Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Critical Large volumes of repeated messages break the chat window, forcing a hard reconnect
How to replicate (one method, there are other ways, but this is probably the most accessible):

1. Get a skateboard
  2. Set up a skate park (a ring of tables or similarly immobile non-wall objects)
  3. Achieve ludicrous speeds
  4. Wait for a while
  5. Eventually, all the messages piling up will force your chat window to only ever show one line of text at a time.
  6. Even once you get off the skateboard, this state will persist.
  7. Try reconnecting using the options in the "file" drop-down menu
  8. See that it doesn't work.
  9. Manually close the game window and rejoin the server.
  10. Issue is fixed.
Another way to fix it is to clear all text messages and it'll fix without reconnecting, though you still lose all previous messages.
hard to fix
oof, hard to fix indeed. it sounds like the underlying javascript is exploding from the rapid frequency of messages over a prolonged period, although in what specific way I cant say (entering a state of showing only one line of text is bizarre and something I have no explanation for). I have been wanting to rewrite browser output code for a while as I think I can generally improve on the efficiency of the underlying code, buuuut I'm about to be very busy for a while so I can't promise a reasonable timeline for that.

fortunately, this sounds rare-ish. so uhh, just don't skate for hours on end I guess. problem solved you're welcome.
Part of the issue may be that all the skating-related messages are different, and don't "stack" like repeated farts, etc.
You could also disabled/throttle messages at a certain threshold, because this makes chat relatively unusable.
This happened recently while I was wearing a psy-link bracelet on the escape shuttle (and the other person was on the shuttle too). Neither of us were skating.
I get this every time i play blob and sometimes when I’m not. Only once did I notice it slowly break instead of all at once. First the bottom few lines of the output window broke, then a few more. Slowly and during periods of high traffic, the broken area would increase until it filled the whole window
(07-25-2018, 11:35 PM)Kovirii Wrote: Part of the issue may be that all the skating-related messages are different, and don't "stack" like repeated farts, etc.
You could also disabled/throttle messages at a certain threshold, because this makes chat relatively unusable.

Actually, the entire reason this happens is because the skateboard messages *do* stack.

Something in the chat message stacking system is causing this since I have been able to reproduce this same issue with examine messages and chemistry reactions.

In fact, it seems that all stacked messages cause a permanent one-line reduction in chat log length. Normally this is unnoticeable, but the aforementioned extreme scenarios bring the issue to the forefront.
That was exactly the issue, thank you. The chat has a message limit and I was incrementing the current message count before grouping.

Fix pushed!