Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shifting job preferences is finicky.
Moving jobs between different levels is far from straightforward, specially when setup time is low and you want to change your top job or push something to the unwanted category. You need to deal with a pop up window for every single job you want to move.

It would work better if each job had four tabs |Favorite|Medium|Low|Never and clicking one setting would automatically shift its preference.

Alternatively each job could simply have an up and down arrow ↑ ↓ to move one it one level at a time.

Not having to deal with a pop-up would make changes faster.
I agree. I was only able to set HoS and detective before the count ended. Since then I have found it complicated to set up, but once you have it set, it works okay. Still not fun though, when you want to mix it up.
One thing that annoys me about it is that you can't actually see your top preference unless you open the thing up, and as stated above it's really awkward.

I've the same thoughts towards the Reagent Extractor and other computers in a similar vein; too many options and popups compared to a previously functional-if-wonky version.
Yeah, I liked the old system a lot more. It was simple and you could do it quickly. Now I have to go through like 5 menus. Before, if I wanted to play Geneticist, I'd click on the first job, then click Geneticist. And then when I got bored, click on the first job and switch it to miner or something. Now I have to go through a bunch of menus and swap Geneticist down to low priority and miner up to favorite.

Basically, it's a better system for people whose preferences never change but if you're someone like me who changes what job they want every couple of rounds it's clunky and overly complicated.

I think you should strip out the low, medium, and favorite priority things and replace them with the old 1st, 2nd, 3rd preference system, but leave the unwanted jobs section in.
I don't mind it, in the old one I had to shift job preferences a lot. The new one allows as many as you want and gives you a random one.
I like this system, since I'm rarely in the mood to play a specific role so I can just leave "favourite" empty.
Dauntasa Wrote:Yeah, I liked the old system a lot more. It was simple and you could do it quickly. Now I have to go through like 5 menus. Before, if I wanted to play Geneticist, I'd click on the first job, then click Geneticist. And then when I got bored, click on the first job and switch it to miner or something. Now I have to go through a bunch of menus and swap Geneticist down to low priority and miner up to favorite.

Basically, it's a better system for people whose preferences never change but if you're someone like me who changes what job they want every couple of rounds it's clunky and overly complicated.

I think you should strip out the low, medium, and favorite priority things and replace them with the old 1st, 2nd, 3rd preference system, but leave the unwanted jobs section in.

It looks like it works the same way as the old system if you put everything into Unwanted except for your three primary choices.

If you're running with that setup, you can later set up a new high priority, and it'll automatically push the old high priority one into low priority. That's a fairly fast chance which you can do straight before the round starts.
I'm fine with the new system as it is right now. If you want it to be quicker though, instead of having every job have
Clarks Wrote:|Favorite|Medium|Low|Never

why not just keep the current horizontal preference with vertical list layout we have now, and just add arrows on the sides of each job name to push them left or right?

<- Assistant ->
<- Clown->
<- Barman->

just arrange favorite on the far left, and unwanted on the far right.
MyBlueCorners Wrote:<- Assistant ->
<- Clown->
<- Barman->

just arrange favorite on the far left, and unwanted on the far right.
This seems decent. I could include this along with the current way of doing things.

Here's an explanation of how the system now works for anyone who's interested, on a step by step process of how the game does it when a new round begins:

Code:
Load all jobs into the job controller. Cut out any non-functioning ones.

Look through every job loaded into the system, and sort them into High Priority, Regular, and Low Priority category listings.

Get a list of everyone in the lobby who has declared ready, and scramble it into a random order.

Iterate through every job that has been sorted into High Priority. Find players who have it as a favorite and try to find enough to fill the job's limit. If this can't be done, go through the medium and then low priority players looking for candidates until you fill the slots.

Once the high priority jobs are filled, go through the list of every ready player and look at their favorite job. Try to get them into that job if it still has open slots.

If there's anyone left who hasn't been given a job, go through the jobs list and try to find players who didn't get their favorite who have the job in their medium priority preferences.

Do the same again for low priority player preferences.

If Special Jobs have been made available by admins pre-round, try to fit any remaining players into one of those.

If there's any players who STILL don't have a job, throw them a low-priority role.

Note: High-priority jobs at this time are Captain and AI. The only low-priority job is Staff Assistant.