Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Age medicine
Really dumb idea but something I thought would be fun: Hippy medicine

Take psychedelic drugs to be able to see people's auras and target their chakras

Use crystals and gemstones dug up from mining to heal various damage types

Use herbs from botany to create incense to make cleansing smoke and dispel toxins from the air
Yes, but only Hydro people can make the stuff needed to do this.

They're just naturally tuned to nature man.
Fun idea, but regarding the healing aspect I would suggest adding a brand new damage type - Aura damage. your Aura health should do next to nothing except be a pretty colour around your character and maybe affect luck a little bit (like +- 0.005), and only visible to people who either have a certain trait or have ingested a certain amount of chemicals. While some drugs could give you temporary effects, either having a massive single dose, or multiple higher than normal doses could let you have the effect permanently.

The crystals should IMO ONLY heal or harm Aura damage, thus making anyone not able to see or be aware of auras think your fucking insane for rambling on about crystals smile
So building off of the idea of Auras and Aura Damage, I feel like aura health should never be visible to anyone in any form so objective as a number. Rather, it should be visible as hazy shit like the color, brightness, and/or texture of people's auras (if you can see them) and based on how your crystal reacts to that person (if you lack aura-vision, or want a closer read / second opinion)

Lots of extremely vague outputs  (eg. "The crystal seems to grow cloudier for a moment..."), in addition to more straightforward ones ("The crystal hums contentedly." probably indicates a healthier aura than if "The crystal rattles anxiously!", for example)

In addition to crystals and drugs, artifacts might be a neat way to enable aura-vision, whether as just a thing that enables it temporarily for anyone who touches it (or permanently but with a longer cooldown on the artifact), a handheld artifact  that "scans" for it, or just vanishing as soon as you touch it and permanently rendering your aura visible to everyone.

On the topic of other questionably useful new age medical practices, it's worth mentioning that the chemistry and atmospherics subsystems already fulfill one of the core assumptions of homeopathic medicine (that you can dilute a substance infinitely), so you can in fact dilute medicines down to 1*10^-8 units in ~50 units of water and use a chemmaster to make the solution into homeopathic medicine.

Or for atmospherics, try to convince the HoS that your homeopathic n2o canister (that's 99.998% breathable air) is a good way to calm angry mobs down.
Idea: Having good aura health let's you perform flashy moves that look cool but don't have much practical effect.

For instance, floating off the ground, having grass bloom around your feet, understanding the speech of monkeys, having mob take slightly longer to get hostile with you, etc
I like it
This will result in expedition teams bringing along hippie gurus to apply emergency aura healing in the field and smoking literal medical marijuana to fight yetis

Im in
bahahahaha this is amazing i love it
also it gives me something else to hawk to the crew as a salesman

i want to punch a dude in the chakras
There needs to be a way to hurt people's aura health without actually harming them, so I can insist to the crew that auras aren't real as AI while doing everything in my power to make it so.
The most obvious effect should be in the random emotes your spaceman does, so more smules and laughs with a good aura and frowns and sighs with bad

Also this ties directly into the solarium puzzle so I think this could really cheese some nerds off
I actually kind of like the idea so long as the auras do absolutely nothing. Or have such a specialized reaction that it might as well do nothing 99% of the time.

It would be funny if performing different actions changed your aura like healing people, harming people, laughing, doing drugs, getting injured, having addictions. And your aura "colour" would appear on the spectrum from one of those hexagonal character stat charts you see in some rpgs.. And round end stuff will show different auras that people got.

It could make end of round statistics funnier and more open ended than they are currently.
This is possibly the thread of the year and i'm calling it now.

Auras should be hurt by produce grown from seeds that have been spliced too much.
Also fluoride.
walking around barefoot should slowly regenerate it also.
Stupid, stupid idea incoming - Dying with a high negative aura value could slightly increase the chance of spawning as a wraith
Dying with a bad aura makes you less good at ghosting, good aura lets you do cool stuff
(06-06-2018, 11:54 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: walking around barefoot should slowly regenerate it also.
I love this one because of all the fun opportunities with glass