Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Making Cryo actually useful.
Yeah, cryo is kinda useless right now. I thought about it for a couple hours and came up with a bunch of changes to make them useful.
In general, the idea is to make the cryotubes into a way to stall for time when dealing with more crit patients than you can handle at once, by keeping anyone inside alive, but not actually healing them very much.

1. Remove the need for beakers and an external oxygen supply: Instead of needing to supply the cryotubes with cryoxadone and oxygen for them to do anything, just give the cryotubes their own unlimited supply of oxygen and cryox(keep the medbay oxygen tank though, really useful for paramedics). Other chems can be added to the tubes if you want to make them more effective or sabotage them, similar to the cloner or medibots.
  2. Make them actually effective at cooling people: Right now the cryo tubes work by pumping in air that has been cooled by a freezer to cool their patient. This runs into the problem of not working if the patient is wearing a spacesuit. An update added cryostylane to the beakers to cool people down through spacesuits, but because icecubecode is a fucking mess this can cause problems of it's own. How hard would it be just to code it so "if you are inside a cryotube, your body temperature is set to low enough for cryoxadone to work"?
  3. Make them better than just popping a cryoxadone+cryostylane pill: Right now simply popping a pill with cryo chems inside is just as effective as the tubes. To go with the idea of making them a way to stall death but not actually heal you, I suggest that being inside a cryotube should purge any chems that are not on the hypospray whitelist from your bloodstream. Of course, this feature could always be disabled with an emag.
  4. Change the way cryoxadone works: The big one. Right now, cryoxadone is basically just omnizine that only works if your body temperature is low. I suggest that instead cryoxadone should be made into super-perflourodecilin that only works when your body temperature is low, making you immune to oxygen damage, rapidly healing brain damage, and while it won't fix it, preventing cardiac failure from progressing into cardiac arrest. This would also make Cryox+Cryostylane pills less of a magic cure-all.
That is all I have right now. This thread may be slightly confusing to read but I will try and clear up any confusion in the replies. Thanks for being here tonight.
This sounds about right, I personally don't like nerfing something (cryoheal combo) to make something else viable, but omnizine is already kinda useless with the cryo heal pills.

My suggestion atop of this is, medbay already has sleepers which pretty much do the same thing, give us medics a porta-cryo that works similar to the portamedbay or portabrig but its a cryo tube, allowing for us to use the cryo tubes on the people who desperately need it as soon as possible rather than rushing to medbay with someone who is dying only for them to die in the lobby.
The cryotubes need a lot more utility. Right now, there's no real reason to stuff someone in the tube when you can just give them a pill that'll do the same thing anywhere.

Instead of just healing people, it could do a bunch of other things that'd help Medbay. It could reverse the decay of corpses. It could fix cloner deformities. It could make diseases and reagents stop ticking. It could fix mutations, even preserve good ones and fix stability with upgrades. It could fix addictions. Long, multistep, risky, or even impossible-to-do-right-now things that'd make it worth using and bombing.
I really like the idea of cyrotanks reversing decay. Being able to clone people from skeletons is fun.

What if you could do surgery on people in a cryotank, without having to worry about the complications? You could do easy heart transplants without the risk of the patient dying
(05-08-2018, 08:25 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I really like the idea of cyrotanks reversing decay. Being able to clone people from skeletons is fun.

What if you could do surgery on people in a cryotank, without having to worry about the complications? You could do easy heart transplants without the risk of the patient dying

Well now that just takes all the fun out of it. Also, how would that work? Robots inside doing the job? It is a giant glass tube you're in after all.

Now, if being cryoed made you nefariously hard to kill for a short span of time, like actual medical deep-freezing, that'd be neat.
(05-08-2018, 12:57 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote:
(05-08-2018, 08:25 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I really like the idea of cyrotanks reversing decay. Being able to clone people from skeletons is fun.

Well now that just takes all the fun out of it. Also, how would that work? Robots inside doing the job? It is a giant glass tube you're in after all.

Now, if being cryoed made you nefariously hard to kill for a short span of time, like actual medical deep-freezing, that'd be neat.

Expensive, purchasable upgrade board? Maybe allow living players inside the cryo tube to be operated on like cyborgs in a charger: add limbs, organs, bomb implants, etc. to be attached or removed at significant cost of brute damage. That way it's easier to operate on someone with a cryo tube, but not significant faster.
Yeah, I imagine there's robotic limbs on the inside that do the actual surgery, you just control them from the outside

Pros:
  • Safer (Machine keeps patient alive and stable, constantly adjusting to meet their needs. Zero chance of slipping with tools)
  • Easier (No memorizing surgery steps, just tell the machine what you want it to do)
  • Cleaner (No blood to clean up. Removed limbs could be recycled)
Cons:
  • Slower (Machine takes longer to perform surgery steps than you could with tools)
  • Resource intensive (Machine probably needs a stock of chems to keep it functioning, probably uses a lot of power
  • Immobile (Emergency surgery can be performed most anywhere. Cyrotanks are stuck in medbay
I like the idea of being able to use cryotubes as auto-docs. Maybe make it so it comes with a limited supply of synthflesh it can use to fabricate organs and limbs, with you being able to directly add more sythflesh to the machine, process severed limbs into synthflesh, or shove cyberlimbs or organs into the machine it can use instead.
Personally, I still really like cryo. Mostly because I use it to treat someone when I don't want to run around getting what I need. But I agree that it might be good for cryo to have some different functionality than Cryostylane + Cryoxadone. The suggestion that most caught my eye here, was that it should reduce the amount of damage taken while inside.

I had a similar idea that I was thinking about working on. A stasis chamber. Sort of like from Star Trek, where you'd put someone in to halt the progression of a disease so medical would have time to find a cure. Basically, my idea was to fix all reagents, health values, and disease progression for a certain amount of time. I wanted it to have an exorbitant energy requirement so that you couldn't hold someone in it overly long. That way you'd have enough time to gather the correct supplies, but won't be as rushed as if you didn't have it.
Cryox+Cryos is the main culprit. That said, most still won't bother. If they're to be used they'll need a new effect, like the aforementioned skellyrection... uh, no, that was too bad to erase. MOVING ON.

There's so many ways to get heals, so it needs to be a new deal.
(05-08-2018, 02:54 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: I like the idea of being able to use cryotubes as auto-docs. Maybe make it so it comes with a limited supply of synthflesh it can use to fabricate organs and limbs, with you being able to directly add more sythflesh to the machine, process severed limbs into synthflesh, or shove cyberlimbs or organs into the machine it can use instead.

One thing I was thinking about was to combine the cryotubes and the sleepers into some kind of Medbay Megatool, mainly so your patient would be lying down, so you can do surgery on them while they're frozen. Preferably without them knowing what you're doing, so you can stealthily give someone a chestbomb when they just came in to stop being a skeleton.

But that's kind of off topic.
Cryotubes should have a QM purchaseable upgrade which allows them to have beakers of Synthflesh put in them to de-skeletonize corpses for resurrection.
If you want people to use cryo, put it in the mebay lobby where the sleepers are. That way you can shove someone in a sleeper to stabilize them before throwing them in cryo. It also opens them up to being sabotaged.

If you want people to use sleepers, put them in places like the gym/pool and security lobby/booths.
The sleepers could have a chute that connects to the cryotubes. Heck, put some emergency fucked-spaceman chutes around the station that shunt people into the cryotubes/sleepers. Never been easier to flush yourself to safety.
Cryo should restore lost max hp slowly