Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
"Oculon" an idea for map
So i made this map some time ago while learning mapping and recently updated it to be fully playable/functional version. Yes, new regular maps are not needed now but I thought it would be a waste if it got lost/forgotten since it does not look like total poo imo and who knows maybe someday it will get some attention. Feedback welcome, cheers.
[Image: Oculon.png]
I see so much additions and things that I cannot decide what the point of this map is.

What's the main path?
How does it funnel players to eachother?
How does it divide things correctly?

But my biggest thing is how much odd additions there are like the penguin cage or the big space artifact...
It's fuctional but I cannot see wheres what suppose to be.
To start off with, there are some bits I really like. The fact that theres a freakin PENGUIN EXHIBIT instead of an owlry is gr9, the fact that the kitchen and pool area are right next to escape means that instead of hanging out in some hallway the crew can still interact and do things.

Though, if I had any immediate critique it would be the mining magnet. You don't have a console right next to the magnet, and there's all that empty space between the station and the magnet. The rockbox is also relatively far away from the magnet. I'd suggest either rearranging things so there's not as long a trek, or fill in that gap with a few things while leaving room for that pod to go at things.

Genetics could stand to be a little closer to the cloner, since they're supposed to be responsible for it (on paper at least)

Also not sure if there should be a section for pathology. I feel like that bloats the already big station a bit, and only Donut 3 should realistically have a pathology department for remembrance's sake.

And for personal preference: I really would love a sink in that janitor's office instead of just a water tank. They're good for getting water, but if you need to empty your vacuum of miasma then you need to barge into other departments. I'd also like a general fabricator in the podbay, since unless I'm missing it there's not a publicly available one.
Here is a no pipe/cable version since those make a bit of a visual mess.
[Image: Oculon-pipeless.png]
Tbh the map looks great but what's the lore of the station
(06-11-2023, 05:01 AM)Thebutler Wrote: Tbh the map looks great but what's the lore of the station

Pretty much my thing. If I was gonna make a map. I got a design and lore in mind. (I need to be taught a little)

My design would be a modular deployment of stations similiar to we do with current space stations.
Where NT is trying to mass produce "Standard model stations" and adding section and section to it.
Or even trying to module system out to sell it to customers. "Buy your own NT branded station today! Look how safe it is!"
"Future modules being developed such as a luxury module!" (wich i would add as a "broken module part of the station as a joke")

Yours just seems "This is a colder region and wild west one"
(06-11-2023, 05:05 AM)Kotlol Wrote:
(06-11-2023, 05:01 AM)Thebutler Wrote: Tbh the map looks great but what's the lore of the station

Pretty much my thing. If I was gonna make a map. I got a design and lore in mind. (I need to be taught a little)

My design would be a modular deployment of stations similiar to we do with current space stations.
Where NT is trying to mass produce "Standard model stations" and adding section and section to it.
Or even trying to module system out to sell it to customers. "Buy your own NT branded station today! Look how safe it is!"
"Future modules being developed such as a luxury module!" (wich i would add as a "broken module part of the station as a joke")

Yours just seems "This is a colder region and wild west one"

Tbh I would love to see a map where it's kind of like a mobile military base and the main goal of the ship would be to provide military support to other stations
The map looks cozy. As for its lore, I don't think lore should be a condition that requires influence over the map. You can very well take any plain map as is and make up any kind of lore around it. Influence on the design that comes from lore is great, sure, but the most important consideration should be whether it's fun to play.

There is a clear main path going in a circle and passing through the bar, things seem to be properly divided.
Medbay is at a good location, with a checkpoint at the opposite end of the main path. Same for security.

Flavor wise, I love the little things everywhere, like the 4 booths for setting up custom shops. I'd put more stuff in maint, when it's 3 tiles wide like below the ranch. I'd also either make the crew quarters a bit more varied in their layouts, or maybe have a few rooms like that, plus a less personnal dormitory type room. The only general crew bathrooms and showers are the gym's and have no privacy. I don't know what exactly I would do, but I'd use a bit of the space all around arrivals to change that.

Overall very flavorful looking map.
Thanks everyone for feedback. I've made some changes accordingly plus some additions:
- slightly reworked arrival hall layout
- arrival shuttle was replaced with new arrivals type (arrival via teleport hub)
- small change to mining magnet equipment
- small changes here and there to maint/shower
new POI:
- return of Panopticrap
- uranium powered glowstick

Current look:
[Image: 2023-06-20_20.27.36.png]
I like the idea of new arrivals arriving to the station through teleportation it makes more sense tbh
Small fixes here and there but also:

New kitchen conveyor belt/water styled food delivery. One of those eastern styled old fashioned restaurant things. Food will simply loop when untouched and the ejector under black table will push food on the conveyor in position that the chef wants since you cannot interact with river prop frown
[Image: kitchen.PNG]

Added 2nd table to surgery room (also some ass had put defibrillator on top of NanoMed)
[Image: medbay.PNG]

And new POI for chapel and refinery.
[Image: chapel.PNG]

[Image: engineer.PNG]
Now we are starting to see flavoring and it looks guuuud
Map actually looks pretty nice, what if we had a map rotation, so people can add many more good regular maps without things getting crowded
This post will be constantly updated every month or so to keep the map up to date (any feedback is welcome).

Current look:
[Image: 2024-02-23_21.12.35.png?ex=66150e78&is=6...ba5369ec1&]

Swapped a rather useless ship into neat "Nuclear Joe's"
[Image: n_joe.PNG?ex=66150e77&is=66029977&hm=e85...6cb704b16&]

Also here is a map file for anyone who wants to run it (for ease of running it runs on cog2):
Map Download
version from 23.02.24 (updated from version 10.10.23)