Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Blob could use a rework or an overhaul
on paper blob seems pretty fun and interesting however it does not account for a largely indifferent player base. by this i mean even on a server with 20+ players against 1 blob at most 3-4 people might try to fight it until they get eaten by it at which point it spreads across the station uncontested. at this point people would rather call the shuttle or just go about the round like normal until they die than deal with the blob. this problem occurs frequently on maps such as cog1 or clarion, which are smaller and more compact which allows them to win easier. this could be alleviated by weakening the blob on smaller maps (clarion, cog1)
Why are fire-resistant membranes completely immune to fire anyway?
I suppose fire resistant tiles could take small damage from fire instead of none, fair idea.

As for the original post: Um, blob is objectively easier on larger maps where you can hide and spread to an unmanageable size before anyone notices. Smaller maps are harder to tuck away in. I might agree with your post if it was completely the opposite.
you might agree with part of my post, is what i think you meant. player passivity towards antags is pretty high (this is reflected in the low amount of security and nukeop winrate) resulting in what i discussed in my original post. a small handful of people might attempt to fight the blob, they die, get eaten, blob spreads across the station in minutes and completely devours the shuttle in the span of however long it takes for the escape shuttle to dock with the station (usually about 5-6 minutes). people would rather just leave than deal with the blob or just accept their fate.

this is why most blob rounds end in about 15-20 minutes. and even if calling the shuttle was disabled the roundtime would be inflated due to the time needed for the tile # win condition to trigger. this is much harder to accomplish on much bigger maps as you have more ground to cover.
The thing about blob is, they're too vulnerable during the beginning and too strong during the end game.

Buffing their defensive capabilities in the beginning while nerfing their offensive stuff until mid to late game might help a lot
I agree with both sides, perhaps a better motivation to kill the blob instead of calling the shuttle (Blob nucleus drops a bunch of cool stuff?), along with some assistance in doing so would be nice (Limited amount of special tiles like fire resistant and pgoo throwers)
How about instead of making fire-resistant tiles no longer completely immune to fire, we keep their immunity but make them have the same health as normal tiles? Make it so blobs can't use them as discount thick membrane.
Id say make em slightly weaker, good for insulation but otherwise will probably be torn through like sharp cotton candy
What if, we made it cheaper/easier to get the defensive powers, while the offensive ones were more expensive?

This should probably include absorbing people, which is the number one killer of the first responders to the blob.

Maybe we could come up with an alternative ability? Something that traps them within the blob and keeps them alive much longer, giving the blob a steady supply of resources until they pass away or the rest of the crew is able to free them
(05-27-2018, 04:51 PM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: I agree with both sides, perhaps a better motivation to kill the blob instead of calling the shuttle (Blob nucleus drops a bunch of cool stuff?), along with some assistance in doing so would be nice (Limited amount of special tiles like fire resistant and pgoo throwers)

not much incentive to do anything when the blob dying means the round is over. maybe if there was a decent bonus to the amount of spacebux you get
I think a good idea would be to fix the problem would be to extend your time before exploding into a blob to around 25-30 minutes with the option to do so at any point in time after the 15 minute mark. That way you could at least get a full round in before shit goes wack
Something to note is that the station in general is probably less apathetic than it seems, but 90% of the people who would fight the blob do so by throwing themselves at it in the first 5-10 minutes. If they succeed the round promptly ends with a chorus of 'that was lame' and 'fuck blob rounds' while if they fail, the blob eats them and then expands twice as fast because it has a ton of DNA now and almost everyone  who would fight it is dead.
It doesn't help that the station has basically no way of winning a war of attrition since crew members and weapons don't grow on trees or anything.
(05-29-2018, 05:50 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: It doesn't help that the station has basically no way of winning a war of attrition since crew members and weapons don't grow on trees or anything.

Yeah, I'm starting to think the Blobs ability to absorb people early on is kind of problem
(05-29-2018, 05:52 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(05-29-2018, 05:50 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: It doesn't help that the station has basically no way of winning a war of attrition since crew members and weapons don't grow on trees or anything.

Yeah, I'm starting to think the Blobs ability to absorb people early on is kind of problem

As am I.