Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Trivial help! mining is broken!!!
Brick 
i've been enjoying being a trash hunter in z5 digging up drone colonies and hat stashes

but i think it's time we fixed the broken mining shit that's been neglected after a bunch a changes

ORE SATCHELS

i'm pretty sure you were able to use them like produce satchels
i.e click drag your ore of choice and it'd fill up nearby piles of said ore
that doesn't work currently probably due to the way ore was changed to be stacked into an accumulated item but that itself is pure jank

and related to that is
MATERIAL RECLAIMER

made a stack of those hard earned gold nuggets?? put it into a reclaimer? only produces 1 bar of gold instead of 10 or 20 or however many you had in the stack.
however the material processor is fine but not the reclaimer. perhaps update the reclaimer to acknowledge the change???????
should probably also allow the ability to dump ore satchels into reclaimers too since you technically can do it with fabricators albeit this feature was from before materials had to be processed.

ROCK DRILL RIG

was too op in all regards, literally encapsulated the spirit of TURDS into one item, so now you gotta make it from the ship fab, except it's fucked or im fuckin dumb

plasma cutter system
10 Power Source, 10 Dense Metal
rock drill rig
10 Power Source, 10 Dense Metal, 20 Extraordinarily Dense Crystalline Matter

i can make plasma cutters but apparently extra fuckin dense crystals isn't uqill??? i even went to dig up that purple kosh shit too but that didn't work either

and that's what i've found so far... unless this is intended for some kinda artificial difficulty ceiling then fuck me!
(05-07-2018, 04:25 AM)drymelon Wrote: ORE SATCHELS

that doesn't work currently probably due to the way ore was changed to be stacked into an accumulated item but that itself is pure jank

Do people really use these outside of having them attached to a scoop? I mean, I agree that they should act similarly to the produce satchel, but this is an interesting workflow that I'm not sure what it's for.

(05-07-2018, 04:25 AM)drymelon Wrote: MATERIAL RECLAIMER

made a stack of those hard earned gold nuggets?? put it into a reclaimer? only produces 1 bar of gold instead of 10 or 20 or however many you had in the stack.
however the material processor is fine but not the reclaimer. perhaps update the reclaimer to acknowledge the change???????
should probably also allow the ability to dump ore satchels into reclaimers too since you technically can do it with fabricators albeit this feature was from before materials had to be processed.

The reclaimer is a legacy item that is still around because the new replacement (the processor) hasn't had all of its kinks worked out yet. Yes, the fact that it eats stacks of ore sucks. Rather than making the reclaimer work better, I imagine we'll just be working on making the processor better then get rid of the reclaimer. Trust me, coders are aware of the materials system's... well, let's say "quirkiness".

(05-07-2018, 04:25 AM)drymelon Wrote: ROCK DRILL RIG

was too op in all regards, literally encapsulated the spirit of TURDS into one item, so now you gotta make it from the ship fab, except it's fucked or im fuckin dumb

plasma cutter system
10 Power Source, 10 Dense Metal
rock drill rig
10 Power Source, 10 Dense Metal, 20 Extraordinarily Dense Crystalline Matter

i can make plasma cutters but apparently extra fuckin dense crystals isn't uqill??? i even went to dig up that purple kosh shit too but that didn't work either

and that's what i've found so far... unless this is intended for some kinda artificial difficulty ceiling then fuck me!

Dense is not the same as hard. That said, based on some tweaks it looks like this may be harder (no pun intended) to make than planned. This could be tweaked decently easily, but it's not supposed to be an early-round item.
I think the Pod rockdrill could be salvaged as a tool that I'd great for destroying and weakening rock, but making it something you wouldn't want to use for digging out ore

Have it either destroy what are you would have gotten, or just greatly reduce it's quantity/quality
(05-07-2018, 05:56 AM)Mordent Wrote: Dense is not the same as hard. That said, based on some tweaks it looks like this may be harder (no pun intended) to make than planned. This could be tweaked decently easily, but it's not supposed to be an early-round item.

if you're thinking about balancing what should come first then consider that miners can become human panzers with turbo legs faster than making drills for pods. pods that no longer can enter shuttles too. and i guess i should have tried diamonds too
(05-07-2018, 05:56 AM)Mordent Wrote:
(05-07-2018, 04:25 AM)drymelon Wrote: ORE SATCHELS

Do people really use these outside of having them attached to a scoop? I mean, I agree that they should act similarly to the produce satchel, but this is an interesting workflow that I'm not sure what it's for.

Cyborgs need this badly.  Not doing this effectively gives them two bags they can't use in any way.
christ what the fuck did gems also break?? or do the gems that spawn in the asteroids on z5 just broken??

it's only spawning variations of quartz? like clear quartz or imperfect cracked, etc etc

usually once you process the gems it tells you what it is, like a sapphire or jade and all that

and even the gemstones that come out of bling blasters were all bugged quartz. haven't been able to find one of those locked crates full of gems to do more testing. p sure its fucked though
All gems appear to be various quartzes. Flawed flawed quartz, cracked cracked quartz, etc. Gems are indeed not spawning properly.
Additionally, stacking various ores makes them take up only one slot regardless of quality. I don't know if this part is intentional or not, but an autostacking mechanism would help a lot.
The gem thing is likely a bug that has been around forever but went unnoticed because we didn't use that system anymore in favour of the magnet.
I'll take a look at it.
[Image: Wvj2xAh.png]
rip mining

pretty sure gems were fine about a month or two ago?
Yeah, gems are entirely broken. Even ones coming from the mining magnet don't seem to ever be anything but quartz.