Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Different fighting styles
So hand to hand combat in the game is fairly straightforward. Disarm to push down, harm to beat down, and grab for chokes and holds

We also have wrestling gear, and boxing gear. Someone made sprites of karate give as well.

Well, what if each conferred a fighting bonus related to their style when worn
  • Full Boxing gear could increase your harm style fighting abilities. Use less stamina to punch. Use your special attack to do a two tile distance stamina devestating jab attack for a KO punch
  • Full Wrestling gear greatly increases the effectiveness of grab moves. Greatly increase the success rate of grabs. Decrease the chance rate of people escaping your grabs. Hit different hotkeys to put your opponents in various holds that damage different limbs. Gain throw power and get a special move when armed with a folding chair
  • Full Karate gear increases the effectiveness of disarm moves. Get higher chances to slap away items from people. Shove people into the ground more often. Flip to roll over people. Gain a high stamina damage for thrown weapons
Addendum

A fighting style that doesn't change anything drastically, but adds a lot of cartoon sound effects and little onomatopeia word bubbles like "POW" "ZAP" "THUD" and "BOOM"
(05-13-2018, 04:39 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Addendum

A fighting style that doesn't change anything drastically, but adds a lot of cartoon sound effects and little onomatopeia word bubbles like "POW" "ZAP" "THUD" and "BOOM"

Fake mustache.
(05-13-2018, 04:39 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Addendum

I did notice that there are sprites in the code for batman "pow" and something else. Also there is a batarang sprite. Shame there's no batman job.
I feel like this would just lead to people powergaming and just wearing gear under their armor for the bonuses without having fun with it.

From the title I thought of this idea: Players can choose one of 3 fighting styles in character preferences. Each style makes you stronger or weaker against the other two in hand to hand combat rock-paper-scissors style. You can't tell what other styles people have leading to some fun interactions.
(05-15-2018, 02:50 PM)Arborinus Wrote: From the title I thought of this idea: Players can choose one of 3 fighting styles in character preferences. Each style makes you stronger or weaker against the other two in hand to hand combat rock-paper-scissors style. You can't tell what other styles people have leading to some fun interactions.

I feel like this would lead to some kind of metagaming. I wouldn't bother changing it every round and would probably settle for a style and leave it at that, and I guess I wouldn't be the only one. Then powergamers could use that information to choose their style depending on the players in the lobby. Before the round begins, choosing the style that would give them an advantage against players that they'd consider their biggest threats should they be antags for the round.

But I get the feeling I'm vastly overthinking it since I guess A. people wouldn't bother B. it would only be a slight advantage, they would still need to be more robust in the end.
I thought about not tying it to gear, and what I came up with is that you get the bonus from using one of the work out machines in the gym. At anypoint, use a different machine to retrain yourself to a different style
(05-15-2018, 03:08 PM)Haprenti Wrote:
(05-15-2018, 02:50 PM)Arborinus Wrote: From the title I thought of this idea: Players can choose one of 3 fighting styles in character preferences. Each style makes you stronger or weaker against the other two in hand to hand combat rock-paper-scissors style. You can't tell what other styles people have leading to some fun interactions.

I feel like this would lead to some kind of metagaming. I wouldn't bother changing it every round and would probably settle for a style and leave it at that, and I guess I wouldn't be the only one. Then powergamers could use that information to choose their style depending on the players in the lobby. Before the round begins, choosing the style that would give them an advantage against players that they'd consider their biggest threats should they be antags for the round.

But I get the feeling I'm vastly overthinking it since I guess A. people wouldn't bother B. it would only be a slight advantage, they would still need to be more robust in the end.

I think there shouldn't be any way for them to tell in the first place unless they use a health scanner or something to see what should be slight differences, although funny flavor texts could be cool. What about a "Random" choice by default that tells you what style you have at round start like your PIN?
(05-15-2018, 04:01 PM)Arborinus Wrote: I think there shouldn't be any way for them to tell in the first place unless they use a health scanner or something to see what should be slight differences, although funny flavor texts could be cool. What about a "Random" choice by default that tells you what style you have at round start like your PIN?

Yeah but if it's static round after round you get to know who prefers what style assuming they don't bother changing often. Having it random would solve the problem I guess. Frank's idea about using the gym machines sounds nice.
(05-15-2018, 03:08 PM)Haprenti Wrote:

I can think of two solutions to this
1. Remove the stat changes and just make them ways to change your attacks flavor text
2. Remove the rock paper scissors concept and have them all just have tiny bonuses and debuffs
(05-16-2018, 09:58 AM)New525 Wrote: 2. Remove the rock paper scissors concept and have them all just have tiny bonuses and debuffs

I'd prefer this, really. I.e., you grabs are harder to get out of, but your disarms are weaker.

TG implemented a fighting style for the cook a while back: https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Cook#Close-...rs_Cooking

It's only active within the confines of the kitchen, which I thought was a pretty neat idea for job-specific traits.
(05-17-2018, 01:09 PM)Hikurac Wrote:
(05-16-2018, 09:58 AM)New525 Wrote: 2. Remove the rock paper scissors concept and have them all just have tiny bonuses and debuffs

I'd prefer this, really. I.e., you grabs are harder to get out of, but your disarms are weaker.

TG implemented a fighting style for the cook a while back: https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Cook#Close-...rs_Cooking

It's only active within the confines of the kitchen, which I thought was a pretty neat idea for job-specific traits.

Thought we had that, if we don't then WHY DON'T WE HAVE THAT?!?!

Actually the idea of different jobs being better at combat whilst in their own area sounds cool
CQC sounds interesting if a little bloated. I think I like the idea of hotkeys better.

Click to do one attack, hold another key down and click to do another, click far away to do a third
^^^^^
(05-19-2018, 10:47 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: CQC sounds interesting if a little bloated. I think I like the idea of hotkeys better.

Click to do one attack, hold another key down and click to do another, click far away to do a third

To be fair, that's what CQC is. It's a series of intents, which you can activate via hotkeys.

Ex. CQC Kick: Harm Disarm Harm. It's just 4, 2, and 4, with clicks in between them.

Either way though. I honestly just want more interesting grabbing moves, like what baystation has: https://wiki.baystation12.net/Grabs#Grab_List