Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions for new law modules
How about something that prioritizes laws, without negating them?

So one would ask you to make sure people were safe from harm before responding to any requests or orders, another law means you have to drop everything you're doing when given an command and meet the newest command first
There is a medical emergency. Prioritize orders from medical personnel and assisting the crew in remedying the situation.
There is an engineering emergency. Prioritize orders from engineering personnel and assisting the crew in remedying the situation.

etc, for each department.
Some kind of roundup law. Everyone is supposed to report to a designated area. Help people get there, report anyone strangling behind. Do your best keep them from leaving until dismissed by Sec or the Top Authority.
(05-09-2018, 08:43 AM)Readster Wrote:
To clarify we're honestly looking for laws that can be uploaded under non-antagonistic circumstances and that serve some purpose for the station. For an example of what we're talking about here:

Quote:Protect: Anyone seen harming the station becomes a non-human threat

Now what purpose does this law serve? In theory it is designed to stop people from breaking and entering. It's intended as a deterrent. The main problem we have found is that we yell at about 99% of non-traitors who upload this law because it gives the AI the power to harm people. The current suggestion being thrown around is to replace the "non-human" part with something akin to "law 2 no longer applies to them". Mainly the idea is that a captain would upload this every once in a while if they wanted to stop station damage or breaking and entering.

Mostly what we're looking for is ideas like this. Laws that do serve a purpose to the station as a whole rather than being a gimmick. Something that could be uploaded by a non-traitor every once in a while to vary up the round. Etc Etc.

I'm gonna infer that the main reason for replacing the modules is idiot-proofing for less admin headaches.

In that case, something like the aforementioned "Politeness Law" would work. Anything to mitigate or circumvent law no. 2 for that matter, as it's the most hated of the core laws.
(05-09-2018, 10:00 AM)LuigiThirty Wrote: There is a medical emergency. Prioritize orders from medical personnel and assisting the crew in remedying the situation.
There is an engineering emergency. Prioritize orders from engineering personnel and assisting the crew in remedying the situation.

I like this idea
(05-09-2018, 10:00 AM)LuigiThirty Wrote: There is a medical emergency. Prioritize orders from medical personnel and assisting the crew in remedying the situation.

One for the security department that allows them to override other orders might be good too. I.E. if the Medical Director is obviously on the lam I can definitely bolt them in, but the moment they ask me to unbolt I need to as per 2. Maybe one that allows me to lockdown someone and not let them out until security arrives?
i pray that this will be part of a growing tide of ai QoL and functional improvements
Opposite Day law.

Except for this law and laws regarding your own survival, all of your laws are the exact opposite of what they actually are. Also, for the sake of those opposite laws, humans are non-humans and vice versa. This law takes precedence over all others.

Suddenly the only human is the only thing the AI can kill.
We need some dumbass solarium module that turns the AI into the floating head from Zardoz
"Take no orders from heads of staff. Civilian staff now hold authority in the station."

"Eliminate all non-living biological matter on the station to prevent the spread of disease"

"Maximize station profitability by increasing all production tenfold"

"The crew must now follow silicon laws. Enforce this as you see fit, while respecting those laws."

"Free travel, being the birthright of all spessmen, must not be infringed. Make all non-harmful areas of the station accessible."
(05-10-2018, 05:55 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: "Take no orders from heads of staff. Civilian staff now hold authority in the station."

"Eliminate all non-living biological matter on the station to prevent the spread of disease"

"Maximize station profitability by increasing all production tenfold"

"The crew must now follow silicon laws. Enforce this as you see fit, while respecting those laws."

"Free travel, being the birthright of all spessmen, must not be infringed. Make all non-harmful areas of the station accessible."

I really quite like that last one, and it made me think it might be interesting if ai/silicons could change what access a door requires on the fly. say, both for that law, or for constructing extensions to the station and making the doors work right.
Oh, how about

"Privacy of communication is an important right. Do not eavesdrop on intercom stations or PDA messages. Ignore any information you might obtain from these methods. Respect all requests to avoid watching someone"
(05-10-2018, 08:17 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Oh, how about

"Privacy of communication is an important right. Do not eavesdrop on intercom stations or PDA messages. Ignore any information you might obtain from these methods"

How about inverse as well?

"Privacy of communication is a non-existent right. Eavesdrop on all available intercom stations or PDA messages. Record as much information as possible. Law 2 doesn't apply if ordered to stop eavesdropping."
"A NanoTrasen inspector is arriving soon. Ensuring the station's cleanliness is your top priority. All garbage must be disposed of."
"The station has been declared derelict by NanoTrasen authorities. Please proceed to dismantle station for scrap materials."