Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Round type vote
We vote for maps. I think it's a neat idea to vote for round types too. Either vote for round types in-game or perhaps set your favorite round types in your preferences page. You can vote for multiple round types, just check off all the round types that you prefer!

When the round starts, the round type would be calculated as follows:

1/3 chance of ignoring what anyone wants and using the current probabilities
2/3 chance of the following:

Each round type is selected with probability proportional to player votes. In mathspeak, each round type is with probability (sum over all players (1 / #players)*(1 if type checked, 0 o/w)/(number of round types selected)
I don't know how well the formula would work, but being able to vote for the round would be fun, seeing as traitor can be absolutely annoying and boring at times
Really? That's my favorite type. It has way more gimmick and creative potential than something like ling.

In this case the formula will place higher weight on the round types that we both like
Mixed... You never know what's around and I never see vampires anyway
Maybe have the vote come up with four random choices and folks vote on that, preferably at the end of the round so if you had to deal with a particular antag that just ticked everyone off, you can vote against it.
What if you voted for the the round you didn't want? So then the round that is least wanted is removed from the pool?
Can I vote for a admin round?
(04-30-2018, 04:21 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: What if you voted for the the round you didn't want? So then the round that is least wanted is removed from the pool?

I like this idea. A lot.

It keeps the element of surprise in play while also keeping things from getting stale.
I wouldnt want to drop a round type completely. The reason I chose the formula I did is because it does sometimes pick lesser requested rounds. That way people who like the less popular rounds do still get to see it. If we did what Frank suggested I would bet that it would be the same round type dropped every single time.
Idea: Voting for round types should cost spacebux
On the one hand, I really think that letting players have any real idea what the next round type will be kind of fucks with one of the fundamental conceits of how/why this game is what it is. Part of the charm and fun comes from the mystery and paranoia that comes from never being quite sure what's around the corner, literally and metaphorically.

That said, I also do think it might be fun to vote for rounds, especially since some round-types are woefully infrequent.

I think the best option might be simply to tweak the round type frequencies. That said, though, I think allowing round type votes but making them cost spacebux might be a good middle ground. Maybe also make it that you don't get any spacebux from the round that ensues, that way you have another incentive - besides the spacebux themselves - not to vote for it and to keep it random.
I personally like seeing more uses for spacebux.

My thought on that is to use the spacebux vote to add more weight towards a certain round type or take away weight towards a round type rather than just saying next round is wizard round.

Lets see if my sleep deprived mind will make an example that makes sense.

Round's ending, and a list of all of the roundtypes pops up while we're all fucking around eating death ice cream at centcom. The popup shows all round types, and 'add' 'reduce' buttons next to each one. I decide I really want to play in a blob round, so I press 'add' to blob and spend 250 spacebux. But I REALLY hated the last ling round so i press 'reduce' to changeling, spending another 250 spacebux. The only response the popup would have is showing your new balance, and thanking you for voting. You can only vote add and reduce once so for example I can't reduce both ling and wizard, i have to pick one.

On the backend, this would just change the weight of each round type. I don't know shit on how it's normally picked so incoming bullshit from me.
Say there's a 12% chance of blob being picked, with my add, it will make it now a 16% chance to be picked. If a bunch of people vote for a roundtype to the point it goes over 100%, it still keeps accepting votes so that folks won't know that it's a guaranteed round.

but that's a lot of work and i'm going to laugh if rev/gang constantly gets negative voted to oblivion
Im gonna have to disagree with anything that messes with round type frequency/availability. Even if the numbers are hidden people could still influence the vote throught the radio or OOC. If people are finding round types boring or unfun it would be better to post suggestions on how to improve them. For example if people are finding traitor boring I would suggest increasing the number of round-start traitors.

Unless of course it were to be added on a new server, with the more exploitable gamemodes removed from the pool and just thrown in randomly at times.

That being said I wouldn't mind being able to vote for non-rp deathmatch type modes.
It's not bad, but a number of game modes like Nuke Ops or Lings require secrecy for them to work well. Take that away and you suddenly have people ordering phasers to arm themselves against the nukies that definitely are going to come, or random blood tests on people and setting every corpse to arrest.

Even if you don't announce what game mode won, people are still gonna be doing these things with the only justification being "Well I voted for it and I'm not the antag, so it's probably what we're dealing with". And as much fun as it would be to see people armed to the teeth with anti-blob or anti-nuke weaponry only to have Gang or rev mode kick in, I don't think it would be a good idea.

Maybe voting to remove a game mode would be fine? I'll think on it for a while yet.
One thing about voting to remove a round, that gives an easily measured metric for the least liked rounds. Could be useful for prioritizing which ones to work on
I'd rather have the way Secret works reworked another way. A system like the new one for the allocation of antagonists, based on statistics.