Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Forum Suggestion] Move the Sprites forum in Ideas & Suggestions to its own forum
As some of you might know I've recently started trying my hand at submitting patches for goonstation. And if you looked at one of those patches you would learn that I suck at making sprites. Partly because of that, I don't really like making sprites. But I do like having good sprites to work with in terms of coding. I feel like I've heard this echoed a bunch by people coding for ss13. 

As it stands now, the 'Sprites' forum has little use. People mostly just dump a bunch of random sprites they made up in any image format in their own thread with no features or anything solid in mind. I feel like this forum would have much more use if it was on the root forum path and if it was geared more to be a place where coders could request for people to sprite things for them or spriters to submit their stuff with goals in mind looking for someone to make it functional. Also, posts with completed sprites should be required or encouraged strongly to have a .dmi file with the sprites in it if they are posting images instead of just png's. 

I know they already technically can do this, but it's rather rare. The only truly successful recent post in that regard I can find was for ImmortalSamurai12's post for the Liquid Containers. And I think its still ongoing. 

Additionally, I think it would be a nice addition if medals could be assigned by admins for completing a sprite request or something like that. Sort of how StackOverflow does for correct answers or some subreddits do. But I'm not sure if that's viable in PHP forums like this.
I support this, and also would suggest a sort themed thread where people just made their versions of the same sprites, like common tools
I'd support moving it out of I&S, but I feel like the rest of your post is mostly problems that can be solved by posters.
(05-24-2018, 06:37 AM)Gannets Wrote: I'd support moving it out of I&S, but I feel like the rest of your post is mostly problems that can be solved by posters.

That's true. I mostly included that part in my post because I wanted it to be a little more structured and I felt those suggestions might facilitate users to get more involved in it. Maybe that's just me.
TBH I think sprites would work great if they were moved to become a subforum to patches, with the agreement being that it could arguably be a resource for new patches.