know why, and I thought about the reason for me being banned.

Great!

Quote: Whatever you say, theres like a good 100 people on other servers to prove that Goon station happens to have "jerkish" admins.

...oh.

A significant number of the people who play on other servers are people who we banned, often quite a long time ago, and a lot of the rest made their way to the game through external communities with their own dedicated servers. We are happy beyond words that the first group do not have anything to do with us, and the second group wouldn't have had anything to do with us anyway.

Broadly, we are pleased that a large number of people are playing SS13 and also pleased that we don't have to deal with half of them trying to cram themselves onto the same server at once.

(Also, it's usually more like 300, I think - someone was apparently astonished to find there were upwards of 400 people playing the game at one point last night)

Quote:Before I posted my complaints, I did browse around the forum, and saw the posts from the admins to see what I was going to go through also.

Since I had literally never posted here before last night (having been away for a while when we switched forums, and not having needed to do so since getting back) you were wasting your time there.

Quote:Also, forget what I said. In general, Itd be better if the admins were overall less moody.

We are (mostly) not "moody". We are to a greater or lesser extent blunt with people because, yet again, 12 year olds. Many of the conversations we have with our playerbase are by necessity places where subtlety goes to die. If you're not capable of recognising the difference you are going to have significant problems in life, and also significant problems playing internet space games here.

Quote: After reading Cogwerks reply I was cool with it, surprised he didn't say anything offensive. But you had to come and insult.

Close inspection of my post would reveal that the only 'insult' directed at you was the suggestion that you're a bit of an idiot for generalising based on the actions of one person that you disliked. Which...you are.

Quote:Anyways, don't hold this complaint against me as I play the game. I'd appreciate not being cracked on for everything as I play.

I appreciate the suggestion that you are going to be hounded in-game for posting a complaint as the finishing piece for your post. I would suggest using a chocolate-covered cherry next time, but possibly you're attached to playing the victim enough that it would not seem attractive.
I don't care what race you are in real life, you aren't a spokesperson/representative for your whole race. You don't get to decide what is and isn't okay to say to everyone.