Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
New Job: Resident Station Wizard
I thought of this idea from a round I had last night, where there was a wizard that was pretty effectively playing benign or chaotic-neutral wizard. And I thought it would be fun if there was a friendly wizard job who was not an antagonist, just a member of the crew with one or two minor(or weakened) wizard powers. Maybe he'd have a role similar to the Chaplain.

Not all wizards are evil after all, I think there is a wizard merchant who is fine doing business with the station. Maybe the wizard is a dissenter/refugee from the Wizard's Federation or he's a representative sent to live on board to help foster better relations. The antagonist wizard could still be sent, maybe from hard-liners in the Federation, and the Station Wizard could help combat him, or befriend him if he's being nice. 

Years ago when I played before I stopped for a while, I enjoyed playing benign wizard because it is too easy to win if you want to. But playing friendly wizard usually just lead to some narrow-minded or intolerant assistant or security officer knocking me out and beating me to unconsciousness/death assuming that I was evil. Having a wizard on board that people see could be helpful and kind could be good for dispelling some of those prejudices. 

There are already magic objects that can be created as far as I know, and it would be cool if we could see more magic/vs science.

I'll even make it if people don't consider this to be a terrible idea.
Isn't the chaplain's coming rework supposed to make him into a sort of divine magic man anyway?
Usually when I get wizard I try to be passive, do something fun like make a golem room for folks to fight/me to hide in, or make it my goal to get every head's locker and all of sec's and unlock them in the halls for the crew to loot.

Though, I do get the occasional comment or two that I'm creating a boring round because there's no one to fight technically. I think having an apprentice wizard on the station as a gimmick role would be interesting, but how would it balance? Most wizard spells are designed to ruin you.
(05-25-2018, 11:15 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Isn't the chaplain's coming rework supposed to make him into a sort of divine magic man anyway?

I forgot about that, but I think it's supposed to be a good deal different from wizards. Especially since chaplain magic won't be entirely antagonistic.

My idea mostly was about making a new standard role that was kind of RP and not supposed to be a complete gimmick, but it having a bit more backbone to it than just giving them access everywhere like the Regional Director or no access like Boxing Coach.

Also, I was wanted it to be an antag free role, or something.

(05-25-2018, 11:19 AM)Eibel Wrote: Usually when I get wizard I try to be passive, do something fun like make a golem room for folks to fight/me to hide in, or make it my goal to get every head's locker and all of sec's and unlock them in the halls for the crew to loot.

Though, I do get the occasional comment or two that I'm creating a boring round because there's no one to fight technically.   I think having an apprentice wizard on the station as a gimmick role would be interesting, but how would it balance? Most wizard spells are designed to ruin you.

I said in the post, but wasn't specific. I wanted the station wizard to only have 1 or two weak spells, maybe the option to learn another after a long time. 

Like he'd get a weak magic missile that only shoots one or 2 bolts and does 50 stamina damage, but no stun. Or a blink that won't let him pass through anything with density or go further than 3 tiles.
How about instead of blink he gets that dimensional warp ability Genetics can rarely get? It puts you in a pocket dimension where you can't be harmed but you can't harm anyone. Apprentice wizard could get a variant that stuns you when you leave or does light, randomized damage whenever you enter it. Curse of the cluwne should be replaced with regular clown clothing and a box filled with your old clothes being dropped on the floor.
(05-25-2018, 11:15 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Isn't the chaplain's coming rework supposed to make him into a sort of divine magic man anyway?

Wait, has progress on this rework gotten somewhere now?
The reason they use the word "coming" is because it's going to happen after Jesus's second coming
What if non-antag but fully powered wizards were just part of the ambassador pool?
(05-25-2018, 02:11 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: What if non-antag but fully powered wizards were just part of the ambassador pool?
I like that except for the fully powered bit. Operatives are like SEALs, SAS, or Spetsnaz; diplomats are like diplomats.
(05-25-2018, 02:11 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: What if non-antag but fully powered wizards were just part of the ambassador pool?

Fully powered with diplomacy spells. Summon stacks of treaties! Transfigure blades into pens! Conjure an embassy in the middle of the hallway!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(05-26-2018, 04:45 AM)Superlagg Wrote:

Fully powered with diplomacy spells. Summon stacks of treaties! Transfigure blades into pens! Conjure an embassy in the middle of the hallway!

"The pen is mightier than the blade, Urist McTraitor."
Dandralf the Dry traps Urist McTraitor in Bureaucracy Hell!